Axis&Allies board game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axis&Allies board game

Any players out there? I love the game, except it lacks some variation and the Allies are definetly overpowered per the 2.0 rules. My favourite country to play would be UK, then Japan, then Germany, then USSR...US blows if you ask me.

Balancing rules (common tournament):
    Either: Russia may not attack at all first turn.
    Or: Both players bid x IPCs to play the Allies; whomever bids the most get to play the Allies, the other get to place out that worth of IPCs however he wants to (this number lies around 20-22).
    Or both, bids creep quite a bit lower then.

My own favourtie strategies are:
    USSR; heavy infantry, retreat gradually and counterattack heavily ones Allies threaten Germany.
    Germany: Go for Africa (build 1 more transport) while massing, start out with loads of men.
    UK; Go factory in India, build fighters and tanks.
    Japan; start out heavy transporter and men, build factories on 4th-6th turn and start owning Asia, take Australia and all that ****. Dont go Peral Harbor.
    USA: Mass transports in atlantic and reclaim africa as well as threatening germany.
    Just walk away.

I only have the original rules but my strats:

Russia: basicly do nothing more then defend, build infantry.

Germany: Clear the seas around britain and build up tanks for the assault on Russia.

Japan: Take over east Asia in the first 2 rounds, build factory's and join Germany in the fight for Russia.

England: Basicly all they can do is build airforce and make strategic bombing raids into Germany.

US: Land in Africa and move east from there.

Comment

Re: Axis&Allies board game

Originally posted by Hippi
      Any players out there? I love the game, except it lacks some USSR; heavy infantry, retreat gradually and counterattack heavily ones Allies threaten Germany.
      Where on earth did you get the idea for that strategy?

Comment

I play it occasionally

Jo Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My son and I play occasionally. IMO if Germany doesn't have success with an initial overwhelming attack then they are doomed.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I am a fanatic of this game, and will win with any country

Actually myself, DanS and DavidFloyd play an internet rip called "DogsofWar" which for all purpose is the same game. We should set one up!

Comment

I always loved this game. However playing online kind of turned it into a super repetitive optimization exercise. The shuck and infantry push mechanic rule supreme. Plus after online you can't really play full out with offline ppl because the skill level is too different.

It is a classic though. A long time ago, I was so into it I painted my own larger playing custom map and made a bunch of new rules and units. That was a lot of fun.

Even without all that, just a few changes could really shake it up. Lessening the dominance of infantry, obstructing the shuck, and making a little more room for error on G1 could really open it up.
              Good = Love, Love = Good
              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                I only have the original rules but my strats:

Russia: basicly do nothing more then defend, build infantry.

Germany: Clear the seas around britain and build up tanks for the assault on Russia.

Japan: Take over east Asia in the first 2 rounds, build factory's and join Germany in the fight for Russia.

England: Basicly all they can do is build airforce and make strategic bombing raids into Germany.

US: Land in Africa and move east from there.
                Thats pretty much how I play it. I feel the game is well balanced. I have seen every country have a smashing success.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Russia: go on the offensive and take 2-3 of Germany's territories on my first turn, buy Infantry for fodder and kill them with my Fighters.

Comment

If I have sturdy allies in UK and USA, I like playing a hyper offensive Russia....(even better if I'm just playing ALL the allies)

With the Axis, I much prefer Japan over Germany (whose strategy is almost entirely determined by what the allies do...too much of a straight jacket for my tastes)....contrast that with Japan tho, who has a TOTALLY wide-open array of choices...good stuff!

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                      I am a fanatic of this game, and will win with any country

Actually myself, DanS and DavidFloyd play an internet rip called "DogsofWar" which for all purpose is the same game. We should set one up!
                      I have played A&A Iron Blitz online before, it's such a simple PC game it's great for a beer and pretzels night. I will have to see if I can find my old cd again or just download a copy to play.
                      I spent many a night playing the boardgame version in college. The group I played with were all the local DJs in town, so we would get together after gigs at 3am sunday morning and start a game all the way through monday morning.

Comment

I'd be all for setting up an A&A group at Apoly.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                          Russia: go on the offensive and take 2-3 of Germany's territories on my first turn, buy Infantry for fodder and kill them with my Fighters.
                          I won't do that, just take over the regions one by one. That way any German counterattacks will be met by stiff resistance, and it can't very well defend on two fronts.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think an aggressive opening Russia move really breaks up germany.

I love the game (own it, and used to be able to set up the board from memory), but I hated the fact that fine startegy went down the tubes once the dies roled. Which is why I like less random war games. I can;t stand a great plan outdone by constantly rolling ones!
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I play it nearly every day!I can set up the board by heart and prefer Axis to Allies. I would definantly support making an A&A Apolyton group.
                              "To watch your eniemies die in glorious color and sourround sound is surely one of the greatest advantages of technology." - Eoin Colfer
                              "You get more flies with a dead body than with honey." - Joshua Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X