Re-establish Byzantium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    Anyway, why would they have to "go Stalinist"?

Because Koningsberg/Kaliningrad is the only known instance of this sort of idiocy "working".
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

should the Greeks retake the city they founded and the Greek areas of asia minor?
      for now, i'm uniting the world in the Alexander CTW Campaign or Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots

When i finish that up.....
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        Istanbul is so thoroughly Turkish that the only way the Greeks could hold it would be to exterminate the existing population and supplant it with Greek colonials. Not exactly approved of in this day and age.
        Well, it worked for the Turks. Oh, you said "this day and age".
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

"Good thought Lance.

I have often pondered how Turkey is going to except the {NEW & improved G.W.} Iraq?"

Not alot of choice I would guess. What concerns me more is how hard the Kurds are going to push their luck. I think it was Oerdin that said that the Iraqis are nationalistic towards Iraq as the Kurds are towards Kurdistan. Might have been Oerdin... Anyway if the Kurds start their own country out of their corner of Iraq then the Turks will invade or face a civil war at home. The Kurds would fight of course...

I wonder how the US would react? How the newly independant Iraq would react?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
            I am sure they will also it same to be restored to a greated "Roman Empire."
            Do you speak English?

I have no idea why Italy would object to Istanbul being restored to its former name.
            They would't mind Byzantium, but "Nova Roma" would be a bit much. Not to mention Istanbul becoming the capital of this "Roman Empire" rather than Rome.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

you mean that in the 1950's (Constantinople) or 1970's (Cyprus) mass removal of thousands of people from their homes was considered ok?

Comment

In the middle of a Turkish/Kurd civil war I can well imagine the Marcos and the other Greeks stepping in to, erm, 'restore order'. In the process, purely by accident, restoring Byzantium...

Comment

well, i'm already on greek-turkish borders, it wont be hard to start the campaign

seriously though, Greece didnt use the opportunities of the last 15 years to "free" (for example) the greek minority in albania so i dont think you should have any fear about us going to restore byzantium.....

we're just going to take the world via a massive pop-up campaign....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    you mean that in the 1950's (Constantinople) or 1970's (Cyprus) mass removal of thousands of people from their homes was considered ok?
                    No I mean the massacre of the Byzantines inhabiting Constantinople when it fell in the 15th century.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatore Uno

Do you speak English?

They would't mind Byzantium, but "Nova Roma" would be a bit much. Not to mention Istanbul becoming the capital of this "Roman Empire" rather than Rome.
                      It will just restore the situation to its status quo after Constantine.

Besides, "Nova Roma" is what the capital of the Empire was called.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I restore the Byzantine Empire all the time... In Europa Univerlis 2.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There never was an empire known as the Byzantine Empire. It was known as the Roman Empire or as Romania.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Then what is that thing that I 'know' as the Byzantine Empire? Cottage cheese?
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                              Then what is that thing that I 'know' as the Byzantine Empire? Cottage cheese?
                              That was a label affixed to the Eastern Roman Empire by some Brit Historian. The label seems to have become fixed in our minds. The people themselves were Romans. Their nation was the Roman Empire or Romania.

Comment

"we're just going to take the world via a massive pop-up campaign...."

Comment

Working...
                                X