In Canada some groups are more equal than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Considering Singer is well-published and highly-regarded ethicist and intellectual, what reason do I have to assume his motives aren't good? He gives detailed rationales for his opinion, which is why one can see his motives aren't hateful. Even the quote you cited showed this.

I don't know, maybe because he advocates killing babies?? Oh yeah, I almost forgot he is well published and teaches "ethics" at Princeton, so he cannot be hateful. Of course quite a few well educated people in history gave detailed rationales for their "cleansings" of humanity but this guy is really respected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Considering Singer is well-published and highly-regarded ethicist and intellectual, what reason do I have to assume his motives aren't good? He gives detailed rationales for his opinion, which is why one can see his motives aren't hateful. Even the quote you cited showed this.
      He certainly is well published and enjoys quite a bit of celebrity because of his views, but Singer is not regarded as much of a philosopher by those in the profession. As far as philosophy goes Singer is analogous to a popular science writer, who puts forth the results of others' work for public consumption.

And he's a naive utilitarian, which makes him a bit of an idiot.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln

I don't know, maybe because he advocates killing babies?? Oh yeah, I almost forgot he is well published and teaches "ethics" at Princeton, so he cannot be hateful. Of course quite a few well educated people in history gave detailed rationales for their "cleansings" of humanity but this guy is really respected.
        The baby killing argument is not Singer's, it comes from a paper called "Abortion and Infanticide" by Michael Tooley which was published in Philosophy and Public Affairs in 1972.

In that paper Tooley argues that infanticide is permissible if abortion is. I'm not sure that Tooley was advocating infanticide so much as showing up problems with the pro-choice position.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

The baby killing argument is not Singer's, it comes from a paper called "Abortion and Infanticide" by Michael Tooley which was published in Philosophy and Public Affairs in 1972.

In that paper Tooley argues that infanticide is permissible if abortion is. I'm not sure that Tooley was advocating infanticide so much as showing up problems with the pro-choice position.
          Yes, I am sure that Singer did not originate the idea. And I think I might enjoy Tooley's paper. I think such ideas as infanticide grow from a liberal view toward abortion. Where do the choices end? If the caretaker has all the options then it would seem to me that infantacide is the next logical step. Of course Singer et al invariably believe that life (in his words) "is meaningless", so "practical" ethics does make sense from that point of view.

Comment

• Hello again Boris. Because you seem to be having a hard time following my argument I have reworded it more in line with Peter Singer’s vernacular. Suppose he said the following and put this in an ad rather than the red slash thing that the guy who placed the offensive ad used:

"Suppose in the future a “gay gene” is discovered. A woman planning to have two children has one normal child, then gives birth to a homosexual child. The burden of caring for that child may make it impossible for her to cope with a third normal child; but if the gay child were to die, she would have another who would hopefully be normal . . . When the death of a homosexual infant will lead to the birth of another infant with better prospects of a happy life, the total amount of happiness will be greater if the gay infant is killed. The loss of happy life for the first infant is outweighed by the gain of a happier life for the second. Therefore, if killing the homosexual infant has no adverse effect on others, it would, according to the total view, be right to kill him."

(Disclaimer: This ad is posted by a respected tenured professor at Princeton University who is well-published and highly-regarded ethicist and intellectual, so there is no reason to assume his motives aren't good. We all know that only right wing Christians are capable of hate anyway. Our motivation is of course based on love for humanity, children, apple pie and the desire for a better world tomorrow.)

Comment

• So who decides what a happy life is? Why do you think they call them "gay"?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Did you register a complaint with the SU as several people did for your display?
                Asher:

Why? I support their right to use graphic pictures.

I'd doubt it, Calgary may be right-wing but not religiously so. You need to go out to rural Alberta to find the religious right-wingers.

Not to mention that my university simply doesn't permit that kind of display on campus. In fact there was a recent issue about even allowing topless "artwork" in the halls, and they were forced to take them down.

Seems that they are rather conservative, eh? Over here, the topless art would be celebrated and the graphic pictures banned.

Tingkai

How about posting your abortion pic so we can judge.
                I'd need permission from Ming. Perhaps a link?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Passages calling for killing/exiling/hating Jews, plus a picture of a Jew or Jewish symbol with a slash through it, but it's not advocating hateful actions towards Jews?

Yep. Biblical Passages against unbelievers = to a slash through a Jewish symbol or Israel do not necessarily advocate hateful actions and genocide towards Jews. Unless you think converting Jews or speaking against Jews in religious debates are hateful actions?

Why not just run an ad with the verses? Seems to me that would make his point and avoid running afoul of the law.

Yes, of course, just run an ad with cites to Biblical verses. Like ANYONE WOULD KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE WAS TALKING ABOUT?! Really? How daft do you have to be to believe that listing cites to biblical verses would make his point? What utter bull****.

