Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    Duncan Bell? Well how can one put this politely? Duncan is something of an old fashioned tight head. Solid as a bull - including inside the cranium. There was never any chance his try to be Welsh would work (it was only on residency anyway)
    But he obviously didn't fancy his chances of being selected again. Then again, even his thick head probably couldn't have contemplated the number of injuries.

I never thought England would struggle in the front row but with White, Vickery, Woodman and Flatman all injured the resources are getting a bit scarce unless you start looking at youngsters.
    I'm willing to lend you Matt Dunning for the occasion. *cue the guffaw smilies*

Looking back the tour from hell was less scary than the current situation. We knew in 98 that a core of superb world class players were waiting to pop back in for the autumn games. Okay now we have a lot of injured boys that could return - but we also have a coach who impersonates an Ostrich. I am far more worried now than I was in 98 - a lot of good work could be wasted unless Robinson is canned quickly.
    And, in addition, the currently injured - well, apart from one of them - aren't really in the class of those missing from the Tour From Hell.

Tigers chairman also launched a blistering attack on Cotton over the player access comments by the way - essentially saying when things go right the RFU takes all the credit (i.e. RWC) but when things go wrong they always blames the clubs. There are legs in this disagreement yet.
    Yes, but it's the same old thing. Nothing ever gets settled. Not that it's ever likely to be.

Barkeley and Paul have both passed fitness tests - I'm really crossing my fingers that the coach has the courage to pick Smith as a starter - if he doesn't I suspect I am not the only one who will want his head for that alone.

Then again it doesn;t matter who he puts on the bench - he only ever uses a scrummie and one straight wing replacement from the seven. Did I say I think he is tactically inept?
    It's going to take an admission from him - without having to say it - that he's got it wrong thus far. I wonder whether someone will tap him on the shoulder and tell him to get it right. Or, at least, better than what it has been.

Interesting that Eddie's protege from the last NH tour - young Hoiles, the backrower - who is fit and raring to go, hasn't made the Waratahs 22 for the first S12 match. Debutants preferred in his place. They outshone him in the trial matches. Mmmmm. Never been a big fan of trial form, m'self. Trials are trials are trials.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Finbar, I am just coming back from the post office where I have picked up the History of Rugby video tape. I am currently on holiday for the week and this is will be a good occasion to practice my speaking English.

Havak, if you want me to send you the tape after I have watched it I need your address.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
        Finbar, I am just coming back from the post office where I have picked up the History of Rugby video tape. I am currently on holiday for the week and this is will be a good occasion to practice my speaking English.

I posted it - air mail - on January 28th! What sort of flying machines does the French Post Office use? M'sieur Bleriot's discards?!

Havak, if you want me to send you the tape after I have watched it I need your address.
        I think he said he's seen it. Added to which, the tape contains some of England's very few Glory Days from the past. When they had coaches with IQs higher than their shoe sizes. He might not be able to cope with the memories.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• England: J Robinson (Sale Sharks, capt); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), J Noon (Newcastle), O Barkley (Bath), J Lewsey (Wasps); C Hodgson (Sale Sharks), H Ellis (Leicester); G Rowntree (Leicester), S Thompson (Northampton), M Stevens (Bath), D Grewcock (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), J Worsley (Wasps), L Moody (Leicester), M Corry (Leicester).
          Replacements : A Titterrell (Sale Sharks), D Bell (Bath), S Borthwick (Bath), A Hazell (Gloucester), M Dawson (Wasps), A Goode (Leicester), O Smith (Leicester).

He squibbed it.

Comment

• Jamie ******* Noon over Smith again???

Steve Thompson starting?

God this coach is dumb - I can't wait for him to get sacked!! It cannot come soon enough now
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Don't make such a fuss Havak, it could be worse for you: there are 2 of the 5 Bath players who start on the bench.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Yes but neither Bath Lock should even be there Robinson stands rightly accused of picking favourites rather than on form. The props are out of necessity although I would personally have picked Holford from Tigers rather than more Bath inadequates.

And Ireland has the best line out in the 6N. Anyone who thinks Thompson is the man to throw to that is a deranged lunatic IMHO.

I've said before that I think the coach is desperate to get sacked as soon as possible - this squad in another step towards his aim.

Smith is the best young English Centre in a generation - and has sat by whilst a child and then a journeyman occupy his slot - he now sits on the bench whilst that same journeyman starts against the mercurial O'Driscoll.

There's no sense in this - the only conclusion that can be drawn is that Robinson is incapable of being a number one - though he is definitely a prime piece of number two as far as I am concerned.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak

Comment

• I might make it as a writer yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

I posted it - air mail - on January 28th! What sort of flying machines does the French Post Office use? M'sieur Bleriot's discards?!
                      The package actually arrive almost two weeks ago but could not be delivered as I was not at home when the postman came. I had to wait until I was on holiday to go to the post office and pick it up.
                      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• If you waited two weeks here before going to pick it up it would have been returned to sender.

Comment

If you waited two weeks here before going to pick it up it would have been returned to sender.
                          It would have been returned to the sender today...

Comment

I might make it as a writer yet.
                            Especially as a children's writer. They love number ones and number twos material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

The package actually arrive almost two weeks ago but could not be delivered as I was not at home when the postman came. I had to wait until I was on holiday to go to the post office and pick it up.
                              You should probably fast-forward through the first couple of episodes. The English rugby stuff.

Comment

• They devoted a whole 2 episodes to English rugby?

In other news it seems that the previous AB coach is a strong potential candidate for coaching the new WA S12 franchise.
                                While I don't think this is necessarily such a bad thing, Mr Mitchell has come out trumpetting the party line about any and all players taking the field being eligible for Wallaby selection, hence has discounted any possibility of recruiting from anywhere but the local pubs and the shallow pool of disheartened lifelong-bench-sitters from some of the other Australian teams.
                                Throw this into the mix with the delays in appointing personnel, the general shambles that is the whole franchise and the current recruitment effort (which, to date, seems to rely solely on the evident attractions (evident to whom I won't go into) of living in Perth as a 'lifestyle choice' rather than anything as solid as comparable financial remuneration) and I can see why the Cats are so enthusiastic about their upcoming next few seasons.
                                Only the hope that the squabbles in the RSA about their new club will save WA now.
                                Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                                X