Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Christian Sabbath on Sunday, and not Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In France, Germany and Belgium, weeks begin on Monday. I wonder which countries, other than the US, begin their weeks on sundays.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If it really bother you, think about it this way. Saturday and Sunday are at the two ends of the week. It's very simple.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Christ rose on Sunday, hence the Christians moved the Sabbath to coincide with Easter.
        Actually, this may be true, but I'm pretty sure that this was started around the time of Constantine and the Council of Nicaea. Could be wrong, though.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          If it really bother you, think about it this way. Saturday and Sunday are at the two ends of the week. It's very simple.
          Any thing that needs this srt of 'clarfication' is never "simple".

Who here starts counting the day on sunday?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            Everyone knew the millenium started in 2001, NOT 2000. But everyone still celebrated in 2000, not 2001.
            Actually, most people didn't know that. When the news got around, it was too late to cancel the stupid celerations, so they went ahead anyway.

Stupid lazy PR twits.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Vesayen:

Christ rose on Sunday, hence the Christians moved the Sabbath to coincide with Easter.
              We don't know that.

David Floyd's got it right: Sunday worship was instituted by Constantine, who co-opted a pagan Sabbath (the Day of the Sun) for his purposes. It's part of the long history of Christianity co-opting aspects of paganism to win converts.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

GePap: You're not alone; Turkish calendars are printed with Monday as the first day of the week. Of course, whether you want to feel validated by the Turks is another question.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

no one acts like Sunday was the first day of the week in the West.

EVERYONE that I know of in the US considers Sunday to be the first day of the week. You have one day before and after the 'work week' off.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's to commemorate the pagan sun-god which christ replaced (at least offically). The birthday of christ was also moved to the birth of the sun (midwinter).
                    får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Rufus:

We don't know that.
                      What day of the week Christ died?

They did have calendars back then, Rufus.

What do you make of this?

"It is not until about A.D. 150 that we find any clear and unmistakable reference to a regular meeting of Christians for worship, including the Eucharist, on the ‘day of the Sun’

Justin, I Apology 67)" (ibid., p. 280).
                      Emperor Constantine was not even born until 275 AD.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        Bah, this is like the millenium issue. Everyone knew the millenium started in 2001, NOT 2000. But everyone still celebrated in 2000, not 2001. Same things here: fine, the nerds can tell us technically Sunday is the first day, but no one acts like Sunday was the first day of the week in the West.
                        0. What is this "millenium" you speak off and does it have anything to do with a "millennium"?

1. Most people celebrated both.

2. You are right. I was raised with Monday as the first day of the week. Let's burn the unbelievers.:P
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

there may have been people who worshipped on sunday before the council (which was in the early 300s AD)

I mean it makes sense to associate less with the jews (at least arround 75 ad) and more with the sun worshippers who were the most common at that time

but it was not officially (if you count those people as official) changed until that council

and yes, in the US the week starts with Sunday

I will just put in (As some know) that I consider the Sabbath as Saturday

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I beleive that there is a catholic catechism about changing the day of worship from sunday to saturday

don't recall which one though

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              Rufus:

What day of the week Christ died?

They did have calendars back then, Rufus.
                              I don't recall any biblical mention of the Sabbath in relationship to Christ's crucifixion, which would be one way to argue with certainty that he rose the day after the Jewish Sabbath. So, yes, we had calendars, but can we date this? Or is the Friday-Sunday timeline for the resurrection just a convention, like Dec. 25?

What do you make of this?

Emperor Constantine was not even born until 275 AD.
                              That some early Christians practiced worship on Sunday -- and some did not. It doesn't change the fact that the Sabbath was officially set by Constantine.

Comment

there is discussion of the Sabbath related to Christs death

according to the gospels Christ rose on a sunday

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X