NHL Thread: String Bertuzzi Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moore was dirty but Bertuzzi wasn't?
    Sucker puching is dirty. The hit on Naslund was questionable.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I would suggest Bertuzzi may play in the NHL again when (and if) Moore does.
      Fair enough.

I would abide by that. Same for Moore, would have been nice.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• On a lighter (kinda) note:

The Oilers play the Avs tonight, and Colorado is expected to start Salo! Should be tense, but also make for some good hockey.

It'll be a tough one, but we'll try and tip the scales here.
        "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
        "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
        "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• Originally posted by cinch
          On a lighter (kinda) note:

The Oilers play the Avs tonight, and Colorado is expected to start Salo! Should be tense, but also make for some good hockey.

It'll be a tough one, but we'll try and tip the scales here.
          Let's go Oilers!

I can't believe I just said that.... the last time I used that cheer was when the Canucks played the Rangers in 94.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
            Exactly. Clearly, fighting had nothing to do with this.
            Close, but not quite.

Clearly, fighting did nothing to prevent this, despite the claims of you pro-pugilism people.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Fair enough.

I would abide by that. Same for Moore, would have been nice.
              Except Moore didn't do anything against the rules, Ben. It was a hard, but clean, hit.

If you can't see the different between that and what Bertuzzi did, you are completely hopeless.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
                Close, but not quite.

Clearly, fighting did nothing to prevent this, despite the claims of you pro-pugilism people.
                I never claimed fighting would have prevented this.

I've asserted that banning fighting would not have prevented this, which is a different argument, since -- as you've established -- it has nothing to do with fighting.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Let's go Oilers!

I can't believe I just said that.... the last time I used that cheer was when the Canucks played the Rangers in 94.

Did you cheer for Vancouver over Toronto?

Comment

• Except Moore didn't do anything against the rules, Ben. It was a hard, but clean, hit.

If you can't see the different between that and what Bertuzzi did, you are completely hopeless.
                    There is a difference, which I acknowledged in the post above the one you chose to quote.

Nowhere do I advocate that Moore should have received the same penalty as Bert.

Comment

• I just saw Bertuzzi's statement on SportsNet... As you know, I think Bert should get suspended for the rest of the year. However, I'm not as disgusted with him as I was, initially. He seems genuinely sorry, and I think he'll be able to turn things around... Next season.

Anyway, it was a classy statement by Bertuzzi, and he wasn't afraid to show a little emotion. It's good to see. I didn't want to hate the man.
                      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Did you cheer for Vancouver over Toronto?
                        Are you kidding? I hate Leaf fans... they're almost as bad as Habs fans.

I'm a loyal hockey fan
                        I love the Vancouver Canucks
                        And I don't care if they win
                        They'll always be worth the bucks
                        And I don't care if they bumble or stumble
                        Or if they fumble the pucks
                        'Cuz I'm a loyal hockey fan
                        I love the Vancouver Canucks!
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Good for Bert.

Comment

• I just realized that with the Ron Francis trade, I'm just 2 players away from no longer feeling morally bound to cheer for Carolina. Glen Wesley and Jeff O'Neill are the only Hurricanes players left who actually wore Whalers uniforms...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• All this whining and bleating about violence in hockey is getting annoying.

We're talkin gabout a sport played in a confined area with huge competitive guys carrying hockey sticks. Fights are bound to happen, and every once in a while some idiot goes way overboard.

But it's not like the NHL turns a blind eye to the fights. If a player gets into a fight, they get penalised. If they go overboard like Bertuzzi then they get suspended and that means losing major salary bucks.

Banning fighting won't stop the fights from happening. The NHL suspended McSorley for a year, and did that stop Bertuzzi from doing what he did? No.

Anyways, the only way to ban players from fighting is to penalise them for fighting, and that already occurs.

And it's got nothing to do with a "culture of violence" unless you think that hard hits = violence. In which case the only way to get rid of this "culture" is to ban body checks.

Bertuzzi committed a despicable, cowardly act and he should be heavily penalised for what he did. But let's keep this in perspective.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• A talk radio host, who started as a sportscaster, said that "Bert" should be heavily fined, kept out as long as Moore has to stay out (and if it's permanent, so be it), and then serve whatever suspension is handed down.

All in addition to the results of any criminal prosecution.

I think this is about right.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X