Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ten Commandments - How Are We Doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Commandments - How Are We Doing?

Inspired by Veyasen's "Does God Hate Me" thread, I thought I'd check in and see how well Apolyton's doing with God's Law. Me, I've made it to the ripe old age of 40 managing to keep only numbers 2, 6, and 9 (and maybe 1; technically, I haven't put any other gods before God, but it's not like I pay a lot of attention to Him, either). How 'bout you?

Oh, and I know the Commandments vary from text to text; I'm using the King James Bible here, because that's what God gave Charlton Heston.
    I am the LORD thy God...thou shalt have none other gods before me.
    8.72%
    Thou shalt not make thee any graven image...thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them
    11.34%
    Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain
    2.33%
    Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it
    1.16%
    Honour thy father and thy mother
    9.88%
    Thou shalt not kill
    15.99%
    Neither shalt thou commit adultery
    14.83%
    Neither shalt thou steal
    7.56%
    Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour
    12.21%
    Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's
    7.56%
    For I am the LORD thy God; come, tally me banana
    8.43%
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; November 1, 2003, 01:43.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

I never killed, never commited adultery, never stole (well, I have "extensively borrowed" but there was no stealing intent), never bore false witness as far as I can tell, and I didn't exactly covet for my neighbour's 80yearold wife
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

EDIT: n/m

Comment

I am the LORD thy God...thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Have fun being digested in the Bottomless Pit hiding behind Cthulhu's MAW.

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image...thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them

Sorry, I like to doodle.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain

Actually, I do my best to follow this one. No sense in giving falsehoods free advertising.

Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it

Don't tell me what to do and I won't tell you what to do.

Honour thy father and thy mother

Make me.

Thou shalt not kill

This one's rather hard. Either my immune system murders bacteria or bacteria murder my immune system. Very hard to avoid killing.

Neither shalt thou commit adultery

I'll be as adult as I want and you can go join the infantry for all I care.

Neither shalt thou steal

I don't think I've ever stolen, but the RIAA is bound to disagree on that.

Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour

I've never borne false witness and I will never bear false witness. Oh, crap. Now, I am doomed to only be able to break nine out of ten islamojudeochristian commandments.

Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's

Go 1984 yourself, thought cop.

For I am the LORD thy God; come, tally me banana

No, I am the LORD thy God; prove me wrong.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Well, I haven't managed to keep any of them, except for killing. Since I became a Christian more than 6 years ago, I've done a lot better job of keeping these commandments. For the last year or so, I've been staying clean as far as 7 of these commandments are concerned. I'm still working to improve on three of them; I won't say which three, but I am making great progress!
            HAVE A DAY.
            <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
            "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
            For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

I try to keep them all

my views on keeping the Sabbath have changed, but I am wondering if I am still keeping it properly?

I have not murdered anyone

but I have gotten angry in the past (not so much now days)

anyways, I am not sure what to say

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                I'm still working to improve on three of them
                My money is on respect to parents, adultery, and coveting the neighbour's possessions
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

And the ten commandments are pretty nice, BUT....

I don't believe God sent them. Sorry

Comment

I'm not Christian(I'm Hindu , BTW) , but I try to follow those commandments that apply to all .

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                      And the ten commandments are pretty nice, BUT....

I don't believe God sent them. Sorry
                      What? If God didn't send them, how did Moses the Mason get them carved onto stone tablets?
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

What definition of killing are we using for number 6?
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth

What? If God didn't send them, how did Moses the Mason get them carved onto stone tablets?
                          I didn't know we had found the "original" tablets.

Comment

Generally, this list of commandments comes in one of two types:

1. Incredibly obvious, like don't kill or steal. If you need special rules from god to help you on basics like this, you're in trouble.

2. Incredibly silly, like honor something called "the sabbath" or don't covet your neighbor's ox or ass. If you find such obscure anachronisms helpful, again you're in trouble.

So as a guideline for how to act, the ten commandments are essentially useless. You might as well consult the magic eight ball.

But thats about all you can expect if you're taking cues from a mythology created thousands of years ago in a place thousands or miles away. It is too far seperated in time, culture, and reality to be helpful.
                            Good = Love, Love = Good
                            Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

I've never understood keeping the Sabbath; does it go bad?

Like Jimmy Carter, I've committed adultery only in my heart. Of course, I was helped by the fact that none of my marriages has ever lasted long enough for me to have an affair.

Also, I haven't killed anybody, even when I was in the Army and we were at war. And even if I did have a god, I doubt that I'd make a graven image, so I'm okay on #2. No false witness that comes to mind, but don't hold me to that. Other than those, I flunk.

If your neighbor were J Lo, would it be okay to covet her ass?
                              "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Working...
                              X