No announcement yet.

NHL Thread: String Bertuzzi Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's done for the year, a few days in jail maybe, and stiff fines, and then a clean slate for next year.

The game and the league has always had a *nudge nudge wink wink* attitude towards violence on the ice. A guy who steps over the line deserves a very stiff penalty, but don't lynch the guy
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

• NHL released a statement. Bertuzzi's suspended for the rest of the year, including playoffs, and the Canucks as a team are fined $250k. His status for next year will be re-evaluated at a later date.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
        A talk radio host, who started as a sportscaster, said that "Bert" should be heavily fined, kept out as long as Moore has to stay out (and if it's permanent, so be it), and then serve whatever suspension is handed down.

All in addition to the results of any criminal prosecution.

I think this is about right.
        I agree with this.
        What?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
          .... the Canucks as a team are fined $250k.
          Taking into consideration the fact that his intent was to retaliate for the team?
          What?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richelieu

Taking into consideration the fact that his intent was to retaliate for the team?
            Dunno. That's just what I read. Probably a safe assumption, though.
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Richelieu

According to this article , yes.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• This is what Ben calls being bunched from "the side":

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Should have been more... suspend him for at least 10 games next year. *sigh*
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Should have been more... suspend him for at least 10 games next year. *sigh*
                    Still might happen. The league is to review the case before the start next season (assuming, of course, that there is a next season).

Comment

• I doubt he'll be suspended for any stretch of time next season (again, assuming there is one).

But if he ever does bull**** like that again, he'll be banned quicker then you can say "intent to injure."
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Seems fair to me. A rush of blood to the head on Bertuzzi's part, but I don't think he sincerely intended to break Moore's neck, and it looks like he's horrified at what happened.

Considering that Domi got a hefty penalty for elbowing Niedermeyer, who in my opinion deserved it, I suppose this is proportional to the crime.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• NHL released a statement. Bertuzzi's suspended for the rest of the year, including playoffs, and the Canucks as a team are fined $250k. His status for next year will be re-evaluated at a later date.
                          That's way out of proportion...

Compared to what they have done for stick-swinging.

This is what Ben calls being bunched from "the side":
                          To be fair that's not my statement, I was quoting someone else.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I normally don't watch hockey. But from what I can see, it didn't look that bad. What's the big deal?

Comment

• The league is to review the case before the start next season (assuming, of course, that there is a next season).

Indeed (assuming there is a next season... I'm very doubtful). But even so, I don't think they'll assess any further penalty.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The most common legal postition abouts sports violence in USA jurisdition (based much on english common law) is that only that within the rules is mutually consented to and thus exempt from crimminal prosecution; violence against the rules is just as crimminal as if it had not happened within a game. On a practical level, prosecutors rarely bother with it unless serious injury is involved.
                                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                                X