No announcement yet.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Babylon 5 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked Starship Troopers (especially the shower scene )

Demolition man was underrated.

Total Recal
    Galaxy Quest quite funny
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

SW was kick ass...but Episodes 1 & 2 kinda ruin it. They are ok movies to watch once or twice, but on overal they were rather mediocre. And their sucking nature takes away some of the magic from episodes 4, 5 and 6. A shame.
      Oh come on! You know that in episode 3 they're going to have to waste Jar Jar at some point. He's the guy who made the downfall of the Republic possible. Either the rebellion will stage a revenge assasination or Bobba Fett will put him out of his misery at the emporer's request. It will be worth it. Maybe to dispose of his body they'll serve him up as frog's legs.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

SPOILER

Jar-Jar is suppose to be living on Alderaan when it get's hit.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Good use of the spoiler box there, Lonestar.

Comment

I live to serve.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Why "versus"?. When I was younger you must be Beatles OR Stones fan. Nobody likes both (well I don't like Stones too much).

I like Star Trek, speccially TNG, but DS9, TOS and VOY (in this order) too.

And I like StarWars. The "original". The good movies. I hate the 1 and 2 episodes

And I like Babylon5 too. And Crusade (we can't save it )
              Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
                Jar-Jar is suppose to be living on Alderaan when it get's hit.

Comment

Thanks for the spoiler warning, Kucinich.

Comment

I have divided feelings about this question. On one hand I really like Star Trek. The optimism, the idea about a brilliant future, really skilled characters, plots that made you think... On the other side, the chapters that usually are considered as the "best" Star Trek are plainly boring for me, and the Prime Directive just sucks.

I think that Babylon 5 is much better than Star Trek giving a moral lesson. I prefer the Babylon 5 message "We wish we didn´t have to go to war, but we have no other choice" than the Star Trek one "It´s better to lose the war than to betray your principles".

Star Wars is quite entertaining but cannot be compared with ST or B5.
                    "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                    "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

• Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                      Voyager and Enterprise are tied too...but only because both suck so badly. Enterprise is still going though, so it may get better (DS9, TNG and B5 all sucked in the begining too)...but then again, they already had 3 seasons, they should have gotten things right by now. Season 3 was alright to watch, but completely irrelevant. The whole Xindi thing was pointless, it showed us little, and played out like 1 big episode. It would have been alright if they managed to make it into a Dominion War like saga, spanning several seasons...but instead, the Xindi weapon plot came...and went. Now, season 4 will be starting, and we're right where we left of at the end of season 2. The Xindi have made peace and left, and a new saga starts.
                      I have to disagree here. Despite Enterprise Season 2 has been quite boring, Season 3 is the best Trek ever. If Season 4 continues this way it will no doubt become better than DS9, and it could even go beyong B5
                      "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                      "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

• Originally posted by OliverFA
                        I think that Babylon 5 is much better than Star Trek giving a moral lesson. I prefer the Babylon 5 message "We wish we didn´t have to go to war, but we have no other choice" than the Star Trek one "It´s better to lose the war than to betray your principles".
                        Have you watched DS9? Especially "Under the Pale Moonlight"?

That's certainly not the message I got....
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by Edan
                          Have you watched DS9? Especially "Under the Pale Moonlight"?

That's certainly not the message I got....
                          Excuse me for being a bit too general in my explanation. I have to concede you about that. DS9 is definitely much better than TNG. At least in DS9 Sisko realizes that they are in a real war with real consequences, and doesn´t play to act as if he was God like Picard likes to do. Not in all episodes but in many of them. Remember that 7th season episode in which they allow an entire civilization to die because they haven´t discovered warp technology and don´t want to contaminate their society? Better died than contaminated I suppose...

But I have to agree with you. DS9 is far superior than any other Trek series, (except Enterprise season 3) and very very close to Babylon 5. But Babylon 5 wins over DS9 because they don´t have the Federation prejudices.

Comment

• Have never seen Blake's 7, but reading about it here makes me wish I had. In the same line I'm also found of quite few elements of the alien-films. Even if I really disliked the last of them, the darkness in it makes up for all those star trek-people in their tight pyjamases.

Star wars is/was a decent Sci-fi opera triology, but the last (first) films have really soiled them down. Anything that was good about the old ones are ****ed up in the new ones. Is there any actor whose performace on the scrren isn't at the level of a teenager's during his/hers first sexual experience when Lucas gets to control them?

The Matrix- they should never have made more than the first one. Same thing as with star wars.

Comment

• some questions...

will there be a 5th-7th season to Enterprise?

and when's SW ep3 coming out?
                              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• Originally posted by OliverFA
                                ... On the other side, the chapters that usually are considered as the "best" Star Trek are plainly boring for me, and the Prime Directive just sucks.

2 points: 1st, the Prime Directive is the actually prime directive used by antropologists when they study a different cullture.
                                2nd, maybe I'm already too hippie but I think the best war is the war without death. We have recently seen the results of "We wish we didn´t have to go to war, but we have no other choice". I always suspect about the real intentions of they who uses that excuse.

I'm sorry about my bad english
                                Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

Working...
                                X