Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has this gay related issue not been discussed here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has this gay related issue not been discussed here?

Granted I would have brought it up, but I've been banned for the last 3-4 months.

This has been going on for months now. The District Attorney in Kansas was originally going to push for life imprisonment for this poor kid. It is outrageous!

Lesbian & Gay Rights : Criminal Justice & Sodomy Laws

ACLU Asks Kansas Court to Overturn 17-Year Prison Sentence of Bisexual Teenager

August 11, 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TOPEKA, KS - Arguing that excluding gay teenagers from the Kansas "Romeo and Juliet" law is unconstitutional after the recent Supreme Court decision striking down sodomy laws, the American Civil Liberties Union today asked a state appeals court to free a bisexual teenager who is serving 17 years in prison for having oral sex with another young man.

Matthew Limon is appealing a 17-year prison sentence he received because shortly after he turned 18 he performed consensual oral sex on another teenager at a residential school for developmentally disabled youth where they both lived in Miami County, Kansas. If he had instead performed oral sex on a female of the same age, he would have received no more than 15 months in jail under the Kansas law. But because the "Romeo and Juliet" law applies only to heterosexuals, Limon was convicted under the much harsher state sodomy law.

"The Supreme Court clearly felt, as we do, that a great injustice has been done to Matthew Limon," said **** Kurtenbach, Executive Director of the ACLU of Kansas and Western Missouri. "Laws that punish lesbian, gay, and bisexual people far more harshly than heterosexuals for the same thing are simply discriminatory and wrong, and we hope that the Court of Appeals will agree."

Limon is serving 17 years in prison, instead of the 13 to 15 months he would have faced if he were heterosexual. The Kansas law makes sexual relations with a minor a lesser crime if both people are teens, but it only applies to opposite-sex relations. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court vacated Limon’s conviction and instructed the Kansas Court of Appeals to give it further consideration in light of the historic ruling on sexual intimacy in Lawrence v. Texas. The "Romeo and Juliet" law is similar to the Texas sodomy law because it treats the sexual conduct of lesbian and gay people differently.

"The Kansas court justified Matthew’s conviction on the basis that the Supreme Court had upheld anti-gay sodomy laws in its 1986 Bowers v. Hardwick ruling," said Tamara Lange, Limon’s attorney from the ACLU’s Lesbian and Gay Rights Project. "Now that Bowers has been overturned, the Kansas Court of Appeals should recognize that this young man should not spend more time in prison just because he’s bisexual."

Under the Kansas law, consensual oral sex between two teens is a lesser crime if the younger teenager is 14 to 16 years old, if the older teenager is under 19, if the age difference is less than four years, if there are no third parties involved, and if the two teenagers "are members of the opposite sex."

Following the Lawrence decision, many anti-gay laws could face similar legal challenges. The ACLU has developed "Get Busy, Get Equal," a public education campaign designed to help lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people take advantage of the historic Supreme Court ruling to push for equality. To support the campaign, the ACLU has launched a new website, http://www.aclu.org/getequal, that provides tools for fighting anti-gay discrimination, making schools safer for LGBT youth, and getting equality for LGBT relationships.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Don't they realize he's going to get more sodomy in prison than out.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I could swear we talked about the Romeo and Juliet law of Kansas in the begining of summer...

Comment

At a home for the developmentally disabled And they sentenced him to 17 years?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'd be awed if a Gay issue wasn't before the forum.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We did discuss this a while back. Yes, it was and is an absolute outrage. Fortunately, the recent SCOTUS decision pretty much nullifies his sentence, so hopefully he will get it overturned as soon as possible.

Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the difference between Islamic fundamentalist cultures and certain parts of the U.S....
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

SCOTUS decision pretty much nullifies his sentence
              Not really, as this falls under the category of statutory rape laws.

Comment

A gay-related issue...so who here has kids with homosexual in-laws?

Yeah, I crack me up.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Actually the sad thing about this is that the Kansas Appeals Court and the Kansas Supreme Court can refuse to hear this case, in which case it will have to go before the Supreme Court. By that time the Kind has already served many years. Though it would clarify once and for all whether sexual equality is required by law.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn

Not really, as this falls under the category of statutory rape laws.
                    Under which he can only get up to 15 months, not 17 years, because he wasn't convicted of statutory rape the first time, but sodomy. It was for sodomy that he got the sentence. That law is now null and void.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      It was for sodomy that he got the sentence. That law is now null and void.
                      It will depend on how the law is written. If it applies strictly to homosexual acts then you may be correct, but if it applies to everyone (in its legal language) then you may be wrong.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

It will depend on how the law is written. If it applies strictly to homosexual acts then you may be correct, but if it applies to everyone (in its legal language) then you may be wrong.
                        AFAIK, the SCOTUS ruling explicitely stated that private sexual conduct was not within the realm of legislative perview, so sodomy laws in general, not just ones targeting gays, were invalid.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

So where exactly do we draw the line on what is considered 'private sexual conduct'?

I've seen plenty of movies where a straight couple is in a juicy liplock in the middle of Times Square or MSG, and no-one complains, no matter WHO the actors are.

Why are people so offended if two people of the same sex do exactly the same thing in exactly the same place at (well, roughly) the same time?

Sometimes it seems as though people who share their private lives to the extent that their conduct can be "proven" in a court of law are merely crying out for some much-needed attention. Ben Affleck and Jho, for example, who obviously subscribe to the belief that no press is bad press.

They're lucky I haven't made it a personal crusade to destroy their pathetic lives. I've got bigger fish to fry.
                          -30-

Comment

edited in response to Ming warning
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; September 8, 2003, 23:36.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

That law is now null and void.
                              Retroactively?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X