Life is meaningless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What's the purpose of your lungs? In other words, why are they there?

Along the same vein, why are individual organisams are here?
    You'd die without lungs. And without you your lungs would have no purpose.

You'd die out without procreating, but without procreating you would still have purpose.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I see that you are a pessimist
      No. I believe you can help people. I find it conforting that there is no meaning to life or to the world. When I mean the grand scheme of things, I mean humanity will end, at some point. There are a finite number of resources in the universe. That ending cannot be changed. I am usually regarded as an optimist, because I look on the bright side of things. I find it conforting that our actions, which having consequences in the short term, do not in the long term.

Meaning is entirely a subjective interpretation though, while purpose is objective.
      How do you get that? What makes one objective and one subjective. Purpose is what something does, why it is there. Meaning is why does it have that purpose, what does it hope to achieve. That's a bad explanation, but basically what I mean. I have a purpose to do something, but I don't think life has a meaning. If you believe your meaning in life is to make life better for others, than that is your purpose, to me. Your meaning would still be nothing, because there is no underlying meaning in being alive. Since there is no underlying meaning in being alive, helping others who are alive is also meaningless.
      Smile
      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Edit -Forget that, I don't know where I was going with that.

Comment

Life has meaning only if you get up off your ass and make it so. That should ring true for those that believe in a god or those that do not. If a person can sit there and say their life has no meaning than it's only because they failed to give it a meaning.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Some of us get off our asses but still realise that there is no meaning in life. There is no reason to be here. IMHO, you cannot give meaning to something that has none. There is no reason why life exists, nor does it matter. Our lives are merely our lives, whatever we make of them. There is no meaning behind it.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
              Some of us get off our asses but still realise that there is no meaning in life. There is no reason to be here. IMHO, you cannot give meaning to something that has none. There is no reason why life exists, nor does it matter. Our lives are merely our lives, whatever we make of them. There is no meaning behind it.
              So those people who say there is meaning to their life are telling a lie? Or simply deluded? And if you think that, who are you to say their life has no meaning.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Life is meaningless...
                Great, so I'm free to give it the meaning I want.
                Isn't that wonderful?
                The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Re: Life is meaningless

Originally posted by Dissident
                  or is it?
                  Dissident, if you're too lazy to think through this question on your own and post your thoughts on it then you dont deserve to hear my thoughts on the topic. If the question has you stumped then at least admit it.

Eventually, if this thread is like most others in OT, it will decay into a shouting match between 2 or 3 people and most probably wind up discussing off-thread-topic. As a thread creator you have the responsibility to moderate the discussion to the degree that you are able to by continually posting in the thread to keep it on-topic.

Comment

From an individual point of view, the question is not interesting; but the role and place of life in cosmology is worth to be asked. I am under the impression that any answer we could find would be unpleasant.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I think Dissident is just feeling a little down, and so more inclined to be brusque. If you have thoughts, please post them.

Comment

Re: Re: Life is meaningless

Originally posted by bfg9000
                        Eventually, if this thread is like most others in OT, it will decay into a shouting match between 2 or 3 people and most probably wind up discussing off-thread-topic. As a thread creator you have the responsibility to moderate the discussion to the degree that you are able to by continually posting in the thread to keep it on-topic.
                        In order to push the jacking ahead, a general question to those that may be lurking in the thread but don't give a damn about the meaning of life.

Who is the reigning poly champing of post and run?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                          This thread is meaningless....

Life has no meaning or purpose, other than what you assign to it yourself.
                          Couldn't said it any better myself.
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Life is a fairly isolated anomaly of random organic compounds interacting with one another. It should be examined carefully to determine what resources can be extracted for our personal benefit.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I expected more no responses

Comment

I don't know if life has meaning. All I know is life. I do not know death. Perhaps there is something when we die. But nobody on EARTH knows... and that will remain true through all eternity.

It's absolutely stupid believe some other human being knows what happens when we die, because I can promise you, he doesn't. What makes this worse is that people are basing their faith on a two thousand year old book designed to keep order in Christian Europe.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X