Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Tolerance or just zero common sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The administrators should spend much more time thinking about the intent of a certain policy and then think up ways they can help this intent instead of hinder the intent. Clearly, the plicy was to prevent illegal drug use and not to stop choking asthmatics from recieving the medications which were already perscribed to her. The boy wasn't trying to get his girlfriend high he was trying to prevent her from choking to death and he did it using the one thing which could prevent that.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

zero tolerance works.

i mean, we stopped that girl from pushing midol on other girls, because midol causes mensturation--and we don't want that in our schools.

that first grader who kiss a girl? stopped him too. we had to teach him that kissing can be a sexual crime, and thereby stopped him from ever being a sexual offender ever again.

we also stopped a young girl who might have grown up to be a terrorist if we hadn't caught her and told her that a keychain with a <1" diameter slinky on the end could be used as a weapon.

see? zero tolerance works. i don't know why you guys keep pointing out these so-called failures. i call them successes.
      B♭3

Comment

And of course while time and resources are spent on this kind of thing other types of crime prevention suffer. In Stockholm the police (in the name of "zero tolerance") have special detachment dealing with the huge societal menace of Illegal Posters Advertising Small-Scale Art Events, while (say) bicycle thefts aren't even given a second glance.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

No. The nurse would be required to either contact the child's parents and have them bring the medicine to the school or call paramedics.
          Why have a school nurse?

As for homeschooling, preaching to the choir.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I believe that sometimes you have to break the law to do a good thing, and when caught you will have to pay. Opportunity cost and all...
            next time, no one will save the girl´s, life because anyone who could help her fears a punishment and runs away.

another example: someone smells smoke in his neighbour´s appartment. he believes there´s a fire and rings at the door. no one opens. next calls the fire brigade.
            later it turns out there was no fire and the man gets fined for calling the fire brigade.
            if you really believe this is ok, better think twice, where this kind of ruling could lead to. next time, when there´s really a fire, the man would rather let his neighbours flat burn, because the laws want it so.
            justice is might

Comment

This is what our society has wrought. We're so obsessed with being "tough on crime" and "tough on drugs", that politicians announce "Zero Tolerance" and people give them standing ovations.

It's not only the school board and administators who aren't thinking. We put these people in power, and they instituted these policies because they are popular. By being "zero tolerance on drugs," you'll get a lot further in your career than the guy who isn't.

We get the government we deserve.

EDIT: grammar
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Exactly. Sounding tough is more important than solving the problem.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

We're not supposed to agree with each other, Cali.

Quick, post something obnoxious, before the world falls off its axis. (Though we're still in danger from a potential Cubs-BoSox WS...)
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yeah, and I'm not suppose to be disagreeing with Cali... What is this world coming to?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Wisdom has left this generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Why have a school nurse?

As for homeschooling, preaching to the choir.
                        When i was in the 4th grade i got two fingers caught in a wooden door at school. I sat in the nurses office for three hours bleeding before they decided it was time to call my mom. Most of what I remember from that day is my mom cussing the principle for not calling her sooner or getting me some medical attention. I had never knew my mom could say such words .
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Zero common sense.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

In order to a good deed the kid had to break a "law". He has to pay now. No one ever said one good deed gets another, it just deserves it.

I believe that sometimes you have to break the law to do a good thing, and when caught you will have to pay. Opportunity cost and all...

Please Note: I did say that the policy should be reevaluated because of this incident.
                            What end will it serve to have the kid take the punishment? Who will benefit? The society? I don't think so. The problem with any zero tolerance is generalizing. Are you guilty of this too? I know that in _some_ cases upholding stupid law and sacrificing someone would work for some greater end, but not in this case imo. I don't understand who or what could possibly benefit from this.

Comment

What end will it serve to have the kid take the punishment? Who will benefit? The society? I don't think so
                              Hopefully society will benefit, as now people will look at this case and reevaluate the stupid policy.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

There should be zero tolerance for Coke consumption in schools . . . . .
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X