Florida courts: "You gay people can't adopt children"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida courts: "You gay people can't adopt children"

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Four gay men lost a federal challenge Wednesday to the only blanket state law banning homosexuals from adopting children, a statute passed at the height of Anita Bryant's anti-homosexual campaign.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against the men, who are foster parents seeking to adopt children in their care despite the 1977 law.

"Obviously we're crushed," said Paul Cates with the American Civil Liberties Union's Lesbian and Gay Rights Project.

Florida is the only state in the nation with a complete ban on adoption by gays, whether married or single. The law linked to the movement led by Bryant has withstood several challenges in state court.

Florida argued the state has a right to legislate its "moral disapproval of homosexuality" and its belief that children need a married parent for healthy development.

"We exercise great caution when asked to take sides in an ongoing public policy debate," Judge Stanley Birch wrote in the unanimous decision by the three-judge panel. "Any argument that the Florida Legislature was misguided in its decision is one of legislative policy, not constitutional law."

Mathew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel, a conservative civil liberties legal group, hailed the decision. "In this age of judicial activism, it is refreshing to see a court assume its proper role and allow the people to set family policy," he said.

An after-hours call to the attorney who argued the state's case was not immediately returned.

The decision comes as states react to court rulings favoring gay marriage and a Supreme Court decision in June striking down laws criminalizing gay sex.

"We think the court is wrong in thinking that the Constitution lets the government assume that sexual orientation has anything to do with good parenting," the ACLU's Cates said.

The ACLU expects to take at least a week before deciding how to proceed. It could ask the full appeals court to consider the issue.

Edward Schiappa, a University of Minnesota law professor who follows gay rights issues, believes the case is destined for Supreme Court review next year. He believes the state will have a hard time defending the law there because of its inconsistent policy allowing gay foster parents while banning gay adoptive parents.

"This has become an extraordinarily hot political button," he said.

This is ridiculous and I certainly hope it goes to the supreme court and gets overturned.

Florida better ship all those single-parent kid off to the orphanage ASAP... for their "healthy development", of course.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Florida argued the state has a right to legislate its "moral disapproval of homosexuality" and its belief that children need a married parent for healthy development.
      The state does not have the right to discriminate against people... that's like saying... "the state has a right to legislate it's 'moral dissapproval of African Americans'".

Equality under law... what don't these gay hating bigotted ****s understand about this?
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

But if we let gay people adopt kids, those kids might get teased! We don't want those kids' feelings to get hurt! Quick, we'd better legislate so this doesn't happen!

Comment

Actually, it was the 11th Circuit, Federal courts. The law dates back to 1977, when Anita Bryant led her anti-gay crusade here, ****ing *****.

One wonders why, if Florida morally disapproves of homosexuality, that it allows gay people to be foster parents.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Bite my ass, Spinky.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Guy
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have already sworn to do violence to Spink, should we ever meet in person.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Florida courts: "You gay people can't adopt children"
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

che: aw be nice to him... I pity him. He's really scared. Scared of gays, number 1, but scared that his world is changed.... that his own bigotry is becoming less popular...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Playing devils advocate, is their any study on children raised by gay foster parents.

Are they more prone to being gay themselves, or being succeptable to crime or other things.

I have never heard of any.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

"You gay people can't adopt children"

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            Playing devils advocate, is their any study on children raised by gay foster parents.

Are they more prone to being gay themselves, or being succeptable to crime or other things.

I have never heard of any.
                            personally, if it meant more gay people, that might be good... less well-groomed pretty boys taking away the hot women.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                              Yup, and they turn out just as well as kids from any two parent family.

Comment

Working...
                              X