No announcement yet.

Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or check out Catfish's website that's listed in his profile. He's pulled off some real winners with unit shading.

Also, take a look at the updated Red Front for ToT thread in the SL Civ2 forums.

Comment

• Well, i think this proves soren's point about the concentric circle theory, and Civ3 designers being ... overly optimistic ... about hitting the civ2 circle AND the civ1 circle ... Tuttle, you and your crew are in the part of the civ2 circle not inside the civ3 circle pretty clearly. Hardcore gamers that liked certain aspects of civ2 and were willing to put up with certain problems with it because you didn't like certain changes made to get civ3 ... but yet civ3 had (has) a much wider audience overall than civ2 did, because of those changes. You lose some people -- who are generally still quite happy to play the older game -- but overall you move on to get the larger group. Perhaps sad - not necessarily - but how the capitalist gaming world works.

(If you aren't familiar, go read his .ppt presentation on "Game Franchises" ... ask Trip for the link, it's in one of his threads somewhere.)
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• If anyone is interested, I just posted my idea for civil war and regional separatism in Civ 4. The thread is in the Civ 4 forum.
        Last edited by Wycoff; December 2, 2004, 21:54.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• Just some Civ IV news for those who don't stop by the Civ IV forum...

First few screenshots for Civ IV have been released, scanned, and posted. You can check them out in the thread I just posted:

Comment

• from the article:

* Development is being headed by creator Sid Meier himself.
            * Civ IV has been written entirely from scratch.
            * The 3D engine will allow you to zoom smoothly from a global view all the way down to a single city.
            * Individual units will gain experience and acquire new upgrades such as bonuses against specific enemy types and the ability to use enemy roads.
            * No more spearmen defeating tanks.
            * Besides incorporating new technologies, the tech tree has been changed to allow radically different research paths to the same high-level technologies. Now you won’t have to follow a strict research path to be competitive later in the game – a design that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
            * Civilization IV has been designed to fully support the mod community. The game is written using flexible XML data files and the Python scripting language so that modders will have no trouble at all creating their own personalized worlds, units, technologies, and historical events. Advanced modders will even be able to control the AI.
            * Civ4 has been designed from the outset to include the multiplayer mode. You will be able to team up in co-op mode against the AI or other teams of players, and a random-map generator ensures an equal start.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• sounds good

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• If I see one spearman defeat a tank, I will burn Firaxis studios to the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                  * The 3D engine will allow you to zoom smoothly from a global view all the way down to a single city.
                  If they go 3D just for the sake of being 3D, I will destroy them.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Nothing wrong with GOOD use of 3D.

--
                    If I see one spearman defeat a tank, I will burn Firaxis studios to the ground.

Better keep your lighter close then, ey.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• For those of you who previously said that Firaxis should visit Apolyton more...

I started identical threads at CFC and Apolyton at the same time about the Civ 4 screenshots, and after 3 hours, the Apolyton thread has around 100 views, while the CFC thread has around 700.

I think that says a lot in itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip
                        For those of you who previously said that Firaxis should visit Apolyton more...

I started identical threads at CFC and Apolyton at the same time about the Civ 4 screenshots, and after 3 hours, the Apolyton thread has around 100 views, while the CFC thread has around 700.

I think that says a lot in itself.
                        Why isn't there a Civ 4 forum on CFC? I went there to post something, only to discover that there was no forum. Why is there no forum?
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• There is, it's a subforum of the Civ 3 forum... and it still gets far more activity than the Apolyton Civ 4 forum.

Comment

• CFC had 'poly beat on Civ3 right from the start. Mostly because CFC had better actual Civ3 site content at first, and then it drew in more people to the forums.

Also, maybe more americans on CFC, more euros on ACS?
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• We can compare them 24 hours later, I think that CFC will still hold a fairly large lead.

Comment

• Our Civ4 list project appears to be better organized than theirs.

Comment

Working...
                                X