No announcement yet.

The foundation of modern christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He more than made it acceptable. We both agree that he probably was not really Christian. But as any good(machiavellian) politician will do, he used it as an asset to consolidate his power. He even went so far as to persecute non-christians and christians from different sects. At the time, all christians did not have the same exact beliefs. Some did not believe in the old testament for example. They were persecuted.

My readings also tell me that constantine ruled the east and western empires. So his influence is on east+west=all of christianity.

The previous mormon comment was directed elsewhere.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Who is your patron saint AH?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Saint Martin as a naming saint.

Saint Joseph as a baptism saint.

Saint Peter as a confirmation saint.

Of the 3 probably Saint Joseph has had the biggest influence on my life in a protective sense, but I'm also very fond of Saint Peter and his influence has been more inspirational. To me, Saint Peter is the ideal warts and all christian man. I'm more like the 2 Saint Martins, the soldier and the priest, in personality.

Unlike you Ted, I have powerful friends
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If the mormon's accept the bible that was compiled by the Roman catholic church or some other offshoot then they are tainted with paganism. The reason why people question the mormon's is the beliefs that they add to christianity, same for voodoo and christian science.
          What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
          What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

They don't PA.

They accept a version that was given to Joseph Smith through revelation. That version is the original word that existed before Roman Catholicism.

Comment

Aeson,
              I won't pretend to be an authority on the mormon belief. I just see being a moromon as the same way I see the difference between a christian, jew, and muslim. while they have some differences they still come from the same origins.

The mormons believe that there version of religion is the correct one just like baptists, catholics, methodists, shiites, jews, and sunni's among a grwoing list of religion.

According to your statements the mormons believe in the same god that Jews, Christians, and muslims believe. Even if it is their belief that there version of religion is prior to the RC influence that does not make it tru. half the proof that there are exposed to RC is in there name. Later day SAINTS.

Comment

Using the term 'saints' is not restricted to RC or RC based traditions. The LDS use of the term is certainly much different than the RC use as I understand it. All members of the LDS church are considered latter day 'saints'. To them it basically means a follower of Christ, or more specifically, the true doctrine of Christ.

To claim that being exposed to something is the same as being an offshoot of it is rather ludicrous in any case. You obviously have been exposed to RC to some extent, as you are referencing them. You show your exposure to Mormonism in the same light. Does that make what you think and believe in an offshoot of RC and LDS doctrines?

As for the difference in the version of the Bible, it just comes down to what it is claimed to be based off of. What it actually is based off of is a matter of faith. Maybe Joseph Smith did receive revelation, was basing things off of what he had seen in other religions, or was halucinating. Either way, the version definitely isn't the same as the one used in RC.

While I see your point that RC has influenced the Christian world in general, it doesn't mean that any specific aspect of RC has been adopted by any group of Christians, or even that to be Christian is to be an offshoot of RC. Jesus existed before RC (if you think he existed at all). Christians existed before RC. The writings in the New Testament existed before RC, and indeed other writings dealing with Jesus' life are out there that were not accepted by RC. Basing a religion off of these things is possible.

In short, RC != Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Pax Africanus
                  He more than made it acceptable. We both agree that he probably was not really Christian. But as any good(machiavellian) politician will do, he used it as an asset to consolidate his power. He even went so far as to persecute non-christians and christians from different sects. At the time, all christians did not have the same exact beliefs. Some did not believe in the old testament for example. They were persecuted.

My readings also tell me that constantine ruled the east and western empires. So his influence is on east+west=all of christianity.

The previous mormon comment was directed elsewhere.
                  right

he persecuted christians from different sects

but some of those sects survived

that is why what you are saying is BS

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Which sects would those be that have the same influence on christianity that catholocism does?the same influence or access to the bible, the calender, and world history?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Unlike you Ted, I have powerful friends
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

SAINT MARTIN CABALLERO PWNZ ALL!!!

St Martin of Tours for you Eurocoms
                        Last edited by Ted Striker; May 5, 2004, 02:27.

Comment

I just posted that to annoy the protestants
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Pax Africanus
                            Which sects would those be that have the same influence on christianity that catholocism does?the same influence or access to the bible, the calender, and world history?
                            catholocism does have the most influence

but we can see the effects of Constantine by looking at churchs who were not effected by him and by studying history

he did not found modern christianity, like some people are currently implying or saying

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

my statement was that your opening post (especially "My question is would'nt this pervision of christianity make all christian religions corrupt and false religions?") was BS

since we now (and protestants in the past) had and have access to both preconstantine histories and churchs that he did not affect

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

and the bible is basically the same for them

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X