RingWraiths vs. Dementors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, I'd completely forgotten the stuff Gandalf did in The Hobbit

-Organized the expedition to Erebor (so Smaug the Great Drake would be defeated, and trump card of Sauron would be taken away)
    - Used Chain Lightening and taken out a few dozen Goblins
    - Layed the smackdown on the Necromancer of Dol Goldur, rescued Throrin Oakenshield.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Dumbledore is old after, what? a century or 2?

At least 2, but more like 7 . Remember him and Nicholas Flamel invented the Sorcerers' Stone.

Being the best Wizard in the world does no make him a demi-god anymore than being the bex boxer in the world for a while made Mike Tyson a demi-God.

The best boxer cannot manipulate physics.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

At least 2, but more like 7 . Remember him and Nicholas Flamel invented the Sorcerers' Stone.
        I seem to recall that Dumbledore is only 150ish, I read it in Rowling interview.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

At least 2 (centuries,) but more like 7 . Remember him and Nicholas Flamel invented the Sorcerers' Stone.
          Small potatoes when you consider Gandalf's been walking Middle Earth for 10 Millenia.

Dumbledore's been around for a fraction of the time that Gandalf has. Period.

Comment

So you are penalizing Dumbledore for being born later?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I seem to recall that Dumbledore is only 150ish, I read it in Rowling interview.

Ah, that's right. Dumbledore only worked with Flamel on alchemy. Flamel was 700 years old. On that subject, Dumbledore is also famous for defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945 (as stated in TSS). Doesn't Grindelwald sound... German? Could it be that Dumbledore helped win World War 2?

Comment

Ah, that's right. Dumbledore only worked with Flamel on alchemy. Flamel was 700 years old. On that subject, Dumbledore is also famous for defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945 (as stated in TSS). Doesn't Grindelwald sound... German? Could it be that Dumbledore helped win World War 2?
                Pure speculation. Besides, while Hitler sought out to wipe out only certain groups, Sauron's stated goal was wipeing out all men. I wonder why the Haradrim and the Easterlings signed on...

Comment

Pure speculation.

Perhaps, but the inference definately could be drawn. German sounding dark wizard, lost in 1945. It seems Rowling wants us to put 2 and 2 together.

Besides, while Hitler sought out to wipe out only certain groups, Sauron's stated goal was wipeing out all men.

Grindelwald isn't Hitler. While Voldemort wants to kill all the mudbloods, it isn't inconcievable that a prior dark wizard wanted to eliminate all Muggles, seeing as how magic kind had been treated throughout the ages.

Comment

Good Lord we're a bunch of geeks.

Comment

You started it .

Comment

Hey now, you started the one-uppin' with that Dumbledore comment.

Incidently....Albus Dumbledore= "White Bumblebee" in Old English.

And a Stormcrow always beats a fuzzy bug.

Comment

Only if the Stormcrow can catch the Bumblebee .

Comment

Crows' eat bugs!

Comment

So you are penalizing Dumbledore for being born later?
                              Not penalizing, so much as, pointing out that Gandalf is vastly more experienced.

Comment

Sauron's stated goal was wipeing out all men. I wonder why the Haradrim and the Easterlings signed on...

Sauron didn't want to destroy the race of men; that was just an invention of Peter Jackson's for the movie. Sauron wanted to rule Middle Earth, so why would he want to kill off all his potential subjects? He justed wanted to wipe out the men who posed a threat to him; the Haradrim and Easterlings would most likely have been spared.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X