Slot Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot Machines

Anyone play these things? Any hints and tips?

I just been to my local because I was bored, got a diet coke and started on the slots...

Beaver Las Vegas - £8 in, £15 out, then £2 in, £6 out

Some random one - £2 in, £4

Gridlock - £2 in, £5 out

Nice tidy little £15 profit for a wquarter of an hour's work and fun. I know it's not always that easy though.

I think the best way to win is to be sneaky and watch machines. But then it becomes like a job, and you get spotted by the barstaff...got a mate who turfed out of Wetherspoons in Aberystwyth once for sitting with one drink for six hours, watching the slots in order to win.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Re: Slot Machines

Originally posted by Park Avenue
    Any hints and tips?
    Bring lots of money with you.

And don't expect to leave with any.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

You're on the right track. Watch for someone playing a long time without winning; or a machine in general that hasn't paid out, no matter how many people played.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Do some remedial arithmetic.

Comment

Well Bods, I can tell you that a couple of "real" (ie successful) programmer friends of mine will never play the things - after working for a company that serviced them.

You see, before you've put the money in, they've decided if there's a chance of paying out or not.

In the UK, the govt sets the minimum payout of 70% of what you put in.

Of course, that doesn't mean even over a whole lifetime you'll get back exactly 70% of what you put in...

...But every time you put money in, that's the proportion of cash you can expect to get back.

The odds can be skewed if the operator has "stoked" the machine not to pay out at 70%, or the other way if it's malfunctioning or has recently been compromised by a professional gambler...

... A gambling compulsion can cost your money, your self respect, and your life. Set limits, BE ABLE TO WALK AWAY - and you;ll probably be OK.

Personally, I only play them when;-

a) I NEED money (typically to get public transport home).

b) I have SOME money but not enough.

c) If I crap out and lose the lot, it's walkable.
          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy

In the UK, the govt sets the minimum payout of 70% of what you put in.
            thats what I find funny, it has to say by law on the machine what percentage it pays out. it tells you "If you stick a hundred quid in, I will give you 70% back!!!!!" and people still play the things

the only way to stand a chance is to let a mug feed it for a couple of hours and then jump in when he goes to the bar for change*

*This strategy is adopted at your own risk, I have seen fights break out when people use this method

Comment

A thing I have never been able to work out is whether the person is playing the slot machine or the slot machine is playing the person.

You can certainly support the proposition that it is the machine which initiates everything much easier than the alternative. What with all those (really rather insulting) flashing lights and so on.

I am (or have been) a gambling man. I would be ashamed of being seen trying to buck the 1.25% house edge on a European single zero roulette wheel (well, unless the girl is very pretty). The notion of bucking a 30% house percentage nearly makes me ill.

(As for national lottery tickets, I have to avert my eyes and say an earnest prayer for my species if I see someone buying one of those.)

Oh, and incidentally. If you see a coin tossed thirty times and it comes down heads each time, for God's sake show half an ounce of sense and bet on heads for the thirty-first. The past never has predicted the future but, at least, if it really IS a double headed coin you are doing nothing foolish.

Unless this is all happening on a street corner, another guy makes the bet and wins, and about three guys in the audience with accents not a million miles apart from the coin tossing guy start urging you on as to what easy money it all represents. In that case keep your hand on your wallet as you walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by East Street Trader

I am (or have been) a gambling man. I would be ashamed of being seen trying to buck the 1.25% house edge on a European single zero roulette wheel (well, unless the girl is very pretty). The notion of bucking a 30% house percentage nearly makes me ill.
                Yep, roulettes a bad bet and it's STILL a lot better than the slots!

A bookie works on 15% (ish) profit per race/game/fight so betting on a sport you know something about gives you better odds than slot machines

Comment

Re: Slot Machines

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                  Anyone play these things? Any hints and tips?

You just put coins in and pull a lever, right? How much strategy can there be?

Comment

Re: Re: Slot Machines

Originally posted by Kucinich

You just put coins in and pull a lever, right? How much strategy can there be?
                    Nope, they're more 'complicated' now, instead of pulling a lever to get 70% of your money back, you have to press loads of buttons and watch flashing lights.

It makes the punter think he's got more control........

Comment

the only way to stand a chance is to let a mug feed it for a couple of hours and then jump in when he goes to the bar for change*
                      I'm pretty sure this "strategy" is bollocks.

The machines don't pay out a bunch after they've been paying out nothing; each pull of the lever is guaranteed (by the laws in the jurisdictions I'm familiar with) to be completely independent of the last.

In other words it's like thinking that you're making a good bet on flipping tails because you've just flipped ten heads in a row. Probability doesn't work that way.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        In other words it's like thinking that you're making a good bet on flipping tails because you've just flipped ten heads in a row. Probability doesn't work that way.
                        The major, and I mean MAJOR, hole in that argument is that 'heads' (ie. house win) is allowed by law to only come up 70% of the time.

Slot machines don't work on probabilty math, they work on 'x is paid in = y is paid out' it's just a matter of catching them right.

When tossing a coin and getting 100 heads, no-one is saying to the coin "by law, you need to come up tails sometime soon".

Geddit?
                        Last edited by reds4ever; June 9, 2004, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

The major, and I mean MAJOR, hole in that argument is that 'heads' (ie. house win) is allowed by law to only come up 70% of the time.

Slot machines don't work on probabilty math, they work on 'x is paid in = y is paid out' it's just a matter of catching them right.

Geddit?
                          Actually, I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

The law could simply require them to have a random number generator which gives the sucker a 70% return. In fact, this is the only system which makes any sense. In other words, putting in a hundred dollars does not guarantee a 70 dollar return; that 70$ return is simply an average.

The only system which would ensure that exactly 70% of the money was returned is the one which takes in 1$ and spits out 70 cents every time. Not very exciting.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

each pull of the lever is guaranteed (by the laws in the jurisdictions I'm familiar with) to be completely independent of the last.
                            Not in the UK, see

Comment

In other words, putting in a hundred dollars does not guarantee a 70 dollar return; that 70$ return is simply an average..
                              Yep, it's just getting to the machine after its 'up', it needs less money to get it's average. I don't think probabilty math has much to do with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X