Infanticide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infanticide

http://www.worthynews.com/zone.cgi?http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36763

MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH
    UK medical ethicist:
    Infanticide 'justifiable'
    Government adviser suggests acceptable to kill babies with 'defects' soon after birth

Posted: January 25, 2004
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

It's OK to kill babies after they are born if they turn out to have "defects," says one of the British government's leading advisers on genetics.

Provoking an uproar, Professor John Harris, a member of the British Medical Association's ethics committee and author of 15 books on the ethics of genetics, made the statement endorsing de facto infanticide during a recent debate over sex-selection, reports the London Telegraph.

Asked what moral status he accorded an embryo, Harris responded by endorsing infanticide in cases where a child has a genetic disorder that remained undetected during pregnancy and suggested there's no moral difference between aborting an unborn baby and killing an infant once it's born, said the report.

''It's not plausible to think that there is any moral change that occurs during the journey down the birth canal," he told the Telegraph.

Harris declined to say up until what age he believed infanticide should be permissible and later stood by his remarks, which he claimed had been elicited ''in response to goading'' from pro-life campaigners.

''People who think there is a difference between infanticide and late abortion have to ask the question: What has happened to the fetus in the time it takes to pass down the birth canal and into the world which changes its moral status? I don't think anything has happened in that time," he said, according to the paper.

''It is well-known that where a serious abnormality is not picked up – when you get a very seriously handicapped or indeed a very premature newborn which suffers brain damage – that what effectively happens is that steps are taken not to sustain it on life-support.

''There is a very widespread and accepted practice of infanticide in most countries. We ought to be much more upfront about the ethics of all of this and ask ourselves the serious question: What do we really think is different between newborns and late fetuses?

''There is no obvious reason why one should think differently, from an ethical point of view, about a fetus when it's outside the womb rather than when it's inside the womb.''

According to the Telegraph, Julia Millington, political director of the ProLife Party, called the admission ''absolutely horrifying,'' and added: ''Infanticide is murder and is against the law. It is frightening to think that university students are being educated by somebody who endorses the killing of newborn babies and equally worrying to discover that such a person is also a member of the ethics committee of the British Medical Association.''
    If this was already posted and discussed, I apologize.

All us lifers knew this would be the horrible next step. In Rome killing children was legal up to the age of 9. Maybe that'll be in our future if something isn't done to stop this legalized mass murder.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Truly an outrage; will it soon become acceptable to euthanize those over 70, since they are merely draining society of needed resources?

Comment

And the mentally ill. And those that carry genetic disease. And those with unpure traits. And those of "lesser ethnic groups".

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

This is extremely disturbing
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

But I do agree with some of this guy.

''People who think there is a difference between infanticide and late abortion have to ask the question: What has happened to the fetus in the time it takes to pass down the birth canal and into the world which changes its moral status? I don't think anything has happened in that time," he said, according to the paper.
          He is right, there isn't a moral difference. Which is why abortion is as wrong as infanticide.

Comment

Please do not confuse late abortion with abortion at all. When you destroy a young embryo, it's not like you destroy an organism capable of thinking and feeling.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Are you kidding me? It's nothing of the like. If you're going to go ahead and have the baby, ****ing have it. Don't kill it after the fact.
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Hmmm.... where's BK? I thought he'd be all over this thread by now. Maybe's he's too busy watching the hockey game.

jon.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Dunno about Ben, but speaking for myself I don't think there's much else for a pro-lifer to say. It's only one wacko from the UK, but what he says is indeed a logical extension of pro-choice rhetoric.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Dunno about Ben, but speaking for myself I don't think there's much else for a pro-lifer to say. It's only one wacko from the UK, but what he says is indeed a logical extension of pro-choice rhetoric.
                    Only in the same way that "every sperm is sacred" is the logical extension of anti-choice rhetoric.

jon.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I thought he'd be all over this thread by now.
                      What more can I contribute to what has already been said.

Kudos to Ozzy for posting and to all the other lifers.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Jon

Comment

Please do not confuse late abortion with abortion at all. When you destroy a young embryo,
                          So please define the difference. At what age is the child young, and at what age is she old?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Only in the same way that "every sperm is sacred" is the logical extension of anti-choice rhetoric.

jon.
                            No, that is the illogical extension. Just as the illogical extension for anti-life rhetoric is support for abortion/murder for people of all ages.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                              No, that is the illogical extension. Just as the illogical extension for anti-life rhetoric is support for abortion/murder for people of all ages.
                              It is actually not illogical. Utterly dumb and extremistic and loathable, I agree, but not illogical.

Comment

Working...
                              X