Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you believe homosexuality is a choice, unless you're bisexual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monk

I've thought along the same lines. The degree to which you can affect your sexuality could provide for an interesting discussion, but it doesn't have much relevance in politics.
    Are you kidding me?? Gay activists usually argue for basic rights based on the premise that our sexual orientation is not a choice.

But I sometimes wonder if it would be a choice (hypothetically let's say), why should that weaken our advocacy for equal citizenship?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

Are you kidding me?? Gay activists usually argue for basic rights based on the premise that our sexual orientation is not a choice.

But I sometimes wonder if it would be a choice (hypothetically let's say), why should that weaken our advocacy for equal citizenship?
      Oh, I failed to make myself clear. Naturally, what I meant was that the question of whether it's a choice or not SHOULDN'T play a part in politics. Just like what you're saying.

Comment

• Of course it's a choice. Just like I had a choice to grow hands and feet.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• But you had a CHOICE whether or not to use those hands and feet.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• What about all those heteros who turn funny in prison? Is that a choice?
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
              I fail to see why I should abstain- I'm not harming anyone, and certainly not myself. But feel free to paint us all with the broad brushstokes of your prejudice.
              tut tut. Now who is being prejudiced?

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk

Oh, I failed to make myself clear. Naturally, what I meant was that the question of whether it's a choice or not SHOULDN'T play a part in politics. Just like what you're saying.
                Ok -- now we're both on the same level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                  What about all those heteros who turn funny in prison? Is that a choice?
                  Maybe those "heteros" were actually closeted themselves?

Comment

If it's a choice, it'd fine to discriminate on this.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• So then we can discriminate any other people that are based on choices that do no harm to individuals -- such as religion.

Comment

• MrFun:

UR:

I choose to be me, as part of my identity, should I be discriminated against because any of those choices?
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• I am going to wait for someone to explain to me, how you can justify imposing second-class citizenship on a group of people who make a choice of of any kind, that involves no harm to anyone.

Comment

I am going to wait for someone to explain to me, how you can justify imposing second-class citizenship on a group of people who make a choice of of any kind, that involves no harm to anyone.
                            One word, culture. Thats the only reason you're treated as a second class citizen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
                              Another bite, hooray! Why would bisexuals view their orientation as a matter of choice?
                              I'm not arguing Asher's case, here - I was just saying that it makes more sense if you look at it from that direction. Obviously his goal is not to prove that they are all bisexuals - that would be pointless - but rather to try and show they have no logical basis for their claims.

Comment

So then we can discriminate any other people that are based on choices that do no harm to individuals -- such as religion.
                                You will need to first prove that religion does not and did not harm others -- or rather, humanity as a whole.

But I digress. The point here is as long as you can make a conscious choice on an issue, it is a valid point of selection.

Say some restaurants do not accept clients who don't follow certain dress codes. You can certainly argue that your choice of not following these codes do not harm others, but that's besides the point.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X