No announcement yet.

Life is meaningless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, life has meaning because of its origins, as a gift from God, returning blessings everyday. For without God, we would not have life, and without life, no joy.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

IMO, the meaning of life is to pass on our genes.

Comment

"Religion provides the salvation of our souls."

Philosophy proves the existence of souls. Without philosophy, religion would be passionless and arbitrary.
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          For me, life has meaning because of its origins, as a gift from God, returning blessings everyday. For without God, we would not have life, and without life, no joy.
          Freud said religion is the collective neuroses of mankind. And I find it hard to disagree with that.

I wish I had your faith, Ben. I was religious once. But once I studied philosphy in college, God began to seem like Santa Claus to me...

Any argument for the existence of God has at its foundation: faith. There is no logical argument for the existence of God. What I seek is a logical argument for having faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
            Religion provides the salvation of our souls.
            Hmm, religion provides the illusion of salvation which is a comforting thought, but absolute false.

You need to deal with the thruth, and the thruth is that there is no meaning(yet?).

IMO it can only have meaning if we would be able to live forever which is exactly what (all?) religions promise, be it in an other (physical or spiritual) form.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Life has no meaning, anymore than red has a meaning. That does not mean we can not enjoy red though.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Life isn't meaningless. I'm not sure wtf it is, but it isn't meaningless. I have a wife that is alive with meaning, and a faithful God that puts joy in my heart. On a sunny morning after a chilly night it seems that the meaning in life will overwhelm me.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Life isn't meaningless. I'm not sure wtf it is, but it isn't meaningless. I have a wife that is alive with meaning, and a faithful God that puts joy in my heart. On a sunny morning after a chilly night it seems that the meaning in life will overwhelm me.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                    I can say is that this is a fine belief...

BUT

I would respond and say that the human mind makes meaning- it does not get meaning from the outside world, which has none whatsoever.

People GIVE the world meaning-meaning they invent in their mind, just like people have given the color red meanings, even though "red" is a word for the sensual experience we derive from a certain frequency in the eletro-magnetic spectrum.

Comment

• "I can say is that this is a fine belief...

BUT

I would respond and say that the human mind makes meaning- it does not get meaning from the outside world, which has none whatsoever.

People GIVE the world meaning-meaning they invent in their mind, just like people have given the color red meanings, even though "red" is a word for the sensual experience we derive from a certain frequency in the eletro-magnetic spectrum."

Okally dokally..

Wait a sec. Diss was asking us if life has meaning, yes? Certainly the question was posed to us, so we may assume he asked if life has meaning to us, yes? So life has the meaning we assign it, which may depend on who we are, which to me depends on our relationship with God, the notion of which sends alot of people to whom life has no meaning into convultions, and in so doing inadvertantly creates a run-on sentence.

Comment

• What is meaning?
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

• "What is meaning?"

That which is meaningful?

Comment

• Some people may have meaningless lives.

It's up to the individual... if you think you're life is meaningless now, why not change it?

As opposed to sitting in the corner moaning and whinging.
                            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

• I hope my life isnt meaningless! that would be depressing!

Comment

• Wait a sec. Diss was asking us if life has meaning, yes? Certainly the question was posed to us, so we may assume he asked if life has meaning to us, yes? So life has the meaning we assign it, which may depend on who we are, which to me depends on our relationship with God, the notion of which sends alot of people to whom life has no meaning into convultions, and in so doing inadvertantly creates a run-on sentence.

Dissident did not ask "does your life have meaning"-there the answer can be yes or no. He asked "does LIFE have meaning"...that is a different question-it seeks some meaning seperate from any one life that applies universally (42). And the answer is that LIFE does not have meaning.

Now, as for your answer to Monoliths question:

That which is meaningful is something that has meaning-that is not the answer to what IS meaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X