No announcement yet.

Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course! Being content is the opposite of being motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
      maybe i'm tired (i only slept 4 hours in the past 36) but none of yall are making any sense to me.

communism is said to not work because people are selfish (read ambitious, self-bettering). It is described as a common trait possessed by all but the most indoctrinated human beings. Men like Darwin, Spencer, and Nietzsche claimed this trait of self-concern is also the trait common to all organisms.

but from the posts that everybody in here has made, it seems as though yall see only a few men (Napoleon, Hitler, etc.) as having ambition, as though this trait isnt common to all organisms.
      We see only some men as a) having ambitions satisfied by "ruling the world" or something as opposed to simple accumulation of luxuries, and b) having the ability to fulfill those ambitions.

Comment

any life which lacks ambition (in a loose definition as a plant's ambition is different from a man's) is not living. It is dead for all practical purposes and will be physically dead shortly. It's cells will not possess the ambition for continual survival and will not break down nutrients.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Ambition is a meaningless term outside the context of sentient beings.

Comment

why is that? Yes, ambition is synonymous with self-concern yet organisms that are not self-aware are still apparently self-concerned as they still feed and attempt to survive.

maybe i think on a whole different wavelength from yall but isnt ambition instinctual? humans have just imposed certain values upon our instinct for mere survival.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

unless you intend to disprove Darwin or claim that communism is probable, Kuci, I dont see how you can claim that ambition is not a trait common to all life.

Comment

Alright so how does ambition differ from hope and self-preservation?

I'd say self-preservation is more of an instinctual thing
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

unless you intend to disprove Darwin or claim that communism is probable, Kuci, I dont see how you can claim that ambition is not a trait common to all life.
                  I'm saying that the term ambition is meaningless outside of the context of sentient beings. Ambition implies intention implies sentience. QED.

Comment

ambition doesn't differ from self-preservation or hope. it is just we, as advanced beings, have imposed certain values over and in addition to mere survival. Such values vary between societies and cultures (material wealth, honor, power, offspring, etc.) but they are just additions to the instinctual need to survive. the same drives that cause us to wish to survive cause us to seek those values which our culture (or ourselves) have deemed of concern.

Comment

Examples used are just that: examples. People we all know.
                      I don't want to be an organism that claims ambition because I want to survive. I have survived because I worked at it.
                      And I've gone beyond survival. I have ambition because I want more, notneed more.
                      I relate to Hal in the above mentioned Shkspr plays because I identify with him: the desire to want more fuels ambition. But that desire comes from boredom with what one has (assuming survival is assured).
                      Plankton may not realise they want to survive, but they strive for it. I used Napoleon and Prince Hal, as we know them from history and plays, as examples of plankton that got up and said, "I survived, now I'm bored and want more."
                      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Kuci:

Ambition implies intention implies sentience.
                        single-celled organisms eat and excrete wastes. why would they do such things if they didnt possess the instinctual intention to survive?

Comment

Aramis:

but there is no difference between self-preservation/concern and ambition! they are different terms for the same definiton!

mere survival is only the first step in ambition/self-preservation/self-concern.

Comment

ambition doesn't differ from self-preservation
                            Self-preservation is survival.
                            Ambition is wanting more than that.
                            "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

will to power ----> self-concern ----> self-preservation ----> ambition ----> fulfilment of desires and formation of new desires

Comment

No, that's completely wrong. One can preserve oneself without fulfilling one's ambitions.

Comment

Working...
                                X