Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al Franken to host new show that will be the anchor for new liberal radio network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Franken to host new show that will be the anchor for new liberal radio network

NEW YORK (AP) -- They haven't got a name or a launch date yet, but the entrepreneurs who dream of launching a liberal radio network have just landed themselves a lead man: Comedian and best-selling author Al Franken.

Progress Media planned to announce Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with Franken to host a live, three-hour daily broadcast that would form the anchor of the programming schedule, according to people familiar with the matter.

In an interview, Franken said the format of the show was still evolving, but he said he was certain that it wouldn't be akin to that used by his rival Rush Limbaugh, which Franken described as "non-guested confrontation."

"He has no one on the show but it's confrontation," Franken said. "His show is just him railing for three hours."

Franken said he planned to use a mix of interviews, calls from listeners and scripted comedy. He said he planned to have a co-host with long experience in radio, but he said that role had not been finalized.

Franken had long been rumored to be interested in a deal with Progress Media, the startup company that is assembling radio stations and talent for a radio network to challenge conservative talk show powerhouses like Limbaugh.

But Franken had been holding off in recent months, partly to promote his hot-selling book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," and partly because he had reservations about the previous owners of the venture.

"Things got more serious in terms of putting together stations and money to make this possible" with the change in ownership, Franken said.

Last November the company was bought by an investment group led by Mark Walsh, a former America Online executive and adviser to the Democratic National Committee, from the venture capitalists Sheldon and Anita Drobny.

Walsh, who serves as CEO of Progress Media, also said the new network had reached its first major distribution agreement, with the Chicago AM station WNTD. He said he expects to announce at least three other distribution deals in the coming weeks.

Walsh acknowledged that much work remains to be done on the network before it becomes a viable business, including lining up technical arrangements and setting up offices and studios.

He said that about 65 percent of the network's programming has been decided, but he declined to elaborate beyond disclosing another new show to be co-hosted by the environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. called "Champions of Justice."

The network also has yet to decide on a name. Last month the company indicated it would call the radio network Central Air, but Walsh said Tuesday the company was no longer certain it would be using that name.

Putting Franken in the midday time slot of noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time is a direct challenge to Limbaugh, whose hugely successful show occupies the same time slot.

Franken, whose earlier book was called "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot," said he plans to call up his nemesis for advice on his own show since Limbaugh has often said he wonders why new radio hosts don't seek out his counsel.

"I'll ask him advice: how he approaches a show, how he frames an issue. If it doesn't happen it will be -- very understandably -- because he won't take my call," Franken said.

Franken said his contract with Progress Media would last just one year, after which time both sides would reassess how things were going. He also said he very much wanted to do the show during a presidential election year.

"I'm interested in doing what I can to affect this election," Franken said. "I've thinking about what's the best use of my energies -- I hope this is it."

It's about time. I have a friend who could easily co-host with Franken.

Down with Rush! Up with Al!
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Regardless of politics, Al is far more entertaining and just flat-out funny than Rush is. So why not?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I can't stand Franken, and I can't stand Limbaugh.

Down with morons who think too highly of themselves and their opinions, and ramble incessantly about them.

I've seen lots of stuff (and lots of appearances on late night shows with Franken), and he's never made me laugh. Somebody please tell me something funny this man has done in his lifetime.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Down with morons who think too highly of themselves and their opinions, and ramble incessantly about them.

KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

One of the mos striking changes ever....

From Al Franken hosting a new radio show to Mac vs. PC all over again
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Somebody please tell me something funny this man has done in his lifetime.
            I'm sorry, every time I see Stuart on SNL I laugh for hours...

...but maybe I'm just easy to please...
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I thought that sketch was lame.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm sorry, every time I see Stuart on SNL I laugh for hours...

Agreed. The ones with Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley are particularly hilarious.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Franken, Moore, et al. are definitely funny at times ('course they're sometimes lame as well, but most comedians are like that). I dare you to say that Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpiece of comedy.

But the best part about them is that they put the conservative hate phenomenon (Fox News, Rush, etc.) in perspective by creating a liberal counterpart. They aren't journalists concerned with things like things like accuracy, but are loud, obnoxious partisan propagandists. After all, what kind of journalist is O'Reilly if he's squaring off with a comedian?
                  (blatanly ripping off a New Republic editorial )
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I would appreciate it if you leave me out of your trolls.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

wannabes

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        I would appreciate it if you leave me out of your trolls.
                        You have the spine of a jellyfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                          I dare you to say that Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpiece of comedy.
                          Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpeice of comedy. It's okay. Funniest scenes were where John Candy is insulting Canada at a hockey game, and nobody cares 'till he insults Canadian beer. Also that dude as the Mounty, who name escapes me at the moment. But otherwise it wasn't that good.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I liked it when the get pulled over by Dan Akroid, and their in the truck with "Canada Sucks" graffiti and the cop makes them write it in French too

Or, when the mounty (also can't remember his name, I can see his face though) tells them they took their friend to the Capital, and JC says "Ah, Toronto"
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I liked it when the get pulled over by Dan Akroid, and their in the truck with "Canada Sucks" graffiti and the cop makes them write it in French too

Very Canadian way of doing things.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X