In Canada some groups are more equal than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher -
    Obiwan's story is from the perspective of someone very religious and very devout in his pro-life beliefs, don't believe he's telling you the unbiased story of what happened.
    Plus intent is also a matter: In the "holocaust" example, they are historical records with historical value. Showing dead fetuses as part of a pro-life booth is simply bad taste, vulgar, and purely political.
    Hmm... you were talking about bias?

Tingkai -
    Is proof of malicious intent required under US libel law? It's not required in Canada.
    I believe it is wrt slander and I'm not really sure how slander is different than libel. Malice has to be shown and that makes it much more difficult, so much so libel/slander cases are rather rare in the US. The last one to make headlines was Oprah's show indicting beef and she was sued by the cattle/beef assoc...she won her case down in Texas.

The Canadian law merely looks at whether it is reasonable to conclude that a statement might lower a person's standing within a community. There is no requirement to prove that specific damage has occurred.
    Yikes, that standard is a hazard to free speech IMO. Just saying someone is a homosexual could do that within many communities.

So if someone says John is a paedaphile, he does not have to prove that this has damaged his reputation.
    I'd agree with that since the damage is self-evident, most libel cases are brought for economic damage like the Oprah suit. But here malice would have to be a factor so that honest mistakes can be made without lawsuits being filed and won.

But libel laws do not cover a case where groups are named instead of individuals, even though saying "homosexuals are all paedaphiles" can be just as damaging as saying "John is a paedaphile." That's why we need laws against hate speech.
    If reason is the standard, is it reasonable to reach such a conclusion about all homosexuals? You see, comments (including jokes) about the Catholic Church and pedophilism could be construed as "hate" speech based on such generalisations. That's the problem with expanding libel laws protecting individuals to "hate crime" laws protecting groups since the use of generalisations is so common.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

This is flagrant bull****. From this and your other comments I am convinced you don't, and have never, attended a university, or if you did, you have had your head inserted into your backside for the entire time.

Everyone knows that student unions are almost all run by what most people call "left leaning" groups. I have attended and taught at a couple of universities for over a decade now and only once has there been a right wing student union executive (and that was a first in NZ - it didn't last long: they were so spectacularly incompetent they got thrown out).

Those who end up getting voted in (usually with a pathetically low turnout) are almost always malcontents whose sole aim is to get everyone else at the university to submit to their political will. While these people will pay lip service to those with opposing views, in practice they will do all that is within their power to suppress them.

If you attended a university you would know that there are four things which no one may even be mildly critical of for any reason without provoking a storm of hate and reprisals. These are: blacks; homosexuals; women/the feminist movement; and Jews.

These are protected species on campus (although perversely Israel bashing is permitted and even encouraged in some quarters). It doesn't matter what you actually did or what you actually said, if you are labelled an enemy by these people, they will do their best to make your life a misery. I've seen it happen numerous times.

It is wrong and Obi-wan and his friends are from the sound of it probably the objects of wrongful discrimination, but there isn't much one can do about it, short of abolishing the student union and student politics - since whoever's on top will tend to behave badly. I actually favour this last option, since I can't remember anything good coming out of student politics that wasn't adequately encouraged by some other organisation.
      Thanks for reminding us of the real world in most University campuses. I couldn't agree more. They opposed the anti-abortion posters because they oppose the accepted bias firmly entrenched on campus.

Comment

• The Canadian law merely looks at whether it is reasonable to conclude that a statement might lower a person's standing within a community. There is no requirement to prove that specific damage has occurred.
        No wonder the United States and Canada went their seperate ways. What if the guy deserves to have his standing in the community lowered? Should we still retend that he is an upstanding individual so we don't have to go to jail for teling the truth?

