No announcement yet.

What is your greatest value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, but if you can't say definitively whether something is or is not wisdom, or any other quality you care to name, the word becomes nothing more than a vague description given to a not-necessarily-existent idea.
    Like "cool," for instance. Are you cool? More importantly, does anyone care whether they're cool or not, seeing as we can't even agree on the exact nature of the trait? If you say, "you're pretty cool!" you're expressing some form of approval somehow, but for all the actual meaning conveyed you might as well have said, "you're pretty floggabooble!"
    You see what I'm getting at? For practical purposes, if you cannot give a reasonably exact definition of a concept that concept might as well not exist. Which is why I say cynicism isn't wisdom. That in itself is not a definition of wisdom itself, any more than saying that "hungry" is not a verb is a definition of the word "hungry."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

*turns off computer, and goes to watch some 'Friends' reruns*
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Oh, I constantly grow out of cynicsm in being all idealistic and such ... its a 3 or hm actually 4 way cycle.
        a) you are idealistic
        b) you gain wisdom thrue experience and observation
        c) you get cynic
        d) you get tired of cynicsm and hope jumps in, reinforcing idealism, although you dont forget ...

cycle repeats...

Ok probably I got just some mental disorder or something, but since Im in status c) atm I dont give a damn (hm actually on the edge to d) I guess since I do a little...) ...
        If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

My visual IQ is 160.

Comment

ock = ok but ausgesprochen as a word not an abkürzung

Comment

I can think of two. I'm not sure if I can trim this to one:

Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength,

Love your neighbour as yourself.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

bull**** obiwan, he's asking for YOUR qualities!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  Cynicism isn't wisdom. It's an impediment to wisdom, since it causes you to automatically assume that anything you are told is false until it is proven true by ludicrously rigorous testing, and therefore it's almost impossible for a cynic to learn or grow in any way.
                  Firstly, that's not cynicism, that's skepticism. Secondly, that's not how skepticism works. Thirdly, skepticism is a defense against worthless mumble jumble.

Originally posted by Elok
                  Wisdom is the realization, acceptance, and ability to deal with and use the truth in a mature fashion, not to grab what little you can and hide with it like a turtle in its shell.
                  What is "truth?"
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ich bin ein grosse Scheissekopf

danke Andz und DanielXYZ von Flyopen
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Loyalty

and a single track mind (i guess thats both an adv and disadv)
                      :-p

Comment

lonn-donn
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

what the hell is lonn-donn?
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Firstly, that's not cynicism, that's skepticism. Secondly, that's not how skepticism works. Thirdly, skepticism is a defense against worthless mumble jumble.
                            What is "truth?"
                            Whoops, I always get the two mixed up. I stand by my comments about the stupidity of blind *skepticism* though. If you have no reason to believe someone is lying to you or mistaken(which most people do not), you're wasting enormous amounts of time and energy.
                            And truth is the opposite of falsehood and foolishness. If you want a definition of everything it encompasses, well, I don't know it all and I don't think there's enough space on this server.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ted, Andz will know..
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

better than Lun-dun

Comment

Working...
                                X