Iraqi Transfer of Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Transfer of Power

I was shocked that nobody got to this before... the CPA has handed power over to the Iraqi Government of Iyad Allawi. I think this is a very positive step in the right direction for Iraq and its people. The current issue facing this sovereign government is security. But I also heard rumors that Zarqawi has been captured... can anybody confirm that (maybe Oerdin would know..)?

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S.-led coalition transferred sovereignty to an interim Iraqi government Monday, speeding up the move by two days in an apparent bid to surprise insurgents and prevent them from trying to sabotage the step toward self rule.

Militants had conducted a campaign of car bombings, kidnappings and other violence that killed hundreds of Iraqis in recent weeks and designed to disrupt the transfer that was announced by the Bush administration late last year. Intially the Americans were thought to have planned for about one more year of occupation.

Legal documents transferring sovereignty were handed over by U.S. governor L. Paul Bremer to chief justice Mahdi al-Mahmood in a small ceremony attended by about a half dozen Iraqi and coalition officials in the heavily guarded Green Zone. Bremer took charge in Iraq (news - web sites) about a year ago.

"This is a historical day," Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said during the ceremony. "We feel we are capable of controlling the security situation."

Bremer left Iraq on a U.S. Air Force C-130 military plane about 12:30 p.m., said Robert Tappan, an official of the former coalition occupation authority. He was accompanied by coalition spokesman Dan Senor and close members of his staff.

Bremer's last moments in Iraq were spent in a meeting with Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top American commander in the country. An aide to Bremer, speaking on condition of anonymity, declined to say where Bremer was headed, saying only that "he was going home."
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Iraqi "gov" is a stooge so there is no end of occupation.

Comment

Go ***** about something else please (and the Iraqi government isn't any stooge, in fact both Allawi and the president have been criticial of the US). Your government is conservative. There that's something for you to moan about.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The term isn't *****, it's Coulter.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
          The term isn't *****, it's Coulter.
          Or Moore for that matter. The left wing copy of Coulter.

Comment

Sorry, I've no link at the moment but I believe it's been confirmed that guy has been captured. Since he's the guy they're blaming for much of the organization of the resistance, I guess now we'll see a dramatic decline in the violence throughout Iraq...

Riiight.

Comment

it's a total US stooge. nice for a larf

Comment

Sorry, I've no link at the moment but I believe it's been confirmed that guy has been captured. Since he's the guy they're blaming for much of the organization of the resistance, I guess now we'll see a dramatic decline in the violence throughout Iraq...

Riiight.
                No need for the sarcasm. It is just that the leader has may have been captured, which may cause a decline. And the fact that the Iraqi government is now in power will lead to more tips and general support from the Iraqi people.

Comment

Dan Rather (be a hammer than a nail...sorry, lyric from a song...couldn't resist ) said that this move seemed to be indicative of just how bad things are on the ground in Iraq.

Comment

It's a good step, in some regard. This had to happen already, and the sooner the better. I do, however, have serious doubts that the violence will stop. The radical fundamentalists will still be saying that US are occupants, as US military personnel will remain in Iraq, but at the official invitation of the Iraqi government, if I'm not mistaken...
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Dan Rather (be a hammer than a nail...sorry, lyric from a song...couldn't resist ) said that this move seemed to be indicative of just how bad things are on the ground in Iraq.
                      Things are bad. And the transfer was made earlier because of it. But it is a good step and I think we all should support this new government. Plus, is Dan Rather actually in Iraq right now? If anything, I want to ask Oerdin about how all this is going.

Look, the violence won't all the sudden stop today or tomorrow. It'll take time and work to make it stop. The Iraqi government can ask US forces to leave at any time they want.

Comment

No, no it won't. The Iraqi people don't trust the United States nor anyone we install into their "sovereign" government. Until there is an actual election election where they elect their own officials without needing the blessing of the US government, the Iraqi people will just try to go about there lives hoping they won't be caught in the crossfire from both trigger-happy sides.

Edit: This was a crosspost, but it actually kinda worked with Fez's post above, so I'll leave it as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                          The Iraqi government can ask US forces to leave at any time they want.
                          Yes, yes they can...

Comment

They'll get their election. And by the way, how do you know that? I don't think you can speak for the Iraqi peolpe (considering your left-wing agenda against Bush you aren't too credible).

Comment

Your undying hero-worship of Bush kinda negates your credibility too, honey.

Comment

Working...
                              X