Comment

• VOTING RECORDS ON BILL C-250 (from Hansard)

YEAS

Members

Adams
          Alcock
          Asselin
          Augustine
          Bachand (Saint-Jean)
          Bachand (Richmond--Arthabaska)
          Bagnell
          Barnes (London West)
          Barrette
          Bélanger
          Bennett
          Bergeron
          Bigras
          Binet
          Blaikie
          Blondin-Andrew
          Bonwick
          Borotsik
          Boudria
          Bourgeois
          Bradshaw
          Brison
          Brown
          Bulte
          Byrne
          Caccia
          Caplan
          Cardin
          Carignan
          Carroll
          Catterall
          Cauchon
          Charbonneau
          Clark
          Coderre
          Collenette
          Comartin
          Crête
          Cullen
          Cuzner
          Dalphond-Guiral
          Davies
          Desjarlais
          DeVillers
          Dion
          Dromisky
          Drouin
          Duceppe
          Easter
          Eggleton
          Eyking
          Finlay
          Folco
          Fontana
          Frulla
          Fry
          Gagnon (Champlain)
          Gagnon (Lac-Saint-Jean—Saguenay)
          Gagnon (Québec)
          Gauthier
          Girard-Bujold
          Godfrey
          Godin
          Graham
          Grose
          Guarnieri
          Guay
          Guimond
          Harvard
          Harvey
          Herron
          Ianno
          Jennings
          Jobin
          Jordan
          Keddy (South Shore)
          Keyes
          Kilgour (Edmonton Southeast)
          Knutson
          Kraft Sloan
          Laframboise
          Lanctôt
          LeBlanc
          Lee
          Lill
          Lincoln
          Loubier
          MacKay (Pictou—Antigonish—Guysborough)
          Macklin
          Mahoney
          Maloney
          Marceau
          Martin (Winnipeg Centre)
          Martin (LaSalle--Émard)
          Masse
          McCallum
          McDonough
          McLellan
          Ménard
          Minna
          Mitchell
          Murphy
          Nault
          Neville
          Normand
          Nystrom
          Paquette
          Paradis
          Parrish
          Patry
          Peterson
          Phinney
          Picard (Drummond)
          Plamondon
          Price
          Proctor
          Proulx
          Redman
          Regan
          Robillard
          Robinson
          Rocheleau
          Rock
          Roy
          Saada
          Sauvageau
          Scott
          Sgro
          Shepherd
          Simard
          St-Jacques
          St. Denis
          Stewart
          Stoffer
          Telegdi
          Thibault (West Nova)
          Thibeault (Saint-Lambert)
          Tremblay
          Vanclief
          Wasylycia-Leis
          Whelan

Total: -- 141

NAYS

Members

Abbott
          Ablonczy
          Anders
          Anderson (Cypress Hills—Grasslands)
          Assadourian
          Bailey
          Barnes (Gander—Grand Falls)
          Bélair
          Bellemare
          Benoit
          Bertrand
          Bonin
          Breitkreuz
          Bryden
          Burton
          Cadman
          Calder
          Cannis
          Casey
          Casson
          Chamberlain
          Chatters
          Cummins
          Day
          Doyle
          Duncan
          Efford
          Elley
          Epp
          Fitzpatrick
          Forseth
          Gallant
          Goldring
          Gouk
          Grewal
          Grey
          Hanger
          Harper
          Harris
          Hill (Macleod)
          Hill (Prince George--Peace River)
          Hilstrom
          Hinton
          Hubbard
          Jackson
          Jaffer
          Johnston
          Karetak-Lindell
          Karygiannis
          Kenney (Calgary Southeast)
          Lastewka
          Longfield
          Lunn (Saanich—Gulf Islands)
          Lunney (Nanaimo—Alberni)
          Malhi
          Mark
          Marleau
          Martin (Esquimalt--Juan de Fuca)
          Mayfield
          McCormick
          McGuire
          McKay (Scarborough East)
          McNally
          McTeague
          Meredith
          Merrifield
          Mills (Red Deer)
          O'Brien (London--Fanshawe)
          O'Reilly
          Obhrai
          Pacetti
          Pallister
          Penson
          Peric
          Peschisolido
          Pickard (Chatham--Kent Essex)
          Pillitteri
          Rajotte
          Reed (Halton)
          Reid (Lanark—Carleton)
          Reynolds
          Ritz
          Savoy
          Schellenberger
          Schmidt
          Serré
          Skelton
          Solberg
          Sorenson
          Speller
          Spencer
          St-Julien
          Steckle
          Stinson
          Strahl
          Szabo
          Thompson (New Brunswick Southwest)
          Thompson (Wild Rose)
          Toews
          Tonks
          Ur
          Valeri
          Vellacott
          Volpe
          Wappel
          Wayne
          White (Langley--Abbotsford)
          White (North Vancouver)
          Williams
          Yelich
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Asher:

First off, I was there, I'm considered a primary source.

