Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spinoff: disney, finding nemo anti-american?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you'll have to ask ned, who's spent a lot of time around drug culture.
    B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuie

That reminds me of something that I DO have a problem with in the "entertainment" industry. Too many shows today portray the parents as clueless twits that are constantly being out done by the clever children. Fathers are made to look like bumbling fools, the constant butt of jokes, more often than not in cartoons and sitcoms.

Honestly, I would rather that a cartoon/childrens show be subtly anti-American than have it undermining a child's respect for their parents.
      Nothing new dude, they've been doing ever since they starting making stuff for kids, dude...
      but yeah, it annoys me too, then again, kids seem to like it.
      --
      One more thing about the turtle:

turtle = slow.

Maybe that's the reasoning for portraying him the way they did.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by alva

Nothing new dude, they've been doing ever since they starting making stuff for kids, dude...
        but yeah, it annoys me too, then again, kids seem to like it.
        I probably only think it's gotten worse in the last six and a half years because that's how long I've been a father.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Father's have always been portrayed as bumbling simpletons in children's programming... it helps the little ones adjust to our iron-fisted mastery of the household.

Comment

• I thought your lady wife was the "master" of your house, John?
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• Speaking from experience, are we?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

• I have no experience of John's wife and I think it's disgraceful that you would try and smear the good name of an honest woman in this way.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• Comment

• I think maybe Ned has a point.

I look at our prime time tv(well heck any time tv) over here in the uk, and i do wonder what i'll do when i have kids and they want to watch tv.
                    In the uk if your not on cable/sattelite etc you get 5 channels, or 4 if your on the outer edges of the country!

And i've noticed a real downward trend in the last 4-5 years. I hardly ever watch it anymore - too many unreal 'reality tv shows', too much sex aimed at younger audiences, too many gangsta rappers and bi-type cute white things broadcasting to 5 year olds for my liking.
                    I really think i'm going to ban tv for my kids - my parents did it to me for the first ten years of my life, and i feel better for it.

So maybe this Nemo/anti-american thing that upsets Ned is kind of just another nail in the coffin of entertainment gone bad for him?

And about what stuie said about undermining parents, we got a growing problem in our cities of very young kids just roaming wild and being a pain, sometimes lethal, to the general public. They seem completely out of control with no respect for anyone.
                    Could be part of the outcome of the 'tv generation' along with riseing obesity etc?

If much of this media in the US is controlled by 'left wing' companies, then maybe to Ned and others it seems like an attack on the country through a subtle method of mind control of the youth?

In which case i can see how he'd come to his point of view, although its a bit too strong for me, i would allow more than one joke before thinking something was anit-british
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                      I have no experience of John's wife and I think it's disgraceful that you would try and smear the good name of an honest woman in this way.
                      Too easy mate, saw that one coming miles away.

Nicely put though, as per usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor

If much of this media in the US is controlled by 'left wing' companies, then maybe to Ned and others it seems like an attack on the country through a subtle method of mind control of the youth?
                        It's stupid in the first place to simply accuse the left of being un-American (or un-patriotic, generally spoken) just because they often don't like to dive too much in nationalist pathos. This "traitor"-labeling of the political opponent is disturbing in itself. And how Ned sees it, it sems kind of paranoid.

About Spirit: Though "anti-white racism" is a bit odd a description, I can guess what is disturbing Ned, though I don't know the movie. It's his esoterian image of the spiritual pacifist, tree-hugging, sage Indians, so deeply rooted with the land, in complete equilibrium with their dream-catchers above their sleeping place, this stupid mixing of many different traits of many different tribes into one artificial Indian Pan-American culture, contrasted to the material, evil European/American culture is a pain in the ass.

Does anyone know the Malcolm in the middle episode where Francis steals a totem-pole and dreams about a crow and being haunted by Indian spirits etc. and then the Indian comes with a rifle, turning out to be pretty materialistic and ridiculing Francis for his stereotype of the spiritual Indian? I couldn't stop laughing.
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• COT, maybe, but citing Finding Nemo as an example is assinine, since it in fact reinforced plenty of good values. Almost as stupid as people who get upset about Harry Potter books.

As for kids and TV, its possible to limit the amount and watch the quality of what they watch. Not saying the junk culture doesnt make parenting harder, but its not undoable, and shouldnt overly worry you.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Eisner announced that he is stepping down as CEO of Disney today, and the stock jumps 1.3%!

He knows he's loved
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              As for kids and TV, its possible to limit the amount and watch the quality of what they watch. Not saying the junk culture doesnt make parenting harder, but its not undoable, and shouldnt overly worry you.
                              You're right. Lamentably we all know that many other parents won't. It's the parents in combination with TV culture who allow this junk to wash children's brains. You can partially protect your child from junk culture, but not their peers.
                              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                                You can partially protect your child from junk culture, but not their peers.

That's what I'm struggling with as my oldest two are both in public school now. You can do your best at home, but once their peers get to them half of it goes out the window.

Then again it's a two way street. I'm sure all the Christian parents out there are going to get a shock when little Johnny and Janey come home and say "Stuie's kids said there is no god."

When my oldest first came home from kindergarten he mentioned that they said the Pledge of Allegiance. I asked what he did about the "god" part, and he replied that he said :
                                "One nation,
                                Blah, blah, blah,
                                With liberty and jutice for all."

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                                X