Top Ten World Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Even the Indians, who for reasons of their own go their own way, maintian links with the Imperial power and wouldn't trade English or cricket for anything. They are misguided in that cricket bit, but nobody's perfect.
    Don't knock Indian cricket right now. They just came yay close to knocking over the last few Australian wickets and taking the series.

Comment

Flambe from the French is a matter of course.
      Seriously, you would probably be insulting many people in the world if you told them "see, the British brought you railroads, textile mills, postal services, and organized public works". They'd rather have done it themselves.

And back on topic: I think France's influence is greater than Britain, because they are bossing the EU, and because they are not overshadowed by the US.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• I said nothing about what the British brought them. I simply mentioned that Britain had many, willing, members of her Empire. Why do you suppose that was?

Which is the world's largest liberal democracy? And why do you think they are the way they are?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As your empire of fear crumbled around you,
          Speaking of which....Hasn't anyone noticed the trend for the tourch of the "Empire of Fear"?

London ----> Berlin ----> Moscow ----> Washington DC

So where will it land next?

London---->Berlin
          577 (580)

Berlin----->Moscow
          1006 (1000)

Moscow------>Washington
          4872 (4870)

I see something.....x80, x00, x70...the next one will be x00 then.
          Now lets look at this....5xx, 10xx, and then 48xx. 5xx*2=10xx, and 10*4.8=48xx....
          So we just multiply 48xx by 7.6 and we get 365xx (rounded).
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Has no one mentioned Brazil yet?

Its economy is the size of Canada (Purchasing Power Adjusted, which I think is the fair way to compare GDP) their population is large and peacefull, their goverment stable their military adiquite. They exert a great deal of influence over their Continent. (Also their weomen are HOT!!)

Its a Regional Power, on the same line of thought. Nigeria in East Africa, South Africa in Southern Africa, Saudi Arabia/Egypt in the Arab world (and globaly if you consider Oil). The level of influence a county has is determined a great deal by who their neibors are. Canada would be a much more influential Country if it was not right next to the US. Regional Powers can exert influence over their region which is equal to if not greater then even the top global superpower can exert. And because a Global Power needs regional powers to be friendly with them, the Global power can often not use the full measure of their power in oposition to a regional power in that lesser powers sphere of influence lest they risk offending it.

My list goes as follows - Note that I put a high premium on countries that routinly TELL others what to do and then back it up, many nations tend to stick to themselves and dont influence others to the extent they could if they were as bossy as other countries. Conversly how much the rest of the world CARES what another Country thinks has a great deal to do with who is influential, this effect is very pronouced when if comes to France, some how the french have tricked much of the non english speaking world into thinking they are influential, and low and behond this self fuffiling proficy dose infact make France influential because France acts influential and everyone else just eat it up. Ironicaly the more we complain about France the more influential we make it.

1. USA (enough said)
            2. UK (long historic influce and recent willingness to use its power in partnership with US, Perm Security Council)
            3. France (long historic influence and willingness to use its power in oposition to the US, Perm Security Council)
            4. Russia (lingering influence from USSR days, significant military power, Perm Security Council)
            5. Japan (second largest Economy on Earth, major cultural influence on Asia, lingering effects of WW2 and resent Economic stagnation reduce their influence)
            6. China (Rapidly growing Economy, Huge Potential means they are being treated as more powerfull then they ACTUALY are because we know they soon WILL be)
            7. Germany (strong Economy, significant EU influence moderated by the fact that the EU dosent have much influence or military strength, also no Security Council)

8-10 NONE, their are only 7 Global super Powers in my opinon so you cant have a top 10. A list of 10 would simply be an atempt to deside what the top 3 Regional Powers are and stick them at the bottom of the list.

Regional Powers - In no particular order as each is the top dog only in its local area.

Brazil, Nigeria, South Africa, Mexico, Iran, India, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey
            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• I agree re Brazil. They will surprise people, I think.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Aren't they supposedly controlled by the Illuminati?
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• c) You bring up a point I've brought up before. Why should we give them cash if they're going to treat us like ****? No reason I can see. **** 'em.
                  Agreed. I'm glad we did not send troops to Iraq. I just disagree with how Chretien handled the whole situation.

As for NYE, I should link to that in my sig. After all I used to have a british calvary avatar.

One King, One Flag, One Empire.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Don't forget the Fleet, that bit had an important part in Canadian history. It's actually the reason why we paid for RN dreadnaughts, and did not construct our own navy. That slogan was not just a jingo.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      GROSS PRODUCT IN YEAR 2001
                      (billions of dollars)
                      1 United States $10,171
                      2 Japan 4,245
                      3 Germany 1,874
                      4 United Kingdom 1,406
                      CALIFORNIA 1,392
                      5 France 1,303
                      6 China 1,159
                      7 Italy 1,091
                      8 Canada 677
                      9 Mexico 618
                      10 Spain 577
                      We are number ten!!!
                      "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                      "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

• About China, it is overestimated or not depending what are you exactly measuring. The best definition for China is "a giant with mud's feet". Their regime and the tight control it had over the country allows their rulers to destinate enormous parts of their GDP to "great projects" like the spatial programme or the nuclear programme while their people are starving. So, when you scratch China's surface it is not as much as it seems.
                        "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                        "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

• By the way, Why is everyone forgetting Switzerland? A very strong economy, top R+D and an army of 500,000 people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            And back on topic: I think France's influence is greater than Britain, because they are bossing the EU, and because they are not overshadowed by the US.
                            Wrong! They are destroying the EU. Lot of former pro EU people (and European governments) changed their mind after seeing how France pretend to convert the EU in their own empire.

Comment

• oliver, don't take boris seriously, you know he's wrong, i know he's wrong, everybody else knows he's wrong, so there's no need to respond to the rubbish he writes
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• 1914:

Germany
                                USA
                                UK
                                France
                                Japan
                                Austria
                                Russia
                                Turkey
                                Argentina

Comment