No announcement yet.

World Cup of Hockey '04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh man what a game.. it was prolly the worst game of the World Cup. Horrible hockey from us, and Germany was able to execute their gameplan perfectly. No excuses though, we knew how they would play anyway, and were unable to break it decisively. Well, 2-1, we won, advanced to North America for semi finals against the winner of Russia/US. We won, that's all that matters, but seriously, we played pretty bad. Only Kipper was up to his own standards, everyone else.. not really.

The very few players that played at least close to their level was Nemo, and he was helping the team a lot and gave few excellent passes that should have been goals but they weren't. He didn't get a single penalty minuet and was about the only one checking. And that's the other thing, we didn't check at all. I'm very disappointed, yet relieved we made it. But it was too damn tight.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• So you're saying Nemo didn't go thug up the game? I thought that's all he could do! Oh no, my world has turned upside down!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Nope.. not a single dirty blow.. actually he gave few brilliant passes after robbing the puck in offensive zone and creating a fast scoring chance 3 meters from the goal.. stuff like that.. was one of the only ones with enough arrogance to come behind the goal to the front of the goal and create same hassle. Was usually first one checking in offensive zone, stealing pucks, and the first one from forwards back down to defend.

Sure.. most played way lower their level but at least Nemo did pretty good, and was one of the best.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• Just the unbaised opinion of a Vile fan, eh.

How many goals did he score? How many assists did he make?

And he didn't do anything stupid? Wow, give the guy a bonus.

As for the way the Finns played, that often happens when a strong team plays a weak team, especially coming after the big game against Sweden.

Don't sweat it.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

• Finland-- not impressive at all but if you plan to have an off game, thats the one to do it in

canada-Slovakia I think Canada shoould win this one as the Slovaks haven't really been competitive with anyone and their goaltending hasn't been the superlative type that you need to win . .. yet.

US-Russia
            Czech-Sweden .. . both these are pick-ems. US and Czech are both similar in that they have not always played as well as they expect while both Sweden and Russia have looked good mostly

Oh and the sprts networks here are really harping on the "Brett Hull story". I say leave the guy alone .. . its tough for a guy used to being a superstar to find out he's the marginal player (healthy scratch) even if it is the national team
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Tingkai, he is one of the only players who did decently. Most everyone else were poor... Kipper was good though, even when he let one easy to slip between the legs, he did good and held us in the game that seemed too close. Nemo IS a role player, I say it again. He did what was expected and did so well. He wasn't far off from assisting few goals and scoring himself. However, that's not his role in our team. His role is to be aggressive, going in deep to the offensive zone and put pressure on the defense by his aggresiveness and movement. Now, he did that, but the rest of the line didn't support him enough to make better results. He was in fact the only player there I wasn't disappointed at. And he was used now, because we need him against RUssia/US, we need that aggressive forechecker, and he needed to get some time on the ice now so he won't have to be total newbie on friday. I say his performance was good, others Kipper

IF you want high scoring guys, well that's not Nemo. That's not his job in our team, though of course everyone is expected to score and what not when the time comes. His job is to work hard, harrash the defense of our opponent, go in deep and hard, and from that, create some situations. Which he did. The rest of the line wasn't supporting him, and wasn't holding up at all. Nemo did his job, while the rest in the line didn't, and that's why that line didn't do well in statistics either.

Flubber, yeah, a horrible off game.. but then again like you say, it's better to do now. I'm not too worried, I think he have a great shot at the winner of Russia/US, we just need to come more prepared. I say that it was again an attitude problem, attitude problem that influenced to the preperation on every individual, and with 90% preparation, only 50% result and play was given.
              In da butt.

Comment

• Yeah, US-Russia is definitely a toss up. The Russian goalie who plays for the Anaheim farm team has gotten good press.

The Czechs might pull it together if they can do a win one for the gipper type thing, although I think they're still in emotional shock from the tragedy.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

• Pekka, it doesn't matter what you say. There are some basic things in hockey that are just not done. Don't blindside the goalie when the puck is no where near him. It's like kicking someone with your skates. It just ain't done.

Vile will have to play a lot of clean games before I think differently of him.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

• Exactly proving my point that you refuse to see his real work in there because of these stunts. YOu have hand picked him and targetted him. Nemo is not the only one who done that. And there are a lot of thigns you don't do in there, that Nemo hasn't done, but others have, and still they get free pass. You're just a hater .
                    In da butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
                      Goon stuff every now and then? How about all the time. Vile is the dirtiest player in the league.
                      Actually, the dirtiest player in the league is Bryan Marchment...

Now, who does he play for again?

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• own goal!
                        In da butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                          Well, 2-1, we won, advanced to North America for semi finals against the winner of Russia/US.
                          Good luck in fight against USA.

Comment

• Serb, thanks, but I wouldn't be so sure. Russia has played pretty well.. if they get it on, they'll dominate US. If they don't get it on, they'll get trashed.. well you know how it is with the team.
                            In da butt.

Comment

• Russian hockey team suks, look at results of this poll- no one voted for Russia.
                              I just cross my fingers Pekka, since everytime I wave the Russian flag- we lose, and everytime I whine- we suck, we actually win.

Comment

• ok I see your strategy.. well anyway, you should be excited because in fact, they have played well. They were ranked pretty low, even though they have such famous players in there, but it usually just goes wrong, something happens in the team I don't know what. But it's not the case this time it seems like, and they're coming on strong, so it's VERY close game with the US. I'd say they are my favourites to win it even, seeing their past performance in this tourney. But I hope we face US, because it's easier opponent for us . We can't handle Kovalev and the merry bandit of those guys, but we might be able to handle the oldies in US team. We'll see. Good luck
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X