No announcement yet.

And then God said "April Fool!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously though, for the religionists, did she do the right thing?

If you heard a voice in your head that you sincerely believe was God telling you to kill your kids, would you do it? Which gets priority..your kids..or God?

How do you tell the difference between a voice in your head and God? After all, it wouldn't be the first time God has ordered his followers to kill innocent people.
    I think god would take precendence over a human. Aslong as she was completely sure beyond a doubt in her mind(in reality being crazy) then yes, she acted correctly.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

• Where does it say that in the bible?
      Go read the thread where they cited the quote from Genesis.

Or go look it up for yourself.

Just be careful not to burn your fingertips.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
        Seriously, a voice in one's head is a voice in one's head; assuming there is a god, instructions from Him might very well take that form. Instructions from God would probably not take the form of marking a kid to die by having him play with a toy spear and squeeze a frog, unless God happens to be a seriously stoned beatnik performance artist.
        So what about Son of Sam, or all those folks who have heard voices in their head telling them to do naughty, nasty things? Are they somehow more sane and rational than this woman?

I think you're assumption that if there is a god, his instructions would be in any particular form and not another are rather unfounded, given that even in the Bible he uses other means of giving signs to people. I'm not sure what distinguishes this woman's hallucinations from many of those.

re "religionist": Actually, I think I used this term before curtsibling. I never saw it as a negative connotation. What's negative about it? It's simply a shorter way of saying "religious person," which can get cumbersome to type. It's also accurate, as it just means someone who practices religion in some form.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Go read the thread where they cited the quote from Genesis.

Or go look it up for yourself.

Just be careful not to burn your fingertips.
          You made the claim he said it, why don't you just post the verse where he says it? I can't find any such reference in Gen 22. Unless you're referring to Abraham's snarky little lie to Isaac about God providing a lamb:

22:7
          And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

22:8
          And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

That's not Abraham hoping God will substitute another sacrifice, that's him making a little lie to his son so he won't have to tell Isaac that he is the sacrifice.
          Last edited by Boris Godunov; April 7, 2004, 08:39.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
          X