Do Christians Fear Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odin
    I don't get how people in Calvinist denominations (Presbyterians, etc.) get by, I would be in constant fear of going to hell even if i'm a super-religious and charitable person.
    That is because you don't understand.

The principle idea behind Calvinism is that you cannot do anything to save yourself -- it is entirely in God's hands.

Because of this, you shouldn't be concerned about your salvation, instead having faith that God will provide, in spite of your shortcomings. Instead, you should be obedient to the God out love, for the gift He has given you, and not out of fear of, and to avoid, damnation.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm going to live forever or die trying.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Instead, you should be obedient to the God out love, for the gift He has given you, and not out of fear of, and to avoid, damnation.
        That is even more stupid.

Che: thats the spirit.

Comment

Seems as good a thread for this quote as any:
          "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying." -- Woody Allen

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Death's an evil bastard. He keeps taking innocent children and Iraqis, ignoring my constant pleas for oblivion
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

That is even more stupid.

Che: thats the spirit.
              Then I guess I'm stupid.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                Death's an evil bastard. He keeps taking innocent children and Iraqis, ignoring my constant pleas for oblivion
                Find a busy street frequented by semis. They'll grant your wish unlike that other lazy bastard.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Muslim Martyrdom?
                  Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                  The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                  Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                  We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Christian Martyrdom?
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

'Poly Martyrdom!
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Christians who believe in hell and think they're going there when they die must be terrified
                        Most don't, if they are Christians. If they aren't then that's another story entirely.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't fear death.

It will be a wonderful experience.

It's the whole dying thing that won't be too fun.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I don't get how people in Calvinist denominations (Presbyterians, etc.) get by, I would be in constant fear of going to hell even if i'm a super-religious and charitable person.
                            They generally believe that they are the elect and are predestined to heaven.

The idea, is like the Mad Monk said, to free people up to serve God because of their love for God, and not to earn salvation.

Catholics have it a little different. They hope for salvation, but do not affirm any doctrine of predestination.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I am a Christian, and I would like to say that I do not fear death.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                                Christians who believe in hell and think they're going there when they die must be terrified
                                Definitely. That many people telling me I'll burn in hell has made me strangely desperate to hold onto my pathetic life.
                                Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Working...
                                X