This sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava
    Shame on me... explain why I am ignorant Harry...

the opinion which seems to be bothering you is that I think that there are less black rich and upper middle class proportionally than the rest of the economic classes... it's my personal observation... am I wrong? please educate me... if not... stop your pointless threadjack.
    Your opinion on the numbers and proportions of rich and middle class citizens is not what I've been arguing against. You seem to think that minorities have this raw deal and deserve special treatment because they are minorities. I think that's wrong. Poor education usually means poor schools. It appeared to me that you were equating minority education with poor education funding. I pointed out that rural white poor kids have the same predicament, whereupon you started in on the "rich white folk" angle. You seemed to be pulling numbers from somewhere; I just asked to see them. Now you're asking me to prove you wrong and accusing me of threadjacking. At least you admitted it was a personal opinion.

Is this a fair synopsis so far?

Comment

You seem to think that minorities have this raw deal and deserve special treatment because they are minorities.
      nope... read my posts...

Is this a fair synopsis so far?
      no... the above interpretation of my posts is where your train of thought flew off track.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Please correct me then.

Comment

I believe the education system as a whole should be changed so that EVERY CHILD, regardless of income, race, etc... receives an equal opprotunity. AA for the poor is just as wrong as AA for blacks.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yet, Sava does feel that currently, Blacks and other minorities would be discrimiated against if not for AA... Right?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
              Damn, DF, looks like you might have to see a non-caucasian from time to time at school.
              ^^^^^^^^obviously has never visited UT campus
              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                Yet, Sava does feel that currently, Blacks and other minorities would be discrimiated against if not for AA... Right?
                I can't speculate on that hypothetical... my point, which I have made repeatedly, is that white's AREN'T suffering from discrimination as anti-AA people have been saying.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Then they should have a lottery for admissions. That begs the question of how daddy's little boy/girl gets in, though.

That sounds alot like the "no child left behind" crap. I don't believe that will work. All it will do is lower our education standards even further. I attended a college that believed this and it turned out that during our term we spent half the time learning new theory and application and the other half trying to grind the first half into the heads of the idiots in the class who just didn't get it.

Comment

Lots of good points. Income based AA is just bursaries, and they should be available to qualified applicants to the universities.

We don't have that problem here in Canada, rather the opposite, in that we do not have enough university spaces for the students.

Our averages hover at around 82% for people just to get in, and that has risen around 4% just over the last 5 years!
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Oh, yes, horrid AA.I mean, it has even brought the pecentages of black and hispanic students into some colleges into double digits! (nowhere near their percentage fo the local population still). We can have that many "darkies" reading books!!

I went to an extremely competaive high school, mostly white and asian, the sort of school in which 99% go on to college and 20-25% to Ivy leagues. Now, the thing was, so many kids from that one high school aplied to the ivy leagues that our chances to get in actually went down..after all, if 50 kids from our school apply, and 20 are fully qualified, that still means 20 kids in one Ivy class from the same single highschool!? Can't possibly have that! So we will let in less qualified students from other highschools in, simply to avoid so damn many kids from the same highschool.......and this sort of blatant discrimination against middle class white, jewish and asian kids from the tri-state area is rampant out east, just cause there are too damn many qualified applicants..so any of you kids from the cornbelt and out in loony land out west, know that even if a lesser candidate, you stand a better chance to get into presigeous East coast schools!

(maybe people out west give a damn about AA much more cause public u's set up wth state aid handle most education, as opposed to the thirving private university industry that controls the east).
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        Your arguing with me as if I were a supporter of AA... perhaps you got the wrong idea somewhere. Reread my earlier posts to find out what I believe.
                        I'm not arguing with you. I just used your statement as a jumping off point

Just out of curiosity I started looking at some schools in my home state. I went to Arkansas State and was surprised because I thought there were more minorities there. Here is the website I found that gives some basic info on schools around the country.

Arkansas State

University Makeup (2000-2001)
                        # of Undergrads: 9,426
                        # of Grad students: 1,142
                        Total Students: 10,568
                        42% Male, 58% Female

International: 1.2%
                        African-American: 12.6%
                        American Indian: 0.2%
                        Asian: 0.7%
                        Hispanic: 12.6%
                        Caucasian (non-hispan): 84.2%
                        Unknown: 0.3%

University Of Arkansas

University Makeup (2002-2003)
                        # of Undergrads: 12,818
                        # of Grad students: 2,934
                        Total Students: 15,752
                        52% Male, 48% Female

International: 3.2%
                        African-American: 6.1%
                        American Indian: 2.0%
                        Asian: 2.7%
                        Hispanic: 6.1%
                        Caucasian (non-hispan): 83.3%
                        Unknown: 1.1%
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          Oh, yes, horrid AA.I mean, it has even brought the pecentages of black and hispanic students into some colleges into double digits! (nowhere near their percentage fo the local population still). We can have that many "darkies" reading books!!

I went to an extremely competaive high school, mostly white and asian, the sort of school in which 99% go on to college and 20-25% to Ivy leagues. Now, the thing was, so many kids from that one high school aplied to the ivy leagues that our chances to get in actually went down..after all, if 50 kids from our school apply, and 20 are fully qualified, that still means 20 kids in one Ivy class from the same single highschool!? Can't possibly have that! So we will let in less qualified students from other highschools in, simply to avoid so damn many kids from the same highschool.......and this sort of blatant discrimination against middle class white, jewish and asian kids from the tri-state area is rampant out east, just cause there are too damn many qualified applicants..so any of you kids from the cornbelt and out in loony land out west, know that even if a lesser candidate, you stand a better chance to get into presigeous East coast schools!

(maybe people out west give a damn about AA much more cause public u's set up wth state aid handle most education, as opposed to the thirving private university industry that controls the east).
                          So did you go to an Ivy league school? Regardless of race, did having less competitive students not make you feel that your Ivy league experience was less valuable because maybe you aren't challenged as much? I equate this to some of my certifications. With boot camps and cheat sheets unqualified and ignorant people can attain a certification in technology. I'm good at what I do but my certifications are becoming meaningless because of unqualified people are making them so. This is a fairly extreme example but it has the potential to spread to college degrees and such.

Comment

this is a perfect AA thread. you've got people complaining about it first off, the usual suspects defending it, bods trolling and sava being an ignorant dickhead. what more do you want.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Here's a novel idea. Don't include any space for race on university applications. Have the application review process set up so that the names aren't even visible to those reviewing the application, that way only those with the best qualifications are accepted
                              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Hmm.. I suspect the # of Asians here at UT will drop next year..

Comment

Working...
                                X