No announcement yet.

Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the record, I didn't start ripping Civ 3 until after I played it for a week. I haven't played it since that first week, in fact I've played Civ 2 more than Civ 3 since it came out.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander
      For the record, I didn't start ripping Civ 3 until after I played it for a week. I haven't played it since that first week, in fact I've played Civ 2 more than Civ 3 since it came out.
      Civ3 has undergone considerable improvement since it came out. If you still have your Civ3 copy, you should look for some cheap copy of Conquests somewhere. Almost all features that make a good Civ-game are here, and the strategies are much more interesting than in Civ2 (the IA puts an actual challenge to unexperienced players).

I am one of those people who see Civ3 as a badly rushed product when it first came out, but thanks to excellent support, the game now has almost everything I expect from a Civ game
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• You mean they patched the game to include wonder movies and a better palace?
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

• Certainly, because those are the defining factors in what makes a good game.

Comment

• I've serious considered putting "If CivIV has wonder movies I won't buy it" in my signature.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• If you're not going to have wonder movies, then put that extra effort into making a friendlier, more fun game. Civ 3 wasn't very friendly or fun. The graphics... ugh.
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                I've serious considered putting "If CivIV has wonder movies I won't buy it" in my signature.
                I'm sure as soon as you do that will be the first thing slammed on Sid's desk Monday morning.

Comment

• The only way to make Civ4 a better sequel than Civ3 was would be to make it deeper and more complex, which ain't gonna happen. Well, maybe the editability will do it.

I really would like to have Wonder movies, but I don't care so much about the Palace, and definitely neither is a deciding factor for me.

I think I would say Civ3 was friendly.

Comment

• The only way to make Civ4 a better sequel than Civ3 was would be to make it deeper and more complex, which ain't gonna happen. Well, maybe the editability will do it.
                    Depth and complexity don't necessarily go hand in hand. Well, it depends on what you mean by "depth". Europa Universalis, for example, is a deeper simulation than Civ3, but I don't think it has a deeper gameplay. Chess is a lot more simple (the basic rules are a lot simpler) than both Europa Universalis and Civ, but its gameplay is twice as deep as both Europa and Civ. If I had to choose, I would choose gameplay over complexity. Say no to complexity for complexity's sake! Say no to realism for realism's sake!
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• There's too much on topic discussion for this thread to be here.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Yeah, really it belongs in the Civ4 forum because that's what it most directly affects. I just figured as long as the thread was here and the most active one on the subject, it was the best place for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Civ3 has undergone considerable improvement since it came out. If you still have your Civ3 copy, you should look for some cheap copy of Conquests somewhere. Almost all features that make a good Civ-game are here, and the strategies are much more interesting than in Civ2 (the IA puts an actual challenge to unexperienced players).

I am one of those people who see Civ3 as a badly rushed product when it first came out, but thanks to excellent support, the game now has almost everything I expect from a Civ game
                          Yes, the game was released far to early but it is now a nice game. It sucks you have to spend a total of $100 and wait two years to get the game you should have gotten for $49.95 but at least they eventually fixed it.
                          Last edited by Dinner; November 27, 2004, 00:30.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor
                            Not that there's enough info to go on, but i'm guessing the 'rights to civilization' probably dont include SMAC. After all the use of the word civilization was what caused all the legal problems for Activision with their first Call To Power game, so it would follow these rights that have been bought would be fairly literal, which is a shame as SMAC needs updating too.
                            SMAC rights are actually part of the Civ brand, although Colonization is not for some reason (this news story describes the sale to Firaxis most of the non-Civ Sid Meier properties; this is probably the best reason to hope that Firaxis might have bought the rest of the bunch as well.)

There is hope that Firaxis might have bought the rights basically as a short cash move, allowing Atari/Infogrames a little more cash now, and ultimately giving Firaxis a bit more creative control and a bit more of the profits, but not actually changing anything - Firaxis bought the rights to Pirates, but still published it with Atari, for example.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              There's too much on topic discussion for this thread to be here.
                              All general Civ and even Civ 4 news is posted in the OT, so I figured this is where the admins wanted it. Plus the thread gets more activity here. It's not like many OTers read the nearly-dead Civ 4 forum...

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                                Constructive criticism? Heh, you're funny.

Yes, some of that happens here, but far too often it is theads screaming about how the developers are each and every one an asswipe because they didn't do things the way the flamer KNOWS is the ONLY way to do them. I can't count the times I've seen members of the staff of Firaxis singled out and called idiots, or worse. The people who habitually did it are still able to post, and flame.

Not to mention that somewhere along the way, the administration and senior moderation of this site just sort of... lost interest. I know Mark played Civ3 and the expansions, but aside from him, who from this site that matters is involved? It's like the people who drive Poly don't care.

Given that, you would come here to talk about your job?
                                you have good points, but I still think its in the interests of their fans to post here. If they care about the people they make games for...

Comment

Working...
                                X