U.S. Backs Israel in UNSC vote on Yassin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Backs Israel in UNSC vote on Yassin

Resolution condemning killing of Hamas leader defeated by US veto in Security Council

UN Security Council in session
    25 March 2004 – The United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt a resolution that would have condemned the assassination of Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, with the United States vetoing what it called a one-sided text.

The resolution, sponsored by Algeria and Libya, garnered 11 tallies in favour, with the United States casting the sole vote against it. Germany, Romania and the United Kingdom abstained.

Speaking before the vote, Ambassador John D. Negroponte of the United States explained that his country opposed the resolution because it was "silent about the terrorist atrocities committed by Hamas," did not reflect the realities of the conflict in the Middle East and "because it will not further the goals of peace and security in the region."

Ambassador Negroponte said the United States was "deeply troubled" by the killing of Sheikh Yassin. "Israel's action has escalated tensions in Gaza and the region, and could set back our efforts to resume progress towards peace," he said.

But he added that events must be considered in their context and the Council "does nothing to contribute to a peaceful settlement when it condemns one party's actions and turns a blind eye to everything else occurring in the region."

Following the vote, Algeria's Ambassador, Abdallah Baali, said the result was as if the Security Council concluded that it had no say in the terrible tragedy unfolding in that part of the world. "By not condemning the extrajudicial killing of Sheikh Yassin, the Security Council is not sending the right message to the world which has unanimously condemned this crime," he said.

Ambassador Baali added that the Council was not sending the right message to those who sincerely believed that it was the custodian of international law. "But it is certainly sending the wrong message to Israel, whose representative boasted two days ago in this very chamber about the crime and vowed to continue the unlawful policy of extrajudicial killings," he said.

If adopted, the text would have condemned "the most recent extrajudicial execution committed by Israel, the occupying Power," that killed Sheikh Ahmed Yassin along with six other Palestinians outside a mosque Monday in Gaza City, and called for a complete end to such killings.

The draft expressed the Council's grave concern at the continued deterioration of the situation on the ground in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, as a result of the escalation of violence and attacks, and condemned all terrorist attacks against any civilians as well as all acts of violence and destruction.

The draft also called on all sides to immediately undertake an unconditional cessation of acts of violence, including all acts of terrorism, provocation, incitement and destruction.

In a related provision, the Council would have called for the end to all illegal measures and practices and for respect for and adherence to international humanitarian law. Both parties would have been called on to fulfil their obligations under the Road Map and to work with the Quartet to implement it, in order to achieve the vision of the two States living side-by-side in peace and security.

The Road Map is a plan sponsored by the UN, European Union, Russian Federation and United States that calls for a series of parallel and reciprocal steps leading to two States living side by side in peace by 2005.
    Thoughts?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

The death of a terrorist is not something to condemn.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
      The death of a terrorist is not something to condemn.
      I totally agree.

But can we have government sponsored execution without due process? Why not a trial? He was in Gaza...they could have gone and got him...Or would that have caused civilian casualties? What is the right way to handle these situations?
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My wife didn;t believe me when I predicted this a few days ago
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

How is the wife, comrade?

to US
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

I totally agree.

But can we have government sponsored execution without due process? Why not a trial? He was in Gaza...they could have gone and got him...Or would that have caused civilian casualties? What is the right way to handle these situations?
            If we're the "good guys" then we should put suspected terrorists on trial. If they are the "bad guys" then they will be found guilty.

Actions like the one Israel took to assassinate Yassin are the same as those taken by the "terrorists." Before someone trys to tell me different, what do you think the response would be to firing rockets at George Bush from a helicopter gunship? Terrorism? I think so.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

According to the palestinians, and the people that defend them, it's a war.

In war there is no due process, no trial. Assassination of leaders is acceptable.

So:

1.The Palestinians have to accept it, while still being angry.

2. Don't accept it, say that it was criminal, thus saying they aren't at war, incriminating themselves.

Can't have it both ways.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I totally agree.

I think it was more of an issue of self-defense, then government sponsored execution. Could of gone in and get him? That would of been a blood bath too I would think.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The US seems to be the only clear headed country on the Security Council reguarding this issue. Terrorists need to be brought down by any means necissary.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

But can we have government sponsored execution without due process?
                    Are you seriously asking that we, during war time, put every combatant on trial before conducting military operations?!

Comment

Even when they encourage more terrorists?
                      Thats strange logic.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Some alternative views:

Israel's Interior Minister Avraham Poraz, who voted against assassinating Yassin in the security cabinet last week, warned after the attack that many Israelis could pay with their lives for the assassination.

"I fear we have opened up a cycle here and that many will pay for it with their lives," Poraz told Israel Radio. "I am afraid that Hamas's motivation will increase. [Yassin] will become some sort of martyr... a national hero for them and I'm very sorry to say, this won't prevent Hamas from continuing its activities."

Leader of the left-wing Yahad Party and former justice minister Yossi Beilin also criticized the assassination, asking, "How many Israelis will have to pay with their lives for this act?" He said the assassination was a "horrendous mistake that will cost Israel heavily."
                        Israel's Assassinations Will Only Fuel Suicide Bombings

The assassination of Shiekh Admed Yassin is worse than a crime, it is an act of stupidity!

This is the beginning of a new chapter of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It moves the conflict from the level of a solvable national conflict to the level of religious conflict, which by its very nature is insoluble.

The fate of the State of Israel is now in the hands of group of persons whose outlook is primitive and whose perceptions are retarded. They are incapable of understanding the mental, emotional and political dimensions of the conflict. This is a group of bankrupt political and military leaders who have failed in all their actions. They try to cover up their failures by a catastrophic escalation.
                        The Assassination of Sheikh Yassin
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hmm.. both sources go to counterpunch so I think you are getting one biased, wrong view there. And both are wrong. Killing a terrorist is a necessary thing to do. The man was directing murders, so this was an act of self defense.

Comment

The Israeli government has commissioned several serious studies on the effects for killing leading terrorist figures. The results? They found a very short intial period where terror attacks increased followed by a long quiet period were the rate of attacks significantly decrease.

Killing the trained leadership really does slow down terror attacks as the terrorists are forced to find and train new leaders.

The net result is actually fewer terror attacks.

Comment

The problem is that if you agree that Israel can use military means, the Palestinians obviously can. This means "no civilians spared".
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X