No announcement yet.

Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks a much stronger side, doesn't it? Not far away from the outfit that played us. Except Useless is on the bench instead of starting. And it's incredible that the Beer Gut holds his spot. Will he be substituted this time if he can't throw? I have to say, last week, the looks on the jumpers' faces every time the ball sailed over their outstretched mitts (to be collected by the oppo out the back) were priceless.

If les grenouilles get their act together in the midfield, though, you could be in for a tough night. Particularly with Useless on the bench as back-up option. I shall also look forward to seeing how mobile Corry is against the grenouille flankers. Has he played any club footy? How rusty is he going to be?
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The balance is better everywhere but the midfield. I'm happier with this team, if not the bench.

I don't understand the Thompson situation myself - Paul is pulled after 22 minutes for being useless whilst Lardy gets given another 10 caps every time he is.

The Centres would have been a problem even if my prefered choice of Smith came in (Barkley has a kicking game but is slight compared to the French centres) - as it stands if France click our combination there is in trouble as I would reiterate my view that Noon is a solid club player and no more.

Cozza I have no worries about - he sat behind Dayglo so many years (when arguably the better player) that he will perform. He last played on 2nd January when we beat Glaws at their place incidentally.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• You'd have to think the coach has no regard for the back-up hookers. Or doesn't think they're any better than the incumbent anyway.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I agree - and that gives me concern about both his eyesight and his Intelligence.

Check the League table - Titterall plays for Sale, Chuter (A side) plays for Tigers and Thompson plays for Saints. The relative league positions alone should give you some idea who has a competent hooker?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
            Paul has failed at every asking - Tamerlin will remember Paris in 2002 when Paul bottled it. Why risk him against France again?
            I don't remember Paul's performance in 2002 but I think this a good idea to give a player another chance.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Having lost 7 from 10 tests I very much understand where you are coming from. Rebuilding is painful - and not helped by a coach who makes bizarre decisions such as Steve Thompson retaining his starting place.
              I have always heard that a team is playing badly in the wake of a world chamionship title. I suppose that a team needs to reach a maturity to win such a competition and that the level can only go down after that.

The trouble is France have a settled side that on paper should be formidable - performances like NZ and Scotland simply should not come from them?
              On the paper the team should be good though I don't agree with the overall selection. IMO, some players would replace advantageously some of those selected sunday. Traille has been very bad as a centre and I really don't understand why he is not at least on the bench. About Dimitri Yachvili, well, you all know what I am thinking about him and I really don't think he is the man of the situation. As Pierre Berbizier, who holds a deep grudge against the French Federation, has remembered it to everyone, it is the 24th halves' pair mister Laporte is testing. Perhaps I know nothing, this is certainly the best way to help the players getting used to play together.

In the same spirit, Bernard Laporte is aiming at the 2007 World Championship, this is certainly the reason why he is selecting a fly half that will certainly end his carreer before it.

Either this man is a fool, either he is a genious with a master plan. Don't ask me which option I believe in.

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• So - which option DO you believe in?

Yachvilli had a torrid time at the hands of Ellis in the second half at Welford road so he is a strange choice I think.

Excuse my ignorance but is Delaigue the Fly half? The lad from Castres?

Comment

So - which option DO you believe in?
                  When I wrote this sentence I wondered who would ask first?

I will only say that I don't believe in the second one...

Yachvilli had a torrid time at the hands of Ellis in the second half at Welford road so he is a strange choice I think.
                  Though I have not seen him playing since a long time I only know that, to the exception of most of the grand slam game againt England last year, I have never seen him playing well with the French team. So this is a strange choice indeed.

Excuse my ignorance but is Delaigue the Fly half? The lad from Castres?
                  Exact... and former Stade Toulousain's Fly-half.

Comment

• I bet you thought Finbar would ask first?

Does that mean the former Stade Toulousain's fly half is keeping the current one out of the national side?

I've just seen that the 'A' fixture is live on Sky Sports tonight at 7:45pm. Tigers have Chuter, Deacon, Goode and Smith in the game so I shall watch with interest.

It also features the young lock combination I rate so highly with Brown also playing.

The only down side is it's at Bath's ground - and that was a quagmire last Saturday when we played there.

Comment

I bet you thought Finbar would ask first?
                      I thought he would be the first to see the opportunity because of his local time.

Does that mean the former Stade Toulousain's fly half is keeping the current one out of the national side?
                      Yes, and we miss him, his replacement as second fly-half on the bench (Jean-Frédéric Dubois) is suffering from the comparison.

The only down side is it's at Bath's ground - and that was a quagmire last Saturday when we played there.
                      Last week-end was a nightmare for the Stade Toulousain who lost away from home 16-18 against the Aviron Bayonnais, one of the last teams of the French Championship.

Comment

• I think I can help you all understand Robinson's selection of a hooker.
                        His choice 1 can't throw. Hid choice 2 can't play. On that everyone agrees.
                        So, the only sensible conclusion is that Andy Robinson is trying to pump up the confidence of all hookers in the world that they are world class hookers. I know I can throw as badly as Thompson for instance, so this is a great relief when I miss a throw in a match. Robinson is lifitn the spirits of all hookers in the world thanks to his selection. A big to him for that reason. I almost feel like I can play good rugby when I see his choice players.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• A short summary of today's matches:
                            Italy - Wales: Very little to a lot.
                            Scotland - Ireland: Very little to a lot too.

The Italians were a bit unlucky on the third welsh try, which was a try according to the law but not the spirit. It's a shame that someone putting the ball down 15 cm away from the line be awarded a try, just because the protection of the bar slided a little. Apart from that, the Welsh produced a very nice game of movement. Their winger, Shane Williams is definitely the greatest danger of that team. He was instrumental in 4 of the Welsh tries and shows great class at every match he plays. Italy held more or less during one half, but they desperately need some backs, particularly centers.

The Scots were good for about 5 minutes. Then they lost their balls, and suffered greatly from the Irish mauls. The Irish forwards played a great game, with excellent mauls and their prop scoring a try in the position of a winger.

Now we have seen the nice match with backs running everywhere and the nice match with great forward play on a muddy ground. I'm afraid England-France tomorrow is thus bound to be a boring kick exchange.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

I thought he would be the first to see the opportunity because of his local time.
                              I wasn't here. I was interstate! Otherwise I would have asked!

Comment

• Half time: England 17 - France 6

I can't believe I stayed up till 2am to watch this shambles! I'm going to bed and taping the rest of the match! I'll watch the second half tomorrow. If the game doesn't get any better, I'm taking legal action against all of you - Havak, Tamerlin and LDiCesares - for keeping me out of bed under false pretences!

Comment

Working...
                                X