A Question for the Religious Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for the Religious Types

Since Imran got the other thread deleted after a rather embarassing brainfart for him, I thought we'd try this again, toned down.

If you are religious, and if you believe that homosexuality is either a sin, not natural, or immoral:

1) Do you recognize that most homosexuals are deeply offended by that?
    2) Do you care?

Also, for those to which this applies:
    3) If you believe that homosexuals are okay, but homosexual sex is a sin -- can you please explain the logic behind that...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I think that (every) people born on this earth are born into sin. This does not mean that they have sinned at birth or anything of the sort. Rather what I mean is that people are different than what God created* them to be. That is what the whole thing about putting off mortality and putting on immortality is about (mentioned by Paul).

I consider Homosexuality actually to be a little different than a lot of the other things because sex is such a strong motivator for humans.

As far as I see it, homosexuals can (Attempt to) engage in homosexual relationships, heterosexual relationships, or no relationships.

In a homosexual relationship they can get all the good things from the lover/significant other relationship that heterosexuals can get.

In a Heterosexual relationship, the homosexual (I would imagine) would feel unhappy and unsatisfied and would probably cheat at times (since their sex drive would be driven in ways that the person who they were trying to ahve a relationship with could not handle). This seems to be a lot more negative than the above possibility.

And finally, staying nonsexual just does not work for most people (obviously).

Therefore I think that for most homosexuals, being ina loving homoseuxal relationship is the best thing for this world.

Jon Miller
    * by created I mean whatever manner God used to cause man to exist (evolution, direct creation, ect)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why can't all religious people be like you, Jon.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm not going to give to my personal opinions on this, but to give the official "party line" for the Church's teachings...

"1) Do you recognize that most homosexuals are deeply offended by that?"

That's obvious.

"2) Do you care?"

Yes, as such offense against God's rules can be an impediment towards the homosexual's relationship with God, and because of the psychological distress given to the homosexual.

"3) If you believe that homosexuals are okay, but homosexual sex is a sin -- can you please explain the logic behind that..."

Sexual attraction towards the same sex can be regarded as a temptation towards the sin of homosexual sex. Homosexuals are human beings due full dignity as they are still human beings with souls who are made in the image and likeness of God. They merely have a temptation to a certain type of sin. It is worth noting that homosexual sex is a grave sin, but so are a lot of other things- including birth control. So while practicing homosexuals are in material sin, so are the vast majority of heterosexual couples.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          Sexual attraction towards the same sex can be regarded as a temptation towards the sin of homosexual sex. Homosexuals are human beings due full dignity as they are still human beings with souls who are made in the image and likeness of God. They merely have a temptation to a certain type of sin. It is worth noting that homosexual sex is a grave sin, but so are a lot of other things- including birth control. So while practicing homosexuals are in material sin, so are the vast majority of heterosexual couples.
          Which is the greater sin, living a life of unhappiness pretending to be someone you're not, or being gay?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Which is the greater sin, living a life of unhappiness pretending to be someone you're not, or being gay?
            That's a very poignant question, Asher. The problem with this sin is that like unlike most others this one is often based on genuine love.

This is a difficult area, and one that I obviously am going to have problems explaining. To try give an answer, though, the Church would never ask anyone to pretend to be someone they are not. The Church certainly would not want anyone to lie, and in a compassionate community of Catholics the homosexual should be able to request the support and prayer of their friends and of their priest.

As far as living a life of unhappiness, well, the teaching of the Church is simply that chastity and unhapiness are not nessecarily bound together, as the modern view would typically indicate, what with our culture's emphasis on sex. If the Church viewed chastity to be an evil thing, it would not honor the Blessed Virgin Mary's virginity as it does. It would not require chastity of it's priests and monks. It would not mention a single life outside of religious vocations as a possible vocation.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Do religions other than Christianity preach against homosexuality?
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Islam is a lot worse
                CSPA

Comment

Stone them ponces!
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The latter, obviously, since the Church actually requires the former of its priest and nuns.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well, I was going to say that living a life of unhappiness is rather pious and certainly not a sin, but Rufus already stole my thunder. Thanks.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Re: A Question for the Religious Types

Since Imran got the other thread deleted after a rather embarassing brainfart for him, I thought we'd try this again, toned down.

If you are religious, and if you believe that homosexuality is either a sin, not natural, or immoral:

1) Do you recognize that most homosexuals are deeply offended by that?
                        2) Do you care?
                        I'm not religious, but why would they? If God makes something a rule and you believe in God, there is nothing that can be done about it.

On the other hand. apart from the godhatesfags mob many Christians I know think that homosexuality is a sin on par with masturbation and having impure thoughts. Hardly the end of the world, is it?

Also, for those to which this applies:
                        3) If you believe that homosexuals are okay, but homosexual sex is a sin -- can you please explain the logic behind that...
                        Because they think that everyone is worthy of foregiveness - even multiple murderers. After all, everyone's a sinner.

Not hard, is it?
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I personally am utterly indifferent on the issue, but Orthodoxy's official answer is pretty much in line with what Agathon and Shi said, IIRC.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Pretty much what Agathon said.

The concept of sin is far more than specific acts which we as humans disaprove of. Jesus condemned religious hypocrites and received "sinners". In his eyes the common sinners were more righteous than people who condemned them. Jesus receives sinners and invites them to follow him. All who come to him have to repent of their own desires and seek the will of God wherever that leads. I have been single for 55 years and denied myself the pleasure of married life because I felt that God was leading me in another direction. God asks nothing more from gay people than he does from everyone else. Jesus said to deny yourself and take up your cross daily and follow him. Everyone bears a cross of one sort or another.

Comment

So you dont miss being loved or loving someone else (no I dont mean the love towards a friend, I mean real love...)? Isnt such a lifestyle very depressing?
                              If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Working...
                              X