Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you know about the World Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on normal world today: 12/20.... damn all those names

on nomral history: 12/20 again

on the normal science and technology quiz: 19/20!!!

this one got me:
    5 - Of the following, who did NOT take part in the development of the first steam engines? - Wrong
    James Watt
    Thomas Newcomen
    Thomas Savery
    James Hargreaves
    all i knew was james watt had somethn to do with it
    the correct naswer is hte last one, james hargreaves
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      Louisianna Purchase?
      yeah, the louisiana purchase is the largest land purchase by the US ever... woohoo! whata bargin too Thank you Mr. Bonaparte!
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

And it isn't. Scandinavia represents a linguistic group which excludes Finnish (which isn't even a Germanic language).
        this is what i learned as well. It interesting that linguists (last i read) have no idea where finnish came from, its just some random language, where most other languages (with some notable exceptions, like one from northern spain i believe) can be traced back to some point. I find that very interesting. i mean, you would think its a mixture of like slovic and scandinavian or somethn, but its not. Ive never actaully heard finnish tho, i bet it sounds pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerman
          this is what i learned as well. It interesting that linguists (last i read) have no idea where finnish came from, its just some random language, where most other languages (with some notable exceptions, like one from northern spain i believe)
          That would be Basque, I do believe.
          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Whoops, I should correct myself.

The people are Basque; the language they speak is Euskara.

Read about them crazy Basques hee-yah:

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

Magyar isn't Indo-European either. I wonder to which degree it's related to Finnish?

Comment

cool

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                  Magyar isn't Indo-European either. I wonder to which degree it's related to Finnish?
                  From Wikipedia (how much you want to trust it is up to you):

The other non-Indo-European languages in Europe, Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, and Turkish, were all brought in by invaders from Asia during recorded history. The Indo-European languages were introduced in the same way a few millennia earlier. When could the Basques have arrived?

The Finno Ugric languages are a subfamily of the Uralic languages. It consist of several languages, notably Finnish, Hungarian and Estonian. Contrary to most of the languages spoken in Europe, the Finno-Ugric languages are not part of the Indo-European family of languages.

The ancestor of the modern Finno-Ugric languages, the so-called Proto Finno-Ugric was spoken about 5000 years ago on the western side of the Ural mountains. There is evidence that before the arrival of Slavonic tribes to their present territory in Russia, a sprinkling of Finno-Ugrians inhabited the whole territory from the Urals to the Baltic Sea.

Interesting, if accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                    As Finnish is grotesque, Finland couldn't possibly be Scandinavian.

Hey At least we dont speak with hot potatoes in our mouths!
                    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Cinch:
                      Kramer:
                      When reading all this you must bear in mind that finnish was the very first language ever spoken by man and that we used to rule the world thru energy grid lines that can still be found in Glastonbury and near the stonehenge for example. Or so I'm told

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                        Hey At least we dont speak with hot potatoes in our mouths!
                        Danskjävlar! That's why Scandinavia should be limited to Sweden and Norway
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

oh, cool. will you use this 'energy grid' once more when you again hold the reigns of world domination? i hope so, sounds neat

Comment

Kramer:
                            We havent decided yet. I must consult my fellow finns about that.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Hey cinch, thanks for the lookup. That's cool.

Now, Comrade Ingrid,

I don't want you to mistakenly think that you somehow hit a nerve when you demanded the exclusion of Denmark from Scandinavia. But just you wait until the 2004 European Championships, you good-for-nothing blue and yellow social democratic Elk-loving, tobacco chewing Systembolaget customer.

As I'm concerned he might carry a knife, I won't throw any stereotypes at Laurentius for the potato thing.

Comment

Its not my fault you language sounds like that.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                                X