No announcement yet.

Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finbar, whether you want it or not... you are an Australian!
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Last week I put the History of Rugby video in the mail to you. I had to fill out a little customs slip declaring it wasn't a bomb. I'm famous for being a liar!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
        I'm famous for being a liar!
        Typically Australian, isn't it?
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Has he finally gone to bed? Yes? Good.

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The word ‘Australian’ is appearing with increasing frequency ever since you asked not to be called it – strange that?

but it will be much harder against England with a back row that's not used to playing together.
            England have a lot of injury worries themselves – including the back row – so don’t worry too much. I agree you will miss Betsen – he would have scared Hodgson out the game.

Tigers 32 – Quins 17

The score flattered us – it was a poor game. Jonno missed it with a back that had ‘tightened up’ Friday. Moody missed it with a Hammy tweak.

All told at the moment England have injury concerns over Dawson, Noon, Hazell and Moody. The scratch back row is therefore set to become scratchier (if such a word exists!).

Stupid doesn't have to mean lacking in intelligence. Plenty of bright people can also be stupid. Clive, for instance.
            I concede the point to you.

Do an Eddie and blood a 20 year-old Matt Giteau. Sort out who has promise. Don't revert to proven failures like H. Paul. There's no future in it.
            I agree entirely – but I think Robinson is conservative with the small ‘C’. I fear a mish mash of older second tier players running out in Cardiff. It worries me that he persists with the Bath second rows for example, and not just because of my personal dislike of Bath. They haven’t exactly been setting the league aflame this year and I’m really keen to see the Brown-Deacon combination tried – but Robinson cut both in the drop to a 30 man 6N squad. The four locks are Shaw, Kay, Borthwick and Grewcock – average age around 30.

I’m watching for the squad with great interest – but thus far I agree that Robinson is not looking the man to move things on.

That's the McQueen system. It could only come to rugby when there was enough money to fund it. It's very expensive.
            True. Sir Clive didn’t spend quite as much RFU money as myth suggests (remember that figure Ravagon quoted?) but he did spend a lot. He was also clever in the sponsorship he brought in to the setup. Overall I wouldn’t imagine he spent much more that his main rivals – but then it’s very hard to tell as none of the Unions involved are particularly transparent about their finances.

isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of the lot that came here.
            The 2001 squad was a fantastic pool of talent that is for sure. This will be a good squad but I would agree it is unlikely to be quite as good. There are some break through players that could shine – Moody of course and the Irish lock O’Connell. Murphy may even be fit to make this tour. But there is that huge hole at skipper that just can’t be filled.

I have to concede one thing to Clive and that is that the team and players will be much better prepared – one thing he does do is make the whole experience of selection a comprehensive and positive one for the players and that is a huge difference to last time.

Why do you think I hate this place so much?
            I thought it was because you didn’t like what they passed off as beer?

I must have been having a bad day to recycle my woes from Lions 2001 – it wasn’t my intention to go off on a(nother) rant against your countrymen. I must try harder to avoid temptation.

I find Howard quite an interesting person – he does come across as desperate to be recognised as a stateman – but then Blair always strikes me the same way.

But then Blair has problems of his own – a Hercules downed far to the north of where any British troops are stationed was likely to be carrying 22nd Regiment men (better known under the three letter acronym SAS) – and I wonder where they were going and what they were doing?
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
              The word ‘Australian’ is appearing with increasing frequency ever since you asked not to be called it – strange that?
              That pesky little grenouille! I wonder if fly spray works on him!

I agree entirely – but I think Robinson is conservative with the small ‘C’. I fear a mish mash of older second tier players running out in Cardiff.
              I know I'm hammering it, but why? What does it achieve? What if they're rolled by the French or Irish? Or both? Younger, promising players might also get rolled, but at least experience has been gained and talents gauged. Anyway, I'll leave it alone now. No I won't. It's stupid and short-sighted. Now I'll leave it alone. Until I see the team.

I find Howard quite an interesting person – he does come across as desperate to be recognised as a stateman – but then Blair always strikes me the same way.
              Howard does suffer Little Man Syndrome. The truly scary thing is that he and Bush are genuinely close. They're equally conservative, and religious. And there Howard was in Switzerland acting as Bush's defender and lap dog. Blair is just into self-aggrandisement.

