U.S. Backs Israel in UNSC vote on Yassin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    Because he could be a source of intell we would value. If such we're not the case, we wouldn't care either way.
    And there you have the difference between Osama and Yassin-Osama was in the know about attacks-it is questionable Yassin was. Thus the rationale for assasinating him is weak moraly.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's just as questionable about Osama. Actually, with Osama and the actual terrorists being on different sides of the planet, I think it's VERY questionable.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Are you seriously asking that we, during war time, put every combatant on trial before conducting military operations?!
        Yassin wasn't a combatant. Previously my main opposition to the assassination of Yassin was simply location. I don't think civilized countries should carry out assassination by missile attack in crowded areas.

PLATO brings up an excellent point. Civilized countries should not engage in extrajudical killings except in war zones, and then only when targets cannot be captured without great risk. This is death squad activity. Israel has death squads.

What disturbs m is tha a Republican pointed this out. I'm getting slow in my old age.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          It's just as questionable about Osama. Actually, with Osama and the actual terrorists being on different sides of the planet, I think it's VERY questionable.
          While the cells were far away, the reason we went after Osama int he first place, and keep after him, are becuase of his fundraising activities, and running training camps. As I said, yassin played the same role on the street as he did in Israeli prisons. Now, if Israel wants to change its civil law to include the DP for terrorism, go right ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Yassin wasn't a combatant.
            Yeah, and Hitler wasn't a frontline combatant either.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

What disturbs m is tha a Republican pointed this out. I'm getting slow in my old age.

[Cartman]nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you're ollld[/Cartman]
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

While the cells were far away, the reason we went after Osama int he first place, and keep after him, are becuase of his fundraising activities, and running training camps.

Which aren't planning the terror acts themselves.

As I said, yassin played the same role on the street as he did in Israeli prisons.

Why do you think this is the case?

Now, if Israel wants to change its civil law to include the DP for terrorism, go right ahead.

PLATO brings up an excellent point. Civilized countries should not engage in extrajudical killings except in war zones, and then only when targets cannot be captured without great risk. This is death squad activity. Israel has death squads.

So you say that whacking those guys from Al-Qaeda with a predator drone was "Death Squad activity" as well?
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

And there you have the difference between Osama and Yassin-Osama was in the know about attacks-it is questionable Yassin was. Thus the rationale for assasinating him is weak moraly.
                    Morally shmorally. You simply laid out a case that it is expedient to capture him for intel sake. Morals have little to do with it. If he wasn't a intel resource, as Dino suggests "Dead or alive" would fit the bill.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

While the cells were far away, the reason we went after Osama int he first place, and keep after him, are becuase of his fundraising activities,
                      Yassin would have been a pretty poor leader without ability to rasie funds.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                        Which aren't planning the terror acts themselves.
                        I believe the US has far more evidence that he was actually involved in giving the OK to plans, reviewing plans. Just running the training camps means he had more connection to operations than Yassin.

Why do you think this is the case?

What, did the Israelis gag him so he could not advocate the destruction of Israel anymore? There is a reason Israel let him out-becuase he was so high value-and thus that might placate Jordan after the Mossad screwup.

If Israeli's think calling for violence and being a provocateur warrants death, then arrest the guy, show the evidence, convict him, and then execute him.

Comment

If Israeli's think calling for violence and being a provocateur warrants death, then arrest the guy, show the evidence, convict him, and then execute him.
                          Would you believe that this is still the proper couse of action if they had attempted to catch him and a gun battle had erupted with civilian casualties? What if he was killed in this gunbattle and there were civilian casualties?
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel

So you say that whacking those guys from Al-Qaeda with a predator drone was "Death Squad activity" as well?
                            Hense my caveats. The hill country in Yemen is completely unsafe for outsiders to go and it is a war zone.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Would you believe that this is still the proper couse of action if they had attempted to catch him and a gun battle had erupted with civilian casualties? What if he was killed in this gunbattle and there were civilian casualties?
                              Israel has carried out much bigger raids, and last time I checked Israel always highlights how, no matter how brutal the Jenin firefights were, most dead were gunmen, and that unlike prior statements, not many civilians died.

SORRY, but they can't have it both ways, saying something like Jenin was fine becuase look, few civilians died due to our carefulness about Palestinian casualties, than say "we could never ever go arrest him because of the great danger of so many dead". If he were killed in a gun battle (accidentaly as opposed to on purpose) then at least Israel attempted to do the right thing.

Comment

"Some analysts here suggest that the leaders' roles are actually more direct. During the 45-minute interview in Yassin's compound, for example, aides twice brought him urgent news about developments in Ramallah, and he issued clear, direct orders."

Hamas spiritual leader, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, personally authorized the use of the female suicide bomber who attacked the Erez terminal crossing Wednesday, killing four Israelis.
                                http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1074140311992&p=1008596981749

"Yassin was also a central Hamas authority for terrorist decision and policy making. Yassin personally authorized suicide attacks, bombing attacks and Qassam missile attacks against the State of Israel.
                                The 'targeted assassination' of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, the spiritual leader and founder member of the Islamic militant group Hamas, in a missile strike in the Gaza Strip this morning has been condemned
                                Last edited by Edan; March 26, 2004, 21:24.
                                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X