Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were the greatest defenders of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were the greatest defenders of all time?

Alright, if you had to pick one squad that you think was the best defenders of all time, who would you pick, and why? Most of these are from the modern era, but some of them from ancient times.

1. Byzantines at Constantinople - Considered the greatest of its day, this walled city was also protected by water on most of its sides. The city withstood repeated seiges for hundreds of years until the punk azz Italians sold them out. The Byzantines weren't the best fighters, as they had German mercenaries do most of the dirty work, but Contantinople was one of the best defended cities ever.

2. The Germanic tribes against Rome - The Romans made several invasions against the Germans but rarley succeeded in getting past the Rhine. In my opinion Germans are probably the best fighters ever, combining speed, intelligence, tactics, and an insane amount of stubborness. These Germanic tribes stopped the greatest empire of all time.

3. The Persians against the Romans - the ancient Cold War, many smaller countries like Armenia unfortunatley got caught in the cross fire and suffered. The Romans could never break the back of Persia, even through several well coordinated attempts.

4. The Soviets at Stalingrad - The city was reduced to rubble and the Germans sent their best units after the Red Army. A breakthrough by Germany would have meant a psychological defeat for Stalin but the Russians held on, sending tanks out of factories and directly onto the front line. Stalingrad is a city of legends, ranking up there with Constantinople. Countless Soviets gave their lives up in brutal urban warfare. Retreat wasn't an option. It could be argued that Stalingrad tipped the balance of the Eastern Front into the eventual Soviet victory.

5. The Vietcong versus USA - Of course some of you will vote for them to spite us Americans. But it can be said that Vietcong were extremely strong willed defenders, resisting 3 different global powerhouses and resisting them well. The Vietcong were well supplied by both Communist China and Russia, it was often said that Hanoi was the most dangerous place to fly in the world at the time. But it was their unbreakable will that kept them free. Military they got their azzes handed to them, but refused to surrender. It's easy to fight on when you are winning, but to keep on in the face of continuing defeats, knowing you are most likely going to die, is the sign of strong will.

6. Imperial Japanese Army versus USA - Poorly equipped, poorly fed, with crappy weapons, these guys were outgunned AT LEAST by a factor of 10 to 1. Even though the Americans in the Pacific fought with alot of heart, they had a very serious advantage in firepower. IJA launched devastating suicide attacks. There are many stories of IJA fighters staying at their posts years after the war, including 1 man who stayed in the Phillipines for well over 30 years, refusing to surrender. It still blows my mind. That guy gives speeches and even to this day you know he wants to pick up his rifle and try to whoop some USA azz. It took two atomic bombs and the intervention of a man they believed was a god to stop the war.

7. Afghan Mujahadeen versus Soviets - The Vietnam for the Soviets, was a vicous war that wrecked an entire country for over 20 years. The Soviets came into Afghanistan and quickly took the entire place over. But the Afghan fighters fled to the hills and engaged a brutal guerrilla war on the Soviets, inflicting massive damage on the other superpower of its day. Mujahadeen were well trained and equipped by the Americans, including the famous Stinger anti-aircraft missle that brought down helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft. The Mujahadeen were masters of their harsh landscape, using mountains and caves to avoid their pursuers. That d1ckhead Bin Laden is a veteran of the resitance, once USA's boy but now a punk who we are going to get.

For me, I'd get a bunch of Imperial Japanese and put them in Constantinople and have the Americans equip them. Nobody would ever break through.
    Byzantines at Constantinople
    13.64%
    The Germanic tribes against Rome
    7.27%
    The Persians against the Romans
    1.82%
    The Soviets at Stalingrad
    24.55%
    The Vietcong versus USA
    15.45%
    Imperial Japanese Army versus USA
    1.82%
    Afghan Mujahadeen versus Soviets
    5.45%
    Striker Warriors
    4.55%
    Berzerker 3rd down and 1
    6.36%
    Banana team banana peel slippery sidewalk defense
    5.45%
    Other
    13.64%
    Last edited by Ted Striker; March 11, 2004, 03:05.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Who were the greatest defenders of all time?

Originally posted by Ted Striker
    There are many stories of IJA fighters staying at their posts years after the war, including 1 man who stayed in the Phillipines for well over 30 years, refusing to surrender.
    Sounds like nobody told him when the war was over
    Blah

Comment

Dick Butkus
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Amazingly, I didn't vote for the Japanese!

I voted Other:

8. Spartans at Thermopylae Killed to the last man so those that others could get the time they desperately needed. I don't know much on Japanese history, but THIS is the things I remember when i think about "honor" and rugged defense.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

To come back on topic, I find some choices like the Germans or Persians too general, so I think I'd choose the Soviets in WWII, not only because of Stalingrad, also the siege of Leningrad comes to my mind here.
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
            8. Spartans at Thermopylae Killed to the last man so those that others could get the time they desperately needed. I don't know much on Japanese history, but THIS is the things I remember when i think about "honor" and rugged defense.
            Yeah, good addition to the list
            Blah

Comment

Imperial Japanese Army?

Well they did fight well, but given the fact they lost the war I can't put much stock in that. NVA and VC on the other hand...

I nominate the Iraq army as worst defenders.

Comment

I voted for Germany- my heritage. Stick it to those Romans!! yeah

Comment

Damn.

I thought this was going to be a soccer thread.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The Spearman fortified on a mountain.

WHERE IS THE ALAMO?

or the greeks vs persians (termopolis or whatever)?
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think the Alamo is overrated.

But if we are going to get into 19th century stuff.

Don't forget about the Mexicans vs. the French on Cinco De Mayo.

Comment

Finns against the soviets
                        "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                          The Spearman fortified on a mountain.

WHERE IS THE ALAMO?

or the greeks vs persians (termopolis or whatever)?

I love the detailed description, Comrade.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

How about the Germans in the first world war?

They surrendered only when they ran out of food supplies.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Finns against the soviets
                              One Finn equals ten Russkies.

In the actual Winter War from late 1939 to early 1940 it wasn't quite that unfair, but it was about one Finnish soldier with inferior equipment (a rifle appropriated from a neighbour, for instance) and not even a uniform against two Russian soldiers with a huge material advantage, plus reserves. On the other hand, Stalin had "purged" the Red army quite a few times.

Oh, and remember that Finland was never occupied, as opposed to Imperial Japan.
                              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
                              X