No announcement yet.

Do Christians Fear Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't fear death. I just fear not completing what I've been put here to do before my time is up.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

But you're an evil gay, so surely you're going to hell.

Huh? Excuse me?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't fear death. I'm not chomping at the bit to go, but I'm also not obsessing over the idea of physical death.

I don't believe in souldeath.
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

If you ask me, Chrisitians put way too much importance on the afterlife. Jesus made only a few references to hell, and they have often been mistranslated and they are very vague. Yet the whole point of the Christian religion is to be good in this life so we'll have a good afterlife.

I dislike this belief because I believe that God can be found here on earth. Life would be much better if we can connect with him and if we strive for true happiness. That would be heaven on earth, and I'd rather do that than spend my life trying to act moral for the possibility of going to a heaven. We don't know if it exists.

People of today are too concerned with dying, and it is proven that it is our greatest fear. A lot of it has to do with culture though. When we were hunter-gatherers, death was simply part of nature and its cycle. It was something that was accepted. Yet in our world today we live much longer but aren't nearly as ready for death as we were before. This is another product of civilization.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

So, as long as I accept Jesus, I can do whatever I want to without having to worry about hell?
            No.

Go read Paul in Romans:

Romans 6:1-14

Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Lutherans! You forgot Lurtherans!
              They can stand for themselves. There's nothing special about their doctrine of justification, that needs to be set apart from the Calvinists.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

That seems to pretty well be an indictment of Protestantism.
                An indictment of Luther, more like it.

Luther does not speak for all Protestants, and especially not for mennonites.

It's true that he had little love for James, because of the passages quoted by Verto.

Comment

Lutherans believe that people who believe in Jesus and his message will be saved and go to heaven but they will deny that murderers actually believe in his message
                  Unrepentant murders perhaps. But not repentent ones.

Comment

I don't like harp music so going to heaven as a christian must be hell og are there a chance to select indiviual instruments ?

It is a good question, of what will heaven be like. A better one than you probably suspect.

Comment

If you ask me, Chrisitians put way too much importance on the afterlife. Jesus made only a few references to hell, and they have often been mistranslated and they are very vague. Yet the whole point of the Christian religion is to be good in this life so we'll have a good afterlife.
                      Why does Jesus teach the Parable of the Ten Virgins?

He closes it with the admonishment to be ready, for we do not know the day or the hour.

We spend so much time on the eternal fate of souls because Christ saw this as of primary importance. Christ's earthly mission centered upon this goal, even as he helped people here on Earth.

This I think we cannot forget, that the work we do here on Earth should assist others towards Christ so that they may be saved, either by opening their hearts to the presence of God through our good deeds, or through guidance and correction in making people aware of their brokenness.

There are many ways to accomplish the goal, but you cannot lose sight of the primary destination.

In fact, this is why Christ says, that he who gains his life shall lose it, and whoever loses his life for me shall find it.

I dislike this belief because I believe that God can be found here on earth. Life would be much better if we can connect with him and if we strive for true happiness.
                      All we have here are shadows of the real thing. You are right that we should strive for true happiness which we will only find in Heaven and not on Earth.

That would be heaven on earth, and I'd rather do that than spend my life trying to act moral for the possibility of going to a heaven.
                      What good is it to temporarily alleviate suffering if it means condemning a soul to eternal suffering in Hell?

People of today are too concerned with dying, and it is proven that it is our greatest fear.
                      We don't know if it exists.
                      Perhaps this is why. People do not know what will come after death, or they fear they know all to well.

Comment

A man who had as speach in the youth club(Christian) I'm a part of, once spoke of heaven something like this:

What is heaven? How is it there?
                        Well, imagine the best and most enjoying things you can think of here on Earth. Multiply it with 1000. Multiply it again. And again. By now, you haven't been near what heaven is! It's much better than anything we can imagine! We don't know how it will be, but we do know it will be good!
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I do not fear death. Though I do fear the fact that I have to leave my wife alone on this earth.
                          I don't want to die, because I don't want her to be alone.

The other reason that I do not want to die is that I want to see Christ coming, and I want to see what will happen to this earth during the latest days.
                          I want to see the antichrist, and in what form he comes, and if it comes close to what I imagine, or if I'm totally wrong.

I'm really looking forward to the afterlife. Or as a matter of fact, the real life. Living on earth as God intented it.
                          Living on a world in which the people allow God to be God, instead of themselves.

I do fear the moment of dying. Will it be painfull?
                          I do fear a long path to death.
                          And I have some fear in me, what if it's all wrong. And what if the atheists are right?

I can't imagine that people who believe that the death is the end are able to live. I would kill myself immediately, the moment I find out that God does not exist. But fortunatley I know that He does exist, so there's no reason for me to kill myself.
                          Live is worth the living!
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Isn't it far more consistent that God (being the moral relativist he is (or rather has to be by my definition ) doesn't give a **** about what we do here, including such fickle things as belief, so Pascals bet is irrelevant and we'll all find out for sure when we kick the bucket anyway. Please say yes, otherwise I got a LOT of repenting to do
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I don't recall not existing as being terribly unpleasant before I was born, I expect that no existing after I die won't be any worse. All worrying about it does is make the bit of time you have where you do exist that much more unpleasant.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                                Isn't it far more consistent that God (being the moral relativist he is (or rather has to be by my definition ) doesn't give a **** about what we do here, including such fickle things as belief, so Pascals bet is irrelevant and we'll all find out for sure when we kick the bucket anyway. Please say yes, otherwise I got a LOT of repenting to do
                                The afterlife will be like the paradise.
                                Thus, we will live on earth in the way God intended it.

Since we ruined the original paradise by chosing to be god ourselves the new paradise can only consist of people who want God to be god and humans to be humans.

Thus, the 'wannabe-god-humans' must be re-created into 'wannabe-human-humans'
                                That's what God cares about.

The christian faith is not about earning the afterlife.
                                It's about giving up your "I'm the boss of my own life" attitude.
                                Because paradise can't be paradise of people have that attitude.
                                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                                X