World Cup of Hockey '04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pekka
    So? we didn't have NHL players either? Not very deep the material in other countries then?

Thats funny.. Canada had probably 200-300 players in the NHL at that time. Pick a year, any year, and discount any country's best 200 players and see how you do.

Pekka, you have stated repeatedly how some good Finnish players play in European Leagues. None of the best Canadians do.

Finland won from that field and they deserve "credit" for that I guess, but to me its like medals won at the 1980 Moscow Olympics or in 1984 in Los Angeles. The medals are still medals but they are not quite the same when you know that a lot of the best are not there
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I love his statement that Canada isn't very deep in talent.

We could field 3 teams in the same tourney and run a fair chance of placing 1-2-3. And every one of those teams would be (almost) entirely NHL players.

Canadians make up almost 60% of the NHL as currently constituted. Put that in your "depth" pipe and smoke it.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Oh, did I say Canada's talent is not deep? NO I didn't say that.
        I love it how you take things out of contest and turn them upside down

Little arrogant there are we. I don't give a **** about your arrogant attitude, keep it going and you lose this tournament.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Overall pekka

I think we disagree very little. We both acknowledege a very good Finnish team ( although I accept you have superior knowledge of them)-- I actually think you overrate the Canadians.

My history comments came about since I had seen you talk about a "big 7". I acknowledge that there are 7 nations with a realistic shot of beating any of the other 7 in this tourney but I was curious as to the history.

When I looked at the history I immediately saw that there were really FOUR big hockey nations. I was also a little suprised to see how few medals Finland had won. In many of these tourneys, Finland had agreat record but then failed to capture the gold. I then commented on this-- it doesn't determine anything. ( canada got its first ever gymnastics gold at the ATHENS OLYMPICS-- history was made) For Finland to win this World CUP would be a historic hockey event-- It would be the first time ever they had won a contest among the best. I think they CAN do it . .. just on my view of the team, I don't think they WILL do it. Abusive coach, momentum, intangibles.

My two only solid reasons are

1. lacklustre effort against Germany-- thats a game you need to win with emphasis
          2. failing to hold the lead against Sweden-- it wasn't just that they scored, it was the shooting gallery that was going on-- Sweden are a very good team and a tie is a good result but it was the way the tie happened that makes me doubt Finland's ability to win it all

I take very little solace in an undefeated record-- thats why I am truly worried about the Canada-Slovak game-- Part of me fears that they are too talented to go winless

Either way-- I look forward to the upcoming games ( and note I don't assume a Canadian win anywhere-- I have just run with your assumption you guys will get the US-- It could be US-Czech and Finland Slovakia after all

My comment about Canada's tumbling once out of contention for 1st was meant as no insult. from minor hockey on, most tournaments don't have a bronze medal game. The idea is to go for 1st. Every Canadian team is trying for 1st nowadays. At Nagano, when Canada lost to the Czechs after outplaying them badly only to be turned away by Hasek in that shootout, Canada was crushed. Players were directly quoted about not really caring about bronze. Then Finland beat Canada. Congratulations.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• In Sega's NHL 2K5, Canada has no less than 5 "Dream Teams" to choose full of all-stars from all-time. All other countries have one at the most (Finland and Sweden are forced to share a team )

BTW, KH: I STRONGLY recommend you buy this game. It's just awesome, the best hockey game ever -- by far.

And it's only $19.99US, came out last week.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Yeah well, we care about winning every game we play, even if we play for bronze.

And the last post was to KH, who is twisting my words, not to you Flubber..
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• And I don't think I'm underestimating Canada. Everyone who thinks they are not the favourite bar none, they're fools. Anyone who thinks US team is almost just as unbeatable are even bigger fools, I just don't see the magic in there team at all. Last game was good, Tkachuk scoring 4 times. Where is the rest of the team? Where's the width in there?

We have one huge disadvantage, and thats' the time zones, and our team might be having bad jet lag, since they flew there .. today, and they have to play on friday already. With a huge time difference.
                In da butt.

Comment

• I mean, it's a long long flight, and 7 hour time difference. Talk about disadvantage right there. In the middle of crucial days.
                  In da butt.

Comment

I mean, it's a long long flight, and 7 hour time difference. Talk about disadvantage right there. In the middle of crucial days.

You also get an additional day of rest if you play the US or two if you play the Slovaks.

You could have avoided the issue if you had joined the North American group-- Lets see -- let you replace the Slovaks-- now that would have been a fun rround robin to watch-- Hindsight is always perfect

Comment

Yeah well, we care about winning every game we play, even if we play for bronze.

And the last post was to KH, who is twisting my words, not to you Flubber..
                      My point is that you don't understand how much of the NHL Canadians make up and therefore how little world-class talent we have elsewhere.

Canadians are the backbone of professional hockey in North America. They have a more than fair representation among the top stars but ridiculously overrepresented among the next tier (solid players, but not superstars).
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Plus I was tweaking you a bit.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• It is amazing to me that the US pulled it together and defeated the Russians when it mattered. How big is the defection from the Finnish team?
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• 4-0 for Canada so far, about half-done the game.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• "My point is that you don't understand how much of the NHL Canadians make up and therefore how little world-class talent we have elsewhere."

Sure. Stupid foreigner I am. Try learning english. Then we can talk about the NHL. I never even claimed anything like what you are suggesting.

Flubber, what the hell are you talking about ADDITIONAL DAY? 7 hour time difference, 8 hour flight. ADDITIONAL DAY?!?!?!?!? That's nowhere near being fair.

Besides, Euro Group was toughter than North American. US was underperforming, Slovakia was not there at all, Russia was ok and Canada was good. Same can be said about our group, but hey, you make it sound like North American group is the Heavinly Hockey Angel Group.

pchang, it's impossible to say. They're not defecting, if I understood correctly, but of course they have thought about it, and that's all away from preparation, well mostly about Germany, I think they are over it already. But then again, it's impossible to say.

6-0 Canada.. looks like a beating.
                              In da butt.

Comment

• Now things are interesting. Each team in the semifinals has a realistic chance of defeating the other.

Poor Slovakia...
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X