No announcement yet.

In Canada some groups are more equal than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me that the trend in Canada now (and the US will no doubt follow) is that whoever screams the loudest gets to be more equal. Old people are abused everyday but they usually are ignored because they are too weak to defend themselves. They deserve protection even though they do not demonstrate in the streets for special rights. Everyone however weak or unorganized or politically inactive they may be deserves equal protection under the law. Not just the loud mouths.

Comment

but the alternative is worse, so I guess we have to live with it.
      Why? I fail to see why we should not stand up for our rights to speak freely, especially when groups such as the feminists like to censor disagreeable speech.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Why? I fail to see why we should not stand up for our rights to speak freely, especially when groups such as the feminists like to censor disagreeable speech.
        I meant live with it when it isn't too bad. In your case I'd fight it since the rule is clearly not being applied impartially, but as a means of suppressing dissent rather than hate.

On the other hand this is student politics which tends to be dominated by callow egomaniacs for whom the good war hallows every cause.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Sez you. I'm with Alexandra Kollentai on the revolution and sexuality.
          I'd forgotten about her.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Sez you. I'm with Alexandra Kollentai on the revolution and sexuality.
            If you guys had stuck with that free sex guy from the 19th century, you'd rule the world by now.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
              It seems to me that the trend in Canada now (and the US will no doubt follow) is that whoever screams the loudest gets to be more equal. Old people are abused everyday but they usually are ignored because they are too weak to defend themselves. They deserve protection even though they do not demonstrate in the streets for special rights. Everyone however weak or unorganized or politically inactive they may be deserves equal protection under the law. Not just the loud mouths.
              Have you ever heard of someone inciting violence against the aged?

That is what our hate laws are intended to head off. Extreme cases of 'loud mouths' who are saying and writing things that are likely to result in others taking up the fight against some minortiy group or other.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Have you ever heard of someone inciting violence against the aged?

That is what our hate laws are intended to head off. Extreme cases of 'loud mouths' who are saying and writing things that are likely to result in others taking up the fight against some minortiy group or other.
                Yes, I am sure that the intention was honorable. The problem is that the concept is flawed legally because any group can claim that they are being abused and deserving of special protection. That is why equal protection under the law is the best way to protect everyone. And yes, I have heard of people who desire old people to be killed at a certain age or degree of infirmity.

Comment

Homer, stop reading that Ross Perot pamphlet.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Off to bed. Night all...

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln

Yes, I am sure that the intention was honorable. The problem is that the concept is flawed legally because any group can claim that they are being abused and deserving of special protection. That is why equal protection under the law is the best way to protect everyone. And yes, I have heard of people who desire old people to be killed at a certain age or degree of infirmity.
                      Actually, I agree that it would be better if ANY identifiable group was covered by the legislation, for those instances where the odd thing happens.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

On the other hand this is student politics which tends to be dominated by callow egomaniacs for whom the good war hallows every cause.
                        It's one thing for the student governement, it's another for the BC Supreme court. We lost our case challenging these restrictions this summer.

No money to pursue an appeal, since everything we do relies upon donations.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I"m waiting to hear what groups get special protections in Canada. I haven't seen that elucidated on yet.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

What does the legislation actually say?

Does it say people can be punished for speaking out against what they believe to be immoral behavior or does it say people can face differing punishments based on what politicians currently employed as prosecutors perceive to be the motive of the culprit who physically attacks another person?

1) a black homosexual male attacks a white heterosexual male
                            2) a white heterosexual male attacks a black homosexual male

The prosecutor decides if the attacks were motivated by hate (as if assault in either case can be motivated by love or indifference). Does anyone really think (1) would be a "hate" crime while (2) would not?

Comment

I"m waiting to hear what groups get special protections in Canada. I haven't seen that elucidated on yet.
                              Done, earlier in the thread.

This amendment to the hate propaganda sections of the Criminal Code would expand the current definition of protected groups that now include "colour, race, religion or ethnic origin" to also include "sexual orientation" or homosexuality.

Comment

What if a white lesbian attacked a black heterosexual Jew?
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X