No announcement yet.

Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there is something to be said for the person who is content regardless of his state.
    and what is that something? that he is lazy, has no reason to live, etc.? i see nothing good in someone who is complacent.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      One could make the arguement that Virtue is that which is not intrinsic to the human person, but must be attained through other means.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

But is there anyone wholly absent of ambition?
      By definition you must have a strong desire to your goal for it to be called ambition. I'm sure some people do not have very strong desires whatsoever. Also, I do not believe all kind of desires can be classified as goals of somebody's ambition. Like I desire love, but I would not call it ambition.
      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• and what is that something? that he is lazy, has no reason to live, etc.? i see nothing good in someone who is complacent.
        One can be content, without being complacent. In fact, in being content, one already possesses a reason to live beyond their current circumstances.

In fact, one could say that if one has a reason to live, that you would expect them to be content. Lack of contentment would seem to indicate lacking a reason to live.

There are many ways to be active, yet not ambitious, to do things not for your own advancement but for others. It's not simply labelling those people lazy.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Also, I do not believe all kind of desires can be classified as goals of somebody's ambition. Like I desire love, but I would not call it ambition.
          Yes, and I think that's the problem that Albert is having. Ambition in the sense that I mean is for personal advancement, and love would be something quite different.

You love someone not for your own good, but because you care about them. Although it is true, that ideally, you should end up better off for loving someone.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
          X