This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Martz knows when to run and when to pass.

*ahem* 2001 Super Bowl.

No he doesn't. Faulk is incredibly underused for a back with his talent.
    Faulk is also a great reciever. And yes he did blow it in 2001 Super Bowl, obviously because they lost. However, they did get there, and that is a great achievement, and Martz deserves some credit for that.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Holy Cow! Over 14 seconds between the snap and McNabb launching a 60 yard completion! Damm good scrambling job by McNabb!

Score now 34-14 Iggles...

D

Comment

• I see the Steelers losing if they lose Hines Ward or Plaxico Burress. At the moment they have offensive balance which is spreading defenses. Lose one of them, and you can concentrate on the others
        They'll just plug in Randel-El. And they are concentrating on the others, the Steelers run much more than they pass and defenses know that it is coming... and still can't stop it.

When a team surprises everybody they look dominant, but sooner or later a team will find a flaw which sends it down.

If Belicheck and Reed can't find a 'flaw', I think it's safe to say they'll go far and they'll lose only if they overlook a team or lose their starting QB.

And I don't see a weak secondary. Their passing YPA is ranked better than their rushing YPA.

However, they did get there, and that is a great achievement, and Martz deserves some credit for that.

Eh... Vermeil built the team.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang
          Patriots are just stifling McGahee and Bledsoe is back to throwing picks. This is really ugly. Makes you wonder how the Steelers beat them? Was it a 1 game mirage?
          The Bills suck, that's why.

There's a reason the Pats got rid of Bledsoe. You figure it out.

Comment

• Got to love the Eagles... I needed a decent night out of TO to win my fantasy game... Needless to say, 3 TD's was more than enough
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

However, they did get there, and that is a great achievement, and Martz deserves some credit for that.

Eh... Vermeil built the team.
              Give me a break. Vermeil deserves all the credit for 1999, and no more credit for 2001 than any other years since he left, including the year they went 7-9.

Comment

• If Belicheck and Reed can't find a 'flaw', I think it's safe to say they'll go far and they'll lose only if they overlook a team or lose their starting QB.
                Flaws present themselves when you least expect it. If you try to cut through a piece of wood with scissors, and you don't know much about it, you need someone to get lucky with a saw before it becomes obvious.

They'll just plug in Randel-El. And they are concentrating on the others, the Steelers run much more than they pass and defenses know that it is coming... and still can't stop it.
                Best run blocking unit in football. Teams could put 8 in the box and stop it, but Hines Ward and a rejuvenated Burress are not allowing them to do it.

Comment

• Give me a break. Vermeil deserves all the credit for 1999, and no more credit for 2001 than any other years since he left, including the year they went 7-9.

The team was his team. Just like George Seifert gets little credit from me for 1989 (it was Walsh's team), but gets credit for 1996.

Best run blocking unit in football. Teams could put 8 in the box and stop it, but Hines Ward and a rejuvenated Burress are not allowing them to do it.

So then what was the problem last year? Ward and Burress were around then and had some EXCELLENT years (95 catches for Ward, 60 for Burress). They were also 31st in rushing yards and 32nd (dead last) in YPA. The offensive line is basically unchanged from a year ago. It's the QB and the coaching, not the line itself.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Give me a break. Vermeil deserves all the credit for 1999, and no more credit for 2001 than any other years since he left, including the year they went 7-9.

The team was his team.
                    NO. It wasn't. He was not the coach. Period. There should be no debate. Ah, but I forget ....

Comment

• NO. It wasn't. He was not the coach. Period.

So what? It's quite easy to be a 'good coach' when the previous coach has built up the foundation and the walls and all you have to do is make sure it keeps going like it was. The true test is a few years down the line when there is turnover of players.

Comment

NO. It wasn't. He was not the coach. Period.

So what? It's quite easy to be a 'good coach' when the previous coach has built up the foundation and the walls and all you have to do is make sure it keeps going like it was. The true test is a few years down the line when there is turnover of players.
                        It's hard enough for a coach to maintain the effectiveness of his own team after winning a Super Bowl. Keeping things going is even harder than getting things going. Especially these days. Martz has done a really good job overall. The rest of the organization deserves a lot of credit too. Vermeil deserves only credit for his work in KC during that time, which isn't as much credit as Martz deserves.

Comment

NO. It wasn't. He was not the coach. Period.

But Seifert was at least smart enough not to mess with a good thing.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Keeping things going is even harder than getting things going.

I totally disagree! Who will be remembered as a better coach? Bill Walsh or George Seifert? Dick Vermeil or Mike Martz? It'll be the former, because it is MUCH harder getting things going that keeping them moving on.

Martz is NOT a good coach. He has taken a team with great talent and hasn't done very much with it at all. The inertia of the Vermeil years led to another Superbowl berth, but since then they've been mediocre to above average. But never close to as good as the SuperBowl winning team.

Comment

• Of course they aren't as good, because they don't have as much talent. Still Martz does pretty well. I never said he was better than Vermeil, but he is pretty good. Chumps don't go to the Superbowl. I don't care what team they inherit. And by the way, the 2001 team was not the same team. There were a lot of personel changes, and anyway the 2000 team didn't do much. Why not, isn't that team even more Vermeil's team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

But Seifert was at least smart enough not to mess with a good thing.

ACK!
                                Martz did make changes. Thank you very much for nailing my point home. He made changes and took HIS team to the Superbowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X