Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Tolerance or just zero common sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Tolerance or just zero common sense?

Discipline Decided In Student Inhaler Incident
    Students To Withdraw From School

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas -- A meeting was held Friday for a student accused of breaking school rules and state law by giving his girlfriend his inhaler when she had trouble breathing, News2Houston reported.
    Video

Andra Ferguson and her boyfriend, Brandon Kivi, both 15, use the same type of asthma medicine, Albuterol Inhalation Aerosol.

Ferguson said she forgot to bring her medication to their school, Caney Creek High School, 16840 FM 2090, on Sept. 24. When she had trouble breathing, she went to the nurse's office.

Out of concern, Kivi let her use his inhaler.

But the school nurse said it was a violation of the district's no-tolerance drug policy, and reported Kivi to the campus police. He was suspended for three days and charged with delivering a dangerous drug. He faced expulsion and being sent to juvenile detention on juvenile drug charges.

On Friday, school officials decided to expel Kivi but not press criminal charges. They said it was an amicable agreement.

"I'm happy. Everything's final," Kivi said. "I'm expelled 'til after Christmas and I can come back after Christmas, but I won't."

Ferguson said Kivi possibly saved her life and should never have been punished.

"I still think he did the right thing 'cause he was just doing good and he did the right thing," Ferguson said.

Conroe Independent School District officials released the following statement. "Texas school districts are required by law to expel students who commit certain offenses. Delivery of a dangerous drug is one of those offenses."

Kivi's family is relieved it's over.

"I won in a way, but what they (did) to my son was unfair. I'm still angry," said Theresa Hock, Kivi's mother.

Kivi said the ordeal taught him the lesson of a lifetime.

"If I had this to do again, I would do the right thing and ask the nurse before I do it, to keep out of trouble," Kivi said.

Ferguson was not disciplined over the incident.

Both Kivi and Ferguson decided to withdraw from Caney Creek High School to be home-schooled.

The families received calls of support from around the world after their story was made public.
    The page you're trying to access could not be found or is no longer available.

Zero tolerance policies are just pure laziness. Instead of using their brains and deciding for themselves whether this deserved punishment, the school administrators just follow a nonsensical policy. This kind of thing happens far too often under zero tolerance policies - isn't it time we got rid of them?

Stories like this scare me. They illustrate just how low the schools in this country have sunk. If these are the people educating our children then the future looks pretty grim.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Let me get this straight: They use the same sort of prescription drugs, and one was punished for giving the other the drug?

indeed.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Albuterol is not a dangerous drug. I'd sue.

Caligastia, this is Texas. They are major dumbasses when it comes to educating their children there. Their educational system is completely broken, but by god they can play some football. At least they have their priorities straight.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I have no words for this. It's too early to really work myself into a fury, but "idiotic" is too gentle a word for this.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

By God that kid will think twice before helping out a friend ever again! He sure learned his lesson!
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

As an asthmatic, I can tell you right now, if anyone ever needed a puff off my inhaler, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to them, not even if he was George W. Bush. Suffocating is terrifying and painful, and watching someone needlessly suffer when I can stop it is just cruel and evil and the kind of thing George W. Bush would do.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Caligastia, this is Texas. They are major dumbasses when it comes to educating their children there. Their educational system is completely broken, but by god they can play some football. At least they have their priorities straight.
              This kind of stuff really makes me despair.

Ok, so Texas has a bad educational system where this kind of stuff happens, but I have also heard similar stories from other parts of the country that have zero tolerance policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                Ok, so Texas has a bad educational system where this kind of stuff happens, but I have also heard similar stories from other parts of the country that have zero tolerance policies.
                Generally, the worse the educational system, the more likely they are to pull this kinda stuff. I don't think I want to send any future children to public schools, because I don't want them to learn to put up with authoritarian BS that isn't my own.

Comment

As an asthmatic, I can tell you right now, if anyone ever needed a puff off my inhaler, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to them, not even if he was George W. Bush. Suffocating is terrifying and painful, and watching someone needlessly suffer when I can stop it is just cruel and evil and the kind of thing George W. Bush would do.
                  I think you must be obsessed with George W. Bush - come on, admit it...you're in love.

Comment

Generally, the worse the educational system, the more likely they are to pull this kinda stuff. I don't think I want to send any future children to public schools, because I don't want them to learn to put up with authoritarian BS that isn't my own.
                    I totally agree. Some of the stuff coming from public schools these days is dangerously idiotic. I think I'd either send them to a private school or home-school them.

Comment

sounds like our public school system alright!

Comment

and now you see the truth behind kids these days not liking school, its not because its boring its because we have more common sense than the entire staff put together. apperantly it was beaten out of them by thier teachers when they were in school.

Comment

I don't think I want to send any future children to public schools, because I don't want them to learn to put up with authoritarian BS that isn't my own.
                          Sig material -- only your authoritarian BS counts, right?
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                            Sig material -- only your authoritarian BS counts, right?
                            All parents are authoritarians if they want to raise decent children.

Comment

California has the same zero tolerance policy so I could see some dumb ass administrator trying to pull the same sort of thing here.

I wonder if the boy could have sued under the federal good samaritan protection laws. Depending upon how sever the woman's asthma was you could make a case that her life was in danger, or at least her boyfriend had reason to believe so, and so he acted to save her life just as if he happened upon a stranger bleeding to death in the street. Would that sort of angle work or do the good samaritan laws only protect people from civil penalties?

The girl says she thought her boyfriend had saved her life. I think they have a case here and should be able to sue for damages since her was expelled and publicly ridiculed.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X