Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

I can't the >cough< cat.... under dog >cough< to work for me though.

Comment

Iron Blitz or just vanilla? Iron Blitz is the only way to go...
        though beware, it is as slow as fish.

And do you have a cold?
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

How could you possibly have taken on the US when it has a 2-1 production advantage over Japan (or something like that, I haven't played the game in a while), and has no real vulnerabilities?

If Japan committs significant resources in attacking the US, not only can the US easily defend itself given its IC superiority, it can help with taking out Germany while Japan wouldn't be able to do much in putting pressure on the Soviets.

The best Japanese policy IMO is to ignore the US and take over Asia - and prevent Russia from deploying everything in the West.
          Well let me tell you. It is possible. I was his victum. Seems that I really shouldn't have lowered my force level so much in trying to shore up against that feigned Asian push. Trust me though...he won't catch me twice with that trick!
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
            Germany can *rape* England for income on the first turn
            Not really, because Germany don't have enough units in Africa and Asia and can't get any to the right places. Besides, if he moves his units away from Europe, Russia would be grinning.

Originally posted by Velociryx
            and Japan can explode through Asia like nobody's business
            Yeah well, Japan can either decide to buy land units to go after Asia, in which case the US is going to come in and sink the IJN. Or he can beef up the IJN but lacks enough ground units.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

:: shrug:: a matter of opinion, I guess, UR....It's not that difficult to knock 7 IPC's off of the English income on turn one, and another 3 from Russia....Japan can easily take 6 from Asia on the first turn, and there goes the vast bulk of the allied monitary advantage right there.

-=Vel=-
              Last edited by Velociryx; November 3, 2003, 09:47.
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

And Ramo, I agree completely with your assessment. At game start the US is in NO shape to tangle directly with the Japanese navy and is at least three turns (if the US player focuses all efforts on Japan) from posing a credible threat. Those first three turns can be spent focusing on Asia to devastating effect.

-=Vel=-
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not really, because Germany don't have enough units in Africa and Asia and can't get any to the right places. Besides, if he moves his units away from Europe, Russia would be grinning.

Yeah well, Japan can either decide to buy land units to go after Asia, in which case the US is going to come in and sink the IJN. Or he can beef up the IJN but lacks enough ground units.
                  Japan is in the best position. I love them because they are so flexible. While it is true the U.S. can threaten the Japanese navy they are 3 turns away from that as Vel said. Assuming you wipe out the Pearl Harbour fleet which everyone should do. That just leaves a battleship and a transport in San Diego (western us coast). Sometimes if you lose too much taking Pearl Harbour, the U.S. may try to bring a couple of fighters and a bomber and try to wipe your navy out with that battleship and transport. But that is highly doubtful. next turn you can take that batttleship out if you wish. And this forces the U.S. to destroy your navy with aircraft before they can build any navy of their own. This buys you a lot of time.

In the mean time you concentrate on Asia, but spend a little bit rebuilding your navy so you're not too defenseless. Although if I suspect the U.S. isn't going to concentrate on me and instead will concentrate on germany- then I won't rebuild my navy. I just go all out on Asia. My asian strategy is flexible. It depends on if anyone builds an industrial complex. Sometimes the U.S. will by one for china, or U.K. build one in India. If so, then I take that first thing. Even if it leaves my Manchuria, or eastern china coast territory a bit open.

Now german strategy. I often take the 2 infantry in Italy and use them to attack Egypt along with the libyan forces. Although these troops are Italian and sometimes they struggle with actual combat . This is a risky battle with no air support. You should win, but you may lose 2 infantry. I try not to lose more than one. this gives you some dominance in Africa for a while. Of course you blitzkreig to take the other empty territory- that should go without saying.

My eastern European strategy depends on what Russia does on their first turn. If Russia doesn't get to attack (most games I play don't go by these rules- though I should). Well that's a toughie. If they are allowed a non-combat move they will reinforce Karelia- making that difficult to take.

I try to wipe out all U.K. naval forces as well. Often in the south I only take one battleship against one battleship. I know- the battleship is almost always a total loss. But I prefer to play offense than defense. Taking out the U.K. navy and occupying their seas forces them to destroy your navy with their airforce before they can build naval units.

Comment

dp

Comment

Its true that the Allies have an advantage overall- that is why we 'bid' for who played the Axis team in our online games. Each player would make a bid in units, money, or factories, and whoever's bid was lower would play as the Axis, but with the extra resources applied.

Comment

Sounds like we have pretty similar Axis openers, Diss!

Most of the games I've played in have precluded a first turn Russian attack, which completely changes the character of those opening turns, and invariably, the Russian player will non-com all but a token force (usually 1 infantry) to Karelia....of course, nothing pleases me more than to see the 1st turn Rus player attempt to hold both Karelia and (from memory, so I might not have the name right) Caucus. They simply don't have the goods to do both, and if they try, that's generally a quick Russian death.

If the Rus player is creative and husbands his eastern force, he *can* make life interesting for the Japanese player, but most players don't in my experience....they'll either throw everything they can into one big push to stall the Japs, or make a wholesale retreat. Neither one is a good option, IMO....much better ways to make use of those forces!

-=Vel=-

Comment

I don't always attack the US fleet as Japan. In my bad rolling experience I usually lose it all in the US counterattack. They can replace their fleet I can't. I'd probably hit the fleet of a good aggressive US player though because I don't want to have to worry about that fleet.

Our games were often Axis wins because we played Russia restricted, but also played with different blitz rules. You could blitz unused tanks through conquered territory.

Example: Russia leaves 1 guy in Caucus has 2 guys in Moscow. Everybody else in Karelia. As Germany you attack Caucus with your infantry from the Ukraine and the tanks from East Europe. After you win you use your 2 tanks from Ukraine and some planes and take Moscow.

It really helped spread Russia out and made the game more even.
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I'm down to play ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, ANY SIDE, against ANYONE.

And Ramo,

The Allies are way too powerful even when Russia can't attack first turn.

Unless Germany is extremely agressive and lucky, the Axis with lose.
                            Well, then, let's play us a little one vs. one. You're the Allies, I'm the Axis, with Russia Restricted. Up for it?
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

David - I'm game if he doesn't respond. I think Dogs is still on this computer

Comment

I'm up for it - just not tonight. I'm off for an evening of drinkin' and carousin'
                                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X