On the other hand, at least Blair has differed publicly with Bush. Howard won't. The English government pressured the Americans to hand over the Brits who were detained in Cuba and who weren't going to be charged. Howard wouldn't do the same for the couple of Australians detained there. Only when it was learned that one of them had been abused and, possibly, tortured, was he suddenly released by the Americans without charge. The Australian government has now brought him home, but advised that he will be monitored 24 hours a day by our intelligence services (ho hum, they're a joke), will have his passport taken away, and will be prevented from profiting in any way from the events. In other words, he won't be able to sell his story. That's the government's intent anyway. There is a law to the effect that convicted criminals can't profit from their crimes. But this man wasn't charged let alone convicted, and you can be sure that if the Americans had found any grounds to charge him, they would have. So exactly how our government will manage to prevent him selling his story is an interesting question. What they're seeking to avoid, of course, is having the Americans publicly embarrassed. This is a despicable despicable government whose contempt for people's rights sets a new benchmark in utter hypocrisy. Bringing freedom and democracy to the world while treating their own citizens' human rights with contempt. Bustards.

But then Blair has problems of his own – a Hercules downed far to the north of where any British troops are stationed was likely to be carrying 22nd Regiment men (better known under the three letter acronym SAS) – and I wonder where they were going and what they were doing?
              Exactly.

Comment

That pesky little grenouille! I wonder if fly spray works on him!
                No!

Comment

• It's interesting that every time I play Civ single player as the French, every hut that I open contains money. Not a military unit to be seen. I suppose this explains France's ordinary military history.

So, Havak, A. Robinson has showed some nerve after all. A centre not yet old enough to shave. And playing alongside another Novacastrian. Gee, with the England centre pairing, it's surprising Newcastle continues to struggle in the premiership. Yet Dawson returns. Why? What is achieved? Why isn't Ellis starting? Or does Robinson only allow himself one bit of daring per selection and the pre-pubescent centre is it for this time? I note that Kay will partner Grewcock if Grewcock isn't cited for stomping The Nose. I'd've thought a medal more appropriate than a citing.

Comment

• Mornin' all.

Just finished a particularly hideous (irritating flippin' clients. Grrr. ) couple of weeks at work.

Only thing I've even managed to catch, in any way rugby-related, over the past couple of weeks has been his lordships retirement. So long MJ. You will be missed.
                    Perhaps by some more than others, but missed nevertheless.

I see nothing much has changed in this thread though ...

Comment

• Very little has changed – except where Carlos is playing his rugby from August.

Welcome back.

On a more sombre note the pilot of that Hercules was actually an Aussie serving with the RAF – and the other nine were apparently RAF too (although the MOD never admits the presence of SAS and a Herc holds a lot more than nine people). It still begs the question what it was doing where it was downed.

And then a Brit policeman drowns in Sydney saving three kids. What a strange world – my sympathies go to all affected families.

I suppose this explains France's ordinary military history.
                      Oh boy – now that is like lighting a short fuse on a powder keg!

Gee, with the England centre pairing, it's surprising Newcastle continues to struggle in the premiership.
                      And Ollie Smith, part of a backline that cut them to pieces at their place in October, misses out totally. Strange as he scored a try that day where he skinned them both and he isn’t playing any worse now than then.

Still it is a brave choice and I applaud it – he certainly cannot blame anyone else if it goes wrong.

Or does Robinson only allow himself one bit of daring per selection and the pre-pubescent centre is it for this time?
                      I have to admit that was my reaction – a brave choice balanced by a conservative one.

But the reason is probably that Welsh scrum halves excel in winding up their English counterparts and Dawson has bags of experience. Ellis can learn from Matt I think 0 so he needs to use this time to cement his eventual takeover.

I'd've thought a medal more appropriate than a citing.
                      It’s a popular view. They have a history of course – Danny has been red carded before for lamping Dayglo.

Grewcock is a good player – but I think they call it a ‘suspect temperament’. I have to hope he can play though as the other bath lad is on the bench and would step up (and I really don’t rate him).

Kay does look to be returning to fairly good form so I am pleased to see him start.

I’m also pleased to see Forrester on the bench – less bulky than most back rows but great skills and very fast. He is what Clive once hoped Chris Jones was (though proved not to be). The only down side is that he is a Glaws man.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                        Oh boy – now that is like lighting a short fuse on a powder keg!
                        If fly spray doesn't work, I'll try dynamite.

I’m also pleased to see Forrester on the bench – less bulky than most back rows but great skills and very fast. He is what Clive once hoped Chris Jones was (though proved not to be). The only down side is that he is a Glaws man.
                        And who is Hazell? Do I know him?

Comment

• Gloucester openside. Came into the reckoning when Lipman got injured. Competent but thats about it. He is younger than I thought he was (27 in April) but the only ones who evangelise about him are Glaws fans. Nothing to write home about really.

In the long term I think he is marking time until Skinner, seven years his junior and in the national academy, replaces him.

Comment

It's interesting that every time I play Civ single player as the French, every hut that I open contains money. Not a military unit to be seen. I suppose this explains France's ordinary military history.
                            Bump!!!

Napoléon's head hitting the top of its tomb.

Comment

• Why? Is Wellington kicking his arse yet again?

Comment

• Who?

Comment

Working...
                                X