It's one thing to provide the pictures for people who are willing to see them, it's another thing to force them down other people's throats.
            Gee. Whenever we are on campus we have 'warning signs' in front of our display that warn people about graphic pictures in front. If they choose to walk that way, they will see the pictures.

Plus intent is also a matter: In the "holocaust" example, they are historical records with historical value. Showing dead fetuses as part of a pro-life booth is simply bad taste, vulgar, and purely political.
            Intent? What if I said my intent was to provide a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves?

Similarly, I'd hope a "stool appreciation club" with graphic pictures involving human stool would be forced to remove their pictures upon several complaints as well.
            Done, though they were allowed to keep their pictures? You ever hear of the 'Piss Christ' display that did precisely that? They claimed to be 'artistic'.

"Free speech" has a limit within decency laws.
            If 'decency' is the standard, why then are equally gross holocaust pictures permitted?

Oh, and BTW, you better get ready for these pictures to come on your campus. The prolife club in Calgary is just getting warmed up.

I bet they'll get a better response out there than on the 'Left' coast.

It's a different situation entirely:
            one is during the holocust memorial week, one is during CLUB WEEK.
            Awesome! You'd let us have a Prolife week on campus.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln

No wonder the United States and Canada went their seperate ways. What if the guy deserves to have his standing in the community lowered? Should we still retend that he is an upstanding individual so we don't have to go to jail for teling the truth?
              Truth is a defence against libel in Canada and the United States.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Asher:

First off, I was there, I'm considered a primary source.
                Yes, a primary source with an agenda.

If 'decency' is the standard, why then are equally gross holocaust pictures permitted?
                Did you register a complaint with the SU as several people did for your display?

Oh, and BTW, you better get ready for these pictures to come on your campus. The prolife club in Calgary is just getting warmed up.

I bet they'll get a better response out there than on the 'Left' coast.
                I'd doubt it, Calgary may be right-wing but not religiously so. You need to go out to rural Alberta to find the religious right-wingers.

Not to mention that my university simply doesn't permit that kind of display on campus. In fact there was a recent issue about even allowing topless "artwork" in the halls, and they were forced to take them down.

Awesome! You'd let us have a Prolife week on campus.
                Hey, why not. We've got a gay week, why not a pro-life week?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  How about posting your abortion pic so we can judge.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

• Uh, no.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• It is wrong and Obi-wan and his friends are from the sound of it probably the objects of wrongful discrimination, but there isn't much one can do about it, short of abolishing the student union and student politics - since whoever's on top will tend to behave badly. I actually favour this last option, since I can't remember anything good coming out of student politics that wasn't adequately encouraged by some other organisation.

I agree. Student politics is basically a farce and popularity contest. Nothing good really comes out of it.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

When fat people, or WASP men, become the targets of violence based on hatred to any significant degree, then they too could come under the protection of our anti-hate legislation.
                        Don't laugh! The US Bureau of Justice does include a category for hate crimes against white men not related to sexual orientation. IIRC it is one of the larger categories of violent hate crimes. In the United States evidently everyone is covered against hate crimes, even WASPS. The moral of that is that in the US don't shout a racial, religious, or sexual slur before you assault or murder someone.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai

Truth is a defence against libel in Canada and the United States.
                          Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln

Thanks for clearing that up.
                            It would be insane if it weren't.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Of course ignore the other cites listed in the ad .
                              to you as well. Why don't you actually read the cites in their contexts? Romans also says that homosexuals are worthy of death, Leviticus 18 says that they shall be "vomited out," of the land, and 1 Corinthians says they'll go to hell.

Keep in mind one of the primary targets of this law is people like Fred Phelps--people who really do openly call for killing homosexuals.

If I saw the Klan or a Nazi group posting a picture of a Star of David with a slash through it, the first thing I think of is that they want to kill Jews. Considering the past history, it's a reasonable assumption.

The same holds true for fanatical religious fundamentalists posting images of gays with slashes through them.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Romans also says that homosexuals are worthy of death, Leviticus 18 says that they shall be "vomited out," of the land, and 1 Corinthians says they'll go to hell.

So going to Hell and being 'vomited out' of the land means commit genocide against them?

Yeah..
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X