Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ten Commandments - How Are We Doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paiktis22
    nato,
    I said Christianity's core meaning.
    Not to be rude, but thats a pretty weak response to my post. I guess its sufficient for hand waiving away problems and glossing over issues.

You'd have to define "core meaning" which would probably be pretty hard. Then you'd have to compare it to the "core meaning" of all the other religions.

Learn to read your own language.
    Yawn. If you're not interested in the topic, fine. But insults aren't a substitute for actual points.

On the other hand if you wanted to avoid the points, you might be reduced to insults.
    Good = Love, Love = Good
    Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

I'll ask again.

What does #2 mean?

And #9- the lust thing I always thought christians considered everyone your neighbor. So when you lust after Michael Douglas' wife you are breaking #9.

Comment

nato,
        dude you suck.
        i don't have the appetite for your stupid games.
        just one last chance at enlightment: core meaning = love.

Comment

"dude you suck"?

"your stupid games"?

I'm sorry. If thats what you consider a reply, you are simply not at my level on the issues or in maturity.

And thats it for me on this one. Which is fine since the threads more about who killed who and all.

Good luck with the love thing, I think it needs some work.
          Good = Love, Love = Good
          Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Commandment 1: Love your God with all your heart, will all your soul, with all your mind.

Commandment 2: Love thy neighbour as thyself.

I think #2 covers slavery, molestation and assault. Not swearing by God, and keeping Sunday holy are in there because they are religious rules, not judicial rules. Envy is in there because everyone overlooks it.
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
              In all seriousness Christianity's core teachings are the most humane in history and a clear compass for peace in the world IMO.
              Like love your neighboor like yourself. Or do not kill, don't lie etc. In its core, Christianity is the most humane religious belief, nevermind what poeple or nations have made of it.
              Buddhism is such an evil religion. They once tried to invade the middle east to recapture what they consider the holy city of Jerusalem Evil communists
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Well maybe Wombat. If you interpret it that way, it does sound a lot better, and those are good points.

Not to be argumentative, but I think thats a generous interpretation. It bothers to be specific about odd things, like Sundays and oxen, but it leaves big issues like rape, enslavement, moletstation, etc. to be inferred. Even if you think those things are really inferred (even though other parts of the Bible are ok with slavery at least), its odd priorities.

And its ashame that loving god is number one on his agenda. I guess hes more of an organic government than a mechanistic one.

Does the actual word "Love" appears in any of them?

I'm sorry to go on about it. I guess its an important topic to me because here in the US so many people want to post them in public places, like schools.
                Good = Love, Love = Good
                Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

And #9- the lust thing I always thought christians considered everyone your neighbor. So when you lust after Michael Douglas' wife you are breaking #9.
                  Yep. That's why we also need some of the context to understand how the Ten Commandments apply to our lives.

As for number 2: What is an idol? An idol can simply be anything that we trust in more than God. You can make an idol out of anything. Canada worships an idol of paper, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

nato:

IW is just quoting Jesus' counter-argument to the question of which is the most important commandment, of which the second is to love your neighbour as yourself.

If Jesus considers this the best interpretation of the Law and the Prophets of the OT, I'm inclined to go along with him.

And its a shame that loving god is number one on his agenda. I guess hes more of an organic government than a mechanistic one.
                  Why is it a shame? He clearly loves us and asks us to love him. If we do this, many other things will fall into place.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                  X