No announcement yet.

Let the games begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS. The Tories likely get a shot at government if the throne speech goes down. Now, that would be bizarre.
    Say no, Mr. Meighan. Say no!
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hiya, sweetheart. Thought you'd be busy with school.

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      Then tell the Conservatives to become a centrist party. Oh wait, if they do that then a bunch of nutbars in the West will decide that they hate compromise and **** up everything.
      I agree the Tories have a ways to go to moderate their image, but they're not the only ones who need to change some attitude. During the campaign the press wasted no time in tracking down Conservative wingnuts and seemed to completely ignore those of the Liberals.

And again, Gallant is from Ontario. I think she did the most damage. Maybe Randy White too. Hopefully they've found a salmon farm to bury him on by now.

However, in the end I have to admit you are right. It is the Tories who have to do the work too woo Easterners. Electoral success is not theirs by birthright.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If the Conservatives get to bring down the government over an important issue on which their stance is popular then they've won the chess match.
        Democratic reform counts.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

And again, Gallant is from Ontario. I think she did the most damage. Maybe Randy White too. Hopefully they've found a salmon farm to bury him on by now.

Cheryl Gallant CON 27494 55.07% X
          Rob Jamieson LIB 14798 29.64%
          Sue McSheffrey NDP 5720 11.46%

Randy White CON 29587 61.37% X
          Moe Gill LIB 9617 19.98%
          Scott Fast NDP 6575 13.66%

Those aren't numbers for people who are part of the problem. Maybe they are part of the solution, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            What's a throne speech?
            What's a truck?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Democratic reform counts.
              This isn't political reform or the lack of it. This is a throne speech which could mention it. Repeat after me: meaningless.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cheryl Gallant CON 27494 55.07% X
                Rob Jamieson LIB 14798 29.64%
                Sue McSheffrey NDP 5720 11.46%

Randy White CON 29587 61.37% X
                Moe Gill LIB 9617 19.98%
                Scott Fast NDP 6575 13.66%

Those aren't numbers for people who are part of the problem. Maybe they are part of the solution, eh?
                I wish you ran things, in the Conservative party, sweetheart.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  If the Conservatives get to bring down the government over an important issue on which their stance is popular then they've won the chess match. Otherwise the Grits have nowhere to go but up...
                  You're right, BUT...

Martin has chosen to ignore everyone, except maybe Layton. Duceppe and Harper have the votes to send us back to the GG for a new government, or back to the polls. However, Martin is gambling that they will blink.

So we have Martin, Duceppe, and Harper all with guns pointed at each other. Who blinks? That will decide the course from here.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Funniest outcome...

Conservatives move for electoral reform ammendment. BQ, Tories, AND Liberals all vote to accept ammendment.

Tories and BQ have no choice but to vote to accept the ammended speech.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

And I think that Harper has painted himself into a corner on this. Martin threw down the gauntlet by writing a speech designed to be aggravating to the right and, to a lesser extent, to the BQ (though to be fair it would be difficult to write a speech that they'd like). The proper response (i.e. what will play best with their target audiences) for each the parties is as follows:

1) Liberals: vote for it and proclaim it a piece of genius
                      2) NDP: vote for it after whining
                      3) Bloc: vote against it and say that Quebec got the short end of the stick yadda yadda yadda
                      4) Conservatives: Explain what a piece of trash the speech is. Then abstain from voting and explain to the Canadian people that they'd vote against it, but they don't want to force another election before they have a chance to attempt compromise on more serious issues. Engineer something like a walkout when Martin begins to speak. Nice piece of political theatre, lets people know they're serious, doesn't make them seem obstructionist, keeps them in the public eye.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        Funniest outcome...

Conservatives move for electoral reform ammendment. BQ, Tories, AND Liberals all vote to accept ammendment
                        The NDP wants electoral reform a lot more than the BQ does...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This isn't political reform or the lack of it. This is a throne speech which could mention it. Repeat after me: meaningless.
                          If it's merely empty promises, then why doesn't Martin include Democratic reform in the speech?

He's already well versed in making empty promises, so what is one more?

Comment

Right. Now what about posting the results from EVERY SINGLE RIDING in Quebec. I am pretty sure those two effected those numbers too. Christ, they probably had an impact on Landslide Anny being able to get a relatively early bed as she won this time by hundreds, not tens, of votes.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

I wish you ran things, in the Conservative party, sweetheart.
                              For everyone who is lambasting Cheryl, two are thanking her for saying what they wanted to say.

If having a prolife opinion makes one unelectable, then why should a prochoice opinion be any better?

Comment

I am pretty sure those two effected those numbers too. Christ, they probably had an impact on Landslide Anny being able to get a relatively early bed as she won this time by hundreds, not tens, of votes.
                                Pretty silly.

Two conservative MPs who are backbenchers influencing votes across the country, moreso than the individual candidates in their respective ridings.

It's all media hype, the media likes demonising Gallant and White to deflect from the real issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X