So if someone has to go look up the verses to see that they call for violence, then that's a pass? "Oh, just so long as some folks are ignorant of the meaning..."

Yeah, actually that is a pass. Since 90% (and that may be too low) of the people reading the ad will have no idea what it means without the picture, then yeah. They will say that Biblical verses are against homosexuality. That's clear from the pictures. Biblical passages = no homosexuality to a vast majority of the readership. What, because like 5% know that the passages say kill gays and cast out gays that the ad is a secret code to kill them? Please .

it's Bible = no homosexuals. See the difference?

A slight difference which does not matter at all in this context.

Now, by your "logic," I'm therefore comparing water to iron. Obviously, they must be the same or similar, right? Right...

Because comparing the NAZIs to any other political/religious group is the same as comparing objects such as iron or water? Analogizing some group with the Nazis is a very charged issue and is intentionally done to bring the group down. Why do you think Israelis get irate when someone compares something Israel did to the Nazis... because it is meant to say 'you are as bad as the Nazis', not a simple analogy.

Thought you were a bit brighter than that to see complexities in the situation.

Godwin's Law is not invoked any time the Nazis are mentioned, it is only invoked when it is used as an insult.

No, it really applies every time someone is compared to the Nazis... and an analogy surely qualifies.

I suggest, however, since you can only harp on a strawman instead of answer the question, that you have no real answer for it. That's all I needed to know.

Analogizing Nazis v. Jews and Christians v. homosexuals is an obviously failed analogy to anyone with half a mind. Therefore an alterior motive (Christians = Nazis?) becomes apparent. I already answered the question, using anti-Israeli, anti-Judaism groups instead, if you opened your permanent shut eyes, blinded by your own bias. Right after I chastized you for comparing the Christians to Nazis. Of course your bias shows so greatly that you can't be arsed to actually READ anything, can you?
                  Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; September 22, 2003, 01:19.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• BTW, just talked to Chris 62 about the verses (and he looked them up). Only ONE of the four verses advocated killing homosexuals (the 2nd Leviticus verse). Another says homosexuality is a sin (1st Leviticus). The Corinthians verse says homosexuality as well as fornication and other sins will be judged harshly in the afterlife. And Romans 1 merely says homosexuality is wrong.

So THAT is advocated genocide of homosexuals? One verse out of the four?!

Try again.
                    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; September 22, 2003, 01:20.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• and that is the OT where it is in the instructions for the country at the time

most those instructions for Israel are generally unacknowledge as instructions for the rest of us (for example the laws detailing how to handle people who steal or kill or whatever)

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Yep, Jon, as Chris told me as well, the OT is MUCH more heavy handed. Christians should look at the OT, but not the punishments stated (Jesus took care of that) .

Comment

• BTW

I agree that homosexuality often leads to sin (that any homosexual action is a sin)

but so does heterosexuality (just lusting after someone is a sin)

also, jsut because something is a sin does not mean that it should be legislated against, that is that persons decision

God gave us free will to make decisions, and we should enable people to do so as much as possible

(also, many people are inclined to homosexuality (from factors outside their control), I think God would want them to find love with someone of the same sex rather than cheat all the time (because they are so attracted to their sex and are trying to be with someone of the opposite sex))

I could of course be totally wrong with everything

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• BTW, just talked to Chris 62 about the verses (and he looked them up).
                            You just could have asked me to post 'em.

1 Cor 6:9

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders."

Romans 1:26-27

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. "

Leviticus 18:22

" 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Leviticus 20:13

13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln
                              Why is a so called respectable intellectual allowed to advocate infanticide and the killing of people like Stephen Hawking (before he had a chance to grow up, in case you missed the fact that he was once an infant)? And it is not allowed for one to express his religious opposition to homosexuality?
                              Stephen Hawkings was not born disabled. ALS occurred later in life.

There are people who want to kill all homosexuals simply because they believe that all homosexuals are evil and therefore they must die. Anything written with this attitude is hate literature.

AFAIK, Singer is different. His starting point is not hate. That's why it is not hate literature.

He starts with the ethical issues created by medical technology that allows us to keep people alive who might otherwise die. Is it better to keep a person alive, but in constant pain, or to let them die? Are we morally obliged to use all the technology we have to prevent death? Also, if we do nothing to prevent the death, is that any different from doing something that will hasten death?

Even though he may conclude that allowing infants to die is morally acceptable, it is not hate literature because his starting point is not hate.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Thank you Ben . As stated only 1 of the 4 says anything about killing Jews. Romans talks about 'due penalty', but it doesn't not tell anyone whether the 'penalty' was temporal or in the afterlife. Anyway, I'm sick of Boris' crap on this thread. I now know what is behind all the complaints about him. So, later... debate Peter Singer, that seems like a fun one .

Comment

Working...
                                X