Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2nd & 3rd Waratahs XV rolled Scotland 33-15 last night. Scotland fielded their "midweek" team but the Waratahs really were a baby outfit with youth being tried out to test their potential for next season. The match wasn't televised. According to the press this morning, Scotland were strong in set pieces, adept at slowing the ball down, but their game was non-existent past #12. The baby Waratahs quickly realised that any ball spun wide was bound to succeed and off they went. End of story. Matt Williams sounded very very depressed by the effort.

Oh, and G. Henry has gone with Carlos against England. Mehrtens doesn't even make the bench.

Mils Muliaina; Doug Howlett, Tana Umaga (captain), Daniel Carter, Joe Rokocoko, Carlos Spencer, Justin Marshall; Kees Meeuws, Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Keith Robinson, Chris Jack, Jono Gibbes, Ritchie McCaw, Xavier Rush.

Replacements: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Byron Kelleher, Nick Evans, Sam Tuitupou.
    Last edited by finbar; June 8, 2004, 20:39.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• He was, prior to this, rushing through legislation to prohibit same-sex marriages. Say no more.
      At least you are not led by a Scotsman who affects an English public school accent.

Hullo Mr Trescothic?
      Yes indeed. Another classy century against mediocre bowling. It keeps him in the mix even when he keeps failing against top class bowling.

Hopefully he's seen the light.
      Seems to have. Lets see next year.

Currently, our batting is massively stronger than our bowling
      The same still holds true for us. Although the bowling line up is looking better than it has in years.

Mmmmm. I don't know 30% of this team. I shall watch with interest.
      It’s all right for you – not only do I have huge fears for the selection he has made I have to get up at 7am on Saturday to catch it! Still if the Boks decide to play that match is (much) later and may provide some enjoyment.

Shaw incidentally spent a season in NZ back in the early 90s and played for a side called the Pirates at the house of pain quite regularly. He says he loves the place as the ‘students in the crowd go nuts’?

Welcome to the label of World Champions.
      Sack Clive, get Jonno at the helm and maybe we’ll keep the label.

Hmm you know Tamerlin had a point – that Kiwi pack doesn’t look too threatening. Unless I’m just looking for hope somewhere. At least Thommo won’t be the worst hooker on the field anyway.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Andydog sniffs around the hook

Ahh yes, the old Havak-Tamerlin 'lets-bash-the-kiwi-forwards' tag team duo.

Well, don't be too quick to write off our forwards. And here’s why:

Henry and the boys know full well that the way to take care of the pom pack to ruck ruck ruck the ****e out of them! Last year the pommy forwards slowed down possession at the breakdown so much so that our backline was starved of time and space when the ball eventually filtered out to them. The answer is rucking!

Mitchell announced just before last year’s World Cup that the ABs no longer ruck. I think that absolutely ludicrous!

I’ll bet you anything you like that Henry has instructed our boys to dish out a shoe-pie or two in the opening exchanges – thus sending a strong message that slowing down possession won’t be tolerated. Listed for the “99!!” call when you see the first Englishman put his grubby filthy mitt into the ruck – it’s a cue for AB forwards to pile in and hit the nearest white shirt!

So there you are. McCaw, Gibbes, Rush - I'm telling you these boys were selected primarily because they have absolutely no qualms with dealing out a bit of rough justice! And fair play to them, there is nothing wrong with a bit of slipper early on just to soften up the oppo. McCaw needs to take a few flyers at Hodgson, and the blokes need to pile into rucks and mauls all arms and legs.

Bring on the World Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
          Oh, and G. Henry has gone with Carlos against England. Mehrtens doesn't even make the bench.
          Yes, dissapointing (as I said above ). It seems that not many back home are surpirsed - Spencer and Henry have a history going waaaaay back to when he was first head hunted from Horowhenua (where I grew up actually).

Perhaps a 'last chance' clause here for Carlos?

Comment

• Excellent stuff – this thread has missed your keen wit!

I love the idea of the Kiwi pack making a 99 call – better make sure there are eight stretchers handy to get your lads to hospital quickly.

The only thing funnier is the idea that Richie McCaw – an openside of the old school fully versed in killing ball – will be dealing out natural justice to others doing the same. The other two lads are too inexperienced for me to know if the mantle of ‘justice dealer’ is similarly hypocritical for them.

Have you missed the retirement of Neil back (Mr kill-ball himself)– the back row Clive is fielding is Hill-Dallaglio-Jones. Dally can kill ball with the best of ‘em (binned in his last outing for it in fact) but Hilly is going to be physical – he is going to hammer into your lads and drive them off the ball whenever possible (on the flip side this makes him an awful 7 at times). Jones as I have said I do not rate as a traditional 6 but he is big and very quick – I’m sure he will say hello to Carlos a few times.

I really don’t think you are going to win this up front – move it wide quickly and have the big ‘kiwis’ in your backline run over Simpson-Daniel and into Cohen and Lewsey (both of whom tackle well but intelligent use of runners so one is always aiming at S-D and you are laughing). S-D is certainly the weak link as his defence would not impress an asthmatic ant – if I know this you can bet Henry does.

Given that Henry has humiliated Mehrtens now I wonder if his move is back on? I loved Graham’s comment that Mehrthens looked better in the trial game only because the forwards got a bit more ‘go forward’ in front of him.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
              At least you are not led by a Scotsman who affects an English public school accent.
              Better that than a spineless, racist specimen of 1950s methodist sensibilities.

It’s all right for you – not only do I have huge fears for the selection he has made I have to get up at 7am on Saturday to catch it!
              Cripes! Hardly worth going to bed.

Shaw incidentally spent a season in NZ back in the early 90s and played for a side called the Pirates at the house of pain quite regularly. He says he loves the place as the ‘students in the crowd go nuts’?
              Two of my closer friends are from there. Well, he's from there, she's from a wee bit further west. Nice little town. The scarfies give it atmosphere. On Uni holidays, it's a ghost town.

Hmm you know Tamerlin had a point –
              I know where he was today. Popped up to Paris to attend the re-burying of that bloody little grenouille prince's heart.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andydog

Yes, dissapointing (as I said above ). It seems that not many back home are surpirsed - Spencer and Henry have a history going waaaaay back to when he was first head hunted from Horowhenua (where I grew up actually).

Perhaps a 'last chance' clause here for Carlos?
                Well, he has his chance. Let's see what happens. Though a better test will be the first Bledisloe Cup match.

Oh, and Havak's utter hatred of the term truck & trailer makes it two votes for Rugby - Truck & Trailer!.

Comment

• Bledisloe? tests?

When did they receive that elevated status? I always thought they were now friendly little games of S12 writ large? I had no idea they gave you guys CAPS for them still - what is the world coming to?

Comment

• New thread guys...
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
                    X