No announcement yet.

In Canada some groups are more equal than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben - was that a publicly funded college?

Comment

Yes. It's a publicly funded university here in Canada.

Anyhoo, I'm tired, so g'night all.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Gays should have equal rights but not special rights. If the first post is correct then it seems Canada is considering giving gays special rights above and beyond what the average citizen enjoys.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
          Just as it is illegal to preach hatred of Jews. It wasn't all that long ago that many Christian denominations regularly preached against Jews btw. A minority still do and find scriptural references to back their claims...
          I see where you are coming from and you do make a point. That said from the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim perspective god has told them that homosexuality is immoral and that god hates it as a sin. For a religious person this puts them in a terrible delema where they have to choice between what they see as god's word or the state's laws.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Gays should have equal rights but not special rights. If the first post is correct then it seems Canada is considering giving gays special rights above and beyond what the average citizen enjoys.
            Sounds like a quote from the Family Research Council.

Again, the law does not single out gays for special protection. It protects people of all sexual orientation from such hateful activity. If heterosexuals are the only ones out there in number spewing hate against gays and bis and committing acts of hate-motivated violence, that would indicate a problem among the heterosexual community, wouldn't it?

Whether or not it is prohibiting free speech, I'm not sure--even in the U.S., free speech isn't quite absolute, since it is illegal to incite violence against others. But the law isn't singling out any particular group for "special rights."
            Last edited by Boris Godunov; September 18, 2003, 08:24.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Because freedom includes "hating" those you find worthy of "hate". And because these laws won't be used consistently, they will be used to suppress "hatred" of the politically connected while allowing "hatred" of those who are not. Ever hear of the Alien & Sedition Act? It was passed in the 1790's by Congress and John Adams to suppress criticism of Congress and John Adams, not to suppress criticism leveled by those in power against their political opponents. Does that answer your rhetorical question designed to indict the motives of your opponents?
              Exactly. It is quite easy now for a so called protected group to silence a group that they hate by calling them a "hate group." What a brilliant way to stifle opposing views. Too bad it is working.

Comment

Because freedom includes "hating" those you find worthy of "hate".
                And because these laws won't be used consistently, they will be used to suppress "hatred" of the politically connected while allowing "hatred" of those who are not.
                So are you against libel laws? These laws set limits on freedom of speech. The hate laws are the similar. Libel laws protect the individual. Hate laws protect groups.

Do you oppose laws that make it illegal to incite a riot?

Freedom of speech has never been absolute. To claim that homosexuals are somehow a special type of protection that has never existed in any form before, is simply wrong.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
                  Exactly. It is quite easy now for a so called protected group to silence a group that they hate by calling them a "hate group." What a brilliant way to stifle opposing views. Too bad it is working.
                  Bull. Show me one case where it was "easy" to silence someone under Canadian hate laws.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Get the **** beat out of you or get your ass lynched would probably be one start, though I don't favor hate crimes legislation.
                    Neither do I.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

More liberals invited to the riot?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        When was the last time a crime against a white person fell under the category of a 'hate' crime?
                        In the US, most of the prosecuted hate crimes have been about attacks against white people, but as most Jews and gays are white, that doesn't tell us a whole lot.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally poosted by Ben Kenobi
                          In theory, it ought to protect everyone equally. In practice, hate crimes only come into play when involving a minority group.

Uh, could that maybe be because in practice most hate crimes are perpetrated against minorities?

Gee, could that be because they don't want to pass anything that might remotely do good for gays?

Originally poosted by Berzerker
                          Like banning anal intercourse?

Bezerker - please, please don't tell me you think gays are the only ones (or even a majority of those) who enjoy anal intercourse!
                          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Amazing!

We are already on page 3 of a Lincoln anti-gay troll thread, and he still hasn't reminded us that he really has nothing against homosexuals because he has a gay brother!

Lincoln, I was hoping that your time in Thailand would have taught you something about tolerance.

(Still recalling Lincoln's last anti-gay troll thread; "Gay eats child.")
                            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

Bull. Show me one case where it was "easy" to silence someone under Canadian hate laws.

The Court of Queen's Bench in Saskatchewan upheld a 2001 ruling by the province's human rights tribunal that fined a man for submitting a newspaper ad that included citations of four Bible verses that address homosexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                                Amazing!

We are already on page 3 of a Lincoln anti-gay troll thread, and he still hasn't reminded us that he really has nothing against homosexuals because he has a gay brother!

Lincoln, I was hoping that your time in Thailand would have taught you something about tolerance.

(Still recalling Lincoln's last anti-gay troll thread; "Gay eats child.")
                                I was hopimg that your time in China would have taught you something about freedom

And try to forgive and forget mindseye. I know it still upsets you that a fellow gay ate a little boy but try and forgive him and go on

Comment

Working...